Barrow in the cup.

jroyales

Well we have had two friendlies now the fun really starts!

According to the press, Barrow haven't had ant pre-season games which should suggest we are better placed.

It will be very interesting what team Diskin puts out. Theoretically, it has to be his strongest side with the forced omissions of Leaming and Joy. But will he? He can't afford to lose to Barrow but he can't continue tinkering with his side either. The new season begins the week after, so he must have a settled side for Swinton, again a game against a side we can't afford to lose against.

2 hours ago, jroyales said:

Well we have had two friendlies now the fun really starts!

According to the press, Barrow haven't had ant pre-season games which should suggest we are better placed.

It will be very interesting what team Diskin puts out. Theoretically, it has to be his strongest side with the forced omissions of Leaming and Joy. But will he? He can't afford to lose to Barrow but he can't continue tinkering with his side either. The new season begins the week after, so he must have a settled side for Swinton, again a game against a side we can't afford to lose against.

The new season begins the week after, NO it's next round of cup so if you win you will be away to swinton or newcastle on sat 27th 

league starts on the  weekend starting 2nd April  were as you say play swinton at home on 2nd

Should be a good game this. We definitely have the advantage of playing the two friendlies and over the course of the game I think this will show. That Barrow team is pretty impressive though with some quality players like Ritson,Forster and Walne brothers.

Happy to see Barran get another chance at scrum half as he's been very impressive. Think the big question in the backs is if Ince play centre or wing. If centre i'd play Holcroft left wing next to him. If Ince is wing that left centre role is wide open between Hartley or Roberts. Would like to see Nelmes start and get us going forward right from the off with no Joy.

Interesting how Langtree and Bridge have swapped sides as well. Langers has always played right and Bridgey left but Diskin must have seen something in training to swap them around. 

Oldham by 12 for me

50 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Tannoy operator needs learn how to fade in and out the chanting.

I could see (hear) what they were trying to do...... not sure it was the greatest idea....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

20-6. Their try scored after pick was binned. Pleased that we scored while still down to 12 men. Thought we started to look a little more consistent than the last 2 games. Like Barren with his little dummies and passes. As someone else previously said, good to have an attacking scrum half at last. The pack looked strong.Good  all round team effort that can only get better. Swinton or Newcastle,  though, will be a tougher proposition and a much bigger test.

Strong effort to beat a courageous but not match fit Barrow side. Ben Heaton's pass for the try after half time was magnificent and the game breaker for me, especially as we were down to 12 men at the time. Some incisive Langtree involvements and big effort from all, the forwards especially. Still early days but cutting out errors and sharpening up moves and decision making in key areas is a priority for me.  Tyler Dupree was immense. And I'd have paid to watch Pick versus Adam Walne alone. Great stuff. 

Comfortable win but not the dominant performance it could and should have been. Any time we got a roll on through the middle we would waste our advantage with a silly error or look to go to wide too early when it wasn't required.

Dupree was absolutely sensational. We've found a cracker there as they simply couldn't stop him and if we use him correctly we could have a weapon there. If we had played off  Dupree and supported his carries we would have won much more comfortably as he was dominating on every carry. Langtree was superb as usual setting one up, scoring another and making plenty of huge carries. Thought Roberts looked very good at centre and will be an excellent option at centre. Owen was much improved I thought playing huge minutes at hooker. Pick's shot on Walne was legendary and we were wincing at home from the contact.

For the downsides today I'd say we lost our way just before half time with Pick's silly card and then very slack defence down the right from Brierley and Abram letting Shaw score what was a great individual try. Reilly and Kirk both had very little impact on the game again as did Benty who got absolutely walloped a few times in the second half by their big lads.

Also on the new rules i'm not sure they work too well for part timers especially the one on one steal rule. It's great in the NRL but for semi pro's it just looked ugly and the ball was ripped way too many times to be a great game to watch.

I know Dave and Danny have their hands full at the game and with the covid protocols its difficult for them to do but no updates on twitter for a official game seems pretty average.

It was an entertaining game and certainly full blooded. It’s great to have rugby league back.

The game had a lot of handling errors and set completion rates were not high but Oldham’s quality shone through, especially as Barrow started to tire. At one point in the first half Owen was just trying to calm the lads down as we were keen to spread the ball to the edges early in sets when we just needed the forwards to do the work down the middle and build a platform.

We took our tries well, especially Danny Langtree who picked the ball out of the air like an outside back.

There'll be a few sore bodies today but the win will stand us in good stead for the start of the league campaign.

I enjoyed Darren Abram’s comments during the game. Good memories of watching him at Watersheddings. I read somewhere where he was called a journeyman player-but I never saw him let anyone down and his runs to the try line were often excellent. Top scorer or thereabouts for a good few seasons. Must have been odd for him to be commenting on his son.

Stats-

Abram-3 tackles. one miss.5 tackle busts. one clean break. 14 carries=112m

Brierley-6 tackles. 3 misses. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. 12 carries=84m

Heaton-15 tackles. one miss. one offload. 10 tackle busts. one try assist. 14 carries=61m

Roberts-18 tackles. one miss. one offload. 5 tackle busts. one clean break. 17 carries=118m

Ince-one tackle. one tackle bust. 14 carries=82m

Charnock-26 tackles. 4 misses. 3 tackle busts. 7 carries=54m

Barran-20 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. one try assist. 6 carries=30m

Nelmes-40 tackles. one miss. one offload. 2 tackle busts. 17 carries=110m

Owen-34 tackles. 4 misses. 3 tackle busts. 8 carries=37m

Kirk-19 tackles. one tackle bust. 14 carries=75m

Langtree-30 tackles. 6 misses. 2 offloads. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. one try assist. 20 carries=161m

Bridge-30 tackles. one miss. 2 offloads. 4 tackle busts. 21 carries=151m

Bent-35 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust.  14 carries=41m

subs

Reilly-6 tackles. one miss. 4 carries=17m

Dupree-23 tackles. 3 misses. 2 ofloads. 11 tackle busts. 19 carries=160m

Pick-18 tackles. 2 misses. 11 carries=78m

Gregory-11 tackles. one miss. one offload. 2 carries=9m

Outstanding stats for Langtree,Bridge and Dupree with Roberts, Nelmes and Heaton also showing up very well. 

Archived