Sun 21 Mar: CC1: Featherstone Rovers v Bradford Bulls KO 15:00 (BBC Sport)

Who will win?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Featherstone Rovers
    • Bradford Bulls

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/03/21 at 15:30

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

41:16 in the end. Featherstone look like they haven't sat out a season. Bradford do.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pretty much as I expected, Featherstone a cut above, and our lot looking very much not at the races.

Definitely some issues around physicality for the Bulls, a few players need to get on a diet! Despite that, some really soft defence and impotent in attack as well. We're going to struggle to finish top half on that showing.

As for Fev, as most of us expected, one of the favourites for promotion - and probably plenty of improvement to come when they get their full team on the field

This commentary on red button is diabolical. Who and why is this woman with verbal diarrhea who can't shut up, contributes nothing and thinks its a radio programme. And then disappears at half time when there is a window.

6 minutes ago, bird said:

This commentary on red button is diabolical. Who and why is this woman with verbal diarrhea who can't shut up, contributes nothing and thinks its a radio programme. And then disappears at half time when there is a window.

She usually commentates on York's games on BBC local radio. I think she comes across well on the radio - but needs to learn that TV commentary is a different skill

If you would have said 41 - 16 before the game, I'd have taken that result. 

Both teams look scratchy, Bradford more so. It's going to take another month at least for players getting back into it. 

I'd say a good, steady overall performance from Fev. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Was very impressed with Fev. Some bright spells from Bulls which bode well if they can build on them. Enjoyed the coverage and commentary (nice that my Tweet was read out too!) #BBCRL ended up being second highest trending hashtag this afternoon. 

37 minutes ago, bird said:

She is Radio Yorks commentator 

SNAFU

In previous years, would there be several live first round games on any of the main channels?  

In previous years would we have been happy with maybe Ray French commentating?

Far better in my view that the commentator talks too much than not enough. That way, turning the volume down/off will help.  If the commentator doesn't talk enough, turning the volume on/up won't help.

Of course, the ref was not up to much, so no change there either. 

All so bloody predictable...and the season hasn't really started yet!

God know what this forum will be like next weekend!

46 minutes ago, bird said:

I bet Sharon Shortle can spell, though! 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 

You can contact her and offer her your advice here:

Sharon Shortle (@RYSport) / Twitter

22 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I bet Sharon Shortle can spell, though! 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 

You can contact her and offer her your advice here:

Sharon Shortle (@RYSport) / Twitter

I thought Sharon did a good job it's not easy at the start of the season with so many new players.Dave Woods gave her licence to hog the mic and she does need to learn to take a breath now and again.She didn't detract from the performance on the field.

3 minutes ago, POR said:

what pleased me most was that  after a years inactivity FEV looked lean and fit

That struck me too. They looked in really good shape while Bradford's big lads were blowing for a tug.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

The play-by-play commentary was good and better (in my opinion) than one or two of Sky’s commentators. Dave Woods rambled on a bit too much at times though, but overall I thought she was decent.

It’s a shame the overall production looked like it’d been done for 45p, but I imagine it’ll get better for the next rounds.

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I thought Sharon did a good job it's not easy at the start of the season with so many new players.Dave Woods gave her licence to hog the mic and she does need to learn to take a breath now and again.She didn't detract from the performance on the field.

she was OK when just commentating on the actual play... it was all the other chatter, I guess learning off the SKY chatterbox chuckle partners... I would guess she will improve with some BBC TV commentary coaching and good to hear someone different...

I thought Fev went to sleep, thinking they'd done enough, and then realised they hadm't.  Can't see James Harrison being long at Fev.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

I thought Fev went to sleep, thinking they'd done enough, and then realised they hadm't.  Can't see James Harrison being long at Fev.

His dad wasn't, i was in the club house one night after training and Karl had been in to see the commitee.As he came out after about 20 min a supporter near me said is it enough Karl.Harrison replied it's never enough.I think he is right our players dig deep and put their bodies on the line compared with some other sports they do deserve more.I think most clubs would agree but they simply can't afford it.

11 hours ago, Trojan said:

He's under contract to Fev this year and it's hard to envisage any scenario where he might leave in 2021, he's a valuable part of the hoped-for promotion push and he wouldn't be worth the transfer fee (plus salary) that would be needed for a SL club to pry him away.

Equally, though, it's hard NOT to see him being in SL in 2022, whether or not Fev get promoted, as he's out of contract after this year.

15 hours ago, redjonn said:

she was OK when just commentating on the actual play... it was all the other chatter, I guess learning off the SKY chatterbox chuckle partners... I would guess she will improve with some BBC TV commentary coaching and good to hear someone different...

I thought she was pretty good, a lot, lot better than some of the BBC commentary we've had in the past.

Must be difficult to do the commentary when you're not there in person. In the WWR vs Widnes game, none of the interchanges or WWR players going off injured was commented on, because the camera wasn't showing it. 

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

Must be difficult to do the commentary when you're not there in person. In the WWR vs Widnes game, none of the interchanges or WWR players going off injured was commented on, because the camera wasn't showing it. 

Yep BBC need to up their game now the RFL have set up the Our League coverage

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I must admit, I'm hoping to pay £5 for the OurLeague coverage of the Fev game next week rather than watch on the Beeb for free based on this weekend.

I agree and heard this said a lot

37 minutes ago, JonM said:

Must be difficult to do the commentary when you're not there in person. 

There's been a good example of this on Sky Cricket this summer where the commentary has been from a studio by people who are normally in the ground. It's quite telling how little they are able to talk as they now can't see it. So they often are just guessing that there should be a fielder there (or not there) but have to wait to see on the screen like the rest of us.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived