Coventry Bears announce plans for community clubs

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

This is excellent news and great to see that venues have now been chosen for these clubs. 

I am still waiting for Newbe to issue an apology after claiming this funding had disappeared into a black hole! Yes I've not forgotten! 

I bet he doesn’t appear on this topic

This is truly awesome news and a huge well done and congratulations is in order to the Coventry bears who along with the Newcastle thunder are leading the charge in the expansion and laying down of roots for the game of RL in England.

Hopefully this is just the beginning and the success of these new community clubs will lead to the game at the grassroots level mushrooming with even more new community clubs sprouting up in new locations all over the West Midlands which has a huge urbanised population centre within a crazy short distance span.

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

More great news. The RFL should be backing the great work done in the North East by Newcastle and Coventry in the West Midlands with as much finding as possible. Focus on developing those clusters.

Exactly. Strike while the iron is hot!!!

As much funding and time on the ground in the way of coaching clinics and school training sessions as possible along with increased number of high level events like magic weekend, challenge cup semi-final double headers and internationals held in both Newcastle and Coventry.

Well done Coventry for flying the West Midlands flag. Juniors are definitely the way to go and strong school links are the tried and tested method. 

With Bassetlaw Bulldogs (In partnership with the local council, RFL and Sport England) starting work in the next month on their new £170k pavilion, there’s plenty to shout about in the Midlands for junior rugby league.

45 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Well done Coventry for flying the West Midlands flag. Juniors are definitely the way to go and strong school links are the tried and tested method. 

With Bassetlaw Bulldogs (In partnership with the local council, RFL and Sport England) starting work in the next month on their new £170k pavilion, there’s plenty to shout about in the Midlands for junior rugby league.

Love it. Hopefully the east will eventually meet and link up with the west and form a chain of untold numbers of community clubs throughout the entire region.

4 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

This is excellent news and great to see that venues have now been chosen for these clubs. 

I am still waiting for Newbe to issue an apology after claiming this funding had disappeared into a black hole! Yes I've not forgotten! 

Armchair critics and baseless accusations often go hand in hand.

14 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Great news, especially the fact that they can play each other. I'll be keen to hear what the conversion rate is like from school to club. Outlaws ran a programme in schools a few years back and never saw the transfer to club RL we hoped for, though we were never sure why that was the case! 

Did you run it again? How many times? Are the schools still playing?

I went to see my team play Coventry in 2015 not long after my dad died.

My team ran riot and had a field day and ran up a big score.

But I was very impressed with the stadium and facilities.

And I think that these initiatives by Coventry are the right way to build something that is sustainable and that will(and it will do)bear fruit especially as they will have the West Midlands to themselves and will draw a lot of support from that region. And they will do Mark my words.

And I think within the next few years they will do a Newcastle and they will get to the Championship and I think they will become an established Championship club one day with healthy attendance figures.

I think their future is a bright one.

2 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

We ran it just the once. If I remember rightly (I wasn't particularly closely with it) we got a grant to train ~12 student RL players from our partner universities and send them into schools to run the sessions for an 8 week block. Unfortunately then a lot of the students graduated and moved on. We were pretty constrained in that the more permanent members of the club all have full time jobs! 

The schools aren't still playing, but we do have a couple of schools playing RL in Nottingham, mainly where we have teachers associated with the club. Definitely an area we could be better at though.

I worked as a development officer (in Wales) at about the same time that Mick Hogan worked in Gateshead (as a D.O.).

Our brief as to ''Raise awareness and encourage participation'' of/in Rugby League. The specification was wooly but the scheme was in its infancy and we were making it up as we went along.

We were going into schools with ''Puma Little League'' a fantastic modified version of RL for kids and we went in for a half term (6 weeks) period and then withdrew.

The PLL booklet had 6 lesson plans which introduced complete beginners to Little League over the six week period. The kids loved it, boys and girls alike and then on week 3 or 4 when we introduced tackling the group split into two. Those that wanted to play tackle and those that didn't.

No problem, we offered tackle, for the ruffians and touch for the purists.

At the end we withdrew and after raising the kids hopes and expectations the game collapsed behind us.

It was at that time, that I decided to rehash our ''sales presentation''. Rather than present it as an experience of Rugby League, for kids, I presented it as an ''In-service'' training opportunity for young teachers, using the kids as a medium in order to equip, enable and empower, young teachers with the ability to teach a new game during games lessons.

They (the teachers) would finish with a Nationally recognised coaching qualification, (which looks really good on their CV). The ''cost'' to the school was zero, but they had to commit to fulfilling their part of the bargain which was:- At the end, the school teachers, had to attend a one day coaching course, which got them the Grade 1 RL coaching award as a supplement to the 6 weeks in-service training. In addition, they had to commit, to entering their class into our Puma Little League competition till the year end. The comp was a tournament based competition with each school hosting one ''event'', run by us but with the teachers referreeing the games.

It worked. When we left the school the teachers had the equipment, the knowledge and the qualifications (and the enthusiasm) to continue after we withdrew, so the game carried on without us.

The key to the success of the programme was the shift in the presentation of the offering, from a ''bit of fun'' for the kids, to a professional in-service training package for young career building teachers.

The first was a waste of precious resources (leading to significant disappointment for the kids), the second ensuring the continuation of the game yielding a ''return'' on the investment of precious resources.

This is one of the reasons I keep banging on about Newcastle, (or someone) writing a ''how-to'' guide for development areas so that they get the biggest return on their efforts by operating as efficiently as possible and not being disappointed with the results of their development work.  

31 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

At the end we withdrew and after raising the kids hopes and expectations the game collapsed behind us.

It was at that time, that I decided to rehash our ''sales presentation''. Rather than present it as an experience of Rugby League, for kids, I presented it as an ''In-service'' training opportunity for young teachers, using the kids as a medium in order to equip, enable and empower, young teachers with the ability to teach a new game during games lessons.

They (the teachers) would finish with a Nationally recognised coaching qualification, (which looks really good on their CV). The ''cost'' to the school was zero, but they had to commit to fulfilling their part of the bargain which was:- At the end, the school teachers, had to attend a one day coaching course, which got them the Grade 1 RL coaching award as a supplement to the 6 weeks in-service training. In addition, they had to commit, to entering their class into our Puma Little League competition till the year end. The comp was a tournament based competition with each school hosting one ''event'', run by us but with the teachers referreeing the games.

It worked. When we left the school the teachers had the equipment, the knowledge and the qualifications (and the enthusiasm) to continue after we withdrew, so the game carried on without us.

Brilliant bit of lateral thinking.

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/03/2021 at 18:30, Saint 1 said:

Great news, especially the fact that they can play each other. I'll be keen to hear what the conversion rate is like from school to club. Outlaws ran a programme in schools a few years back and never saw the transfer to club RL we hoped for, though we were never sure why that was the case! 

Parents?

Other sports taking precident like union or soccer?

Did anyone go into schools and ask the question why?

I am loving what the bears and Newcastle are doing, even west wales!

Unless I am miss-informed the RFL are failing these expansion areas greatly (I know west wales do not come under the RFL) there should be development officers based in each area supporting the development.

Congratulations.

Conversion rate to senior rl is difficult,aswith all sports including union,cricket,tennis etc. I'm afraid after school,they tend to find wine,women and song! However,they tend to keep their interest,even if only as spectators,sponsors,admin etc.

Archived