Coventry Bears announce plans for community clubs

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/04/2021 at 22:51, yipyee said:

I am loving what the bears and Newcastle are doing, even west wales!

Unless I am miss-informed the RFL are failing these expansion areas greatly (I know west wales do not come under the RFL) there should be development officers based in each area supporting the development.

Hopefully these clubs can continue to increase the amount of community clubs in their regions and become strong professional clubs. 

It seems like the All Golds have similar plans for Bristol and the surrounding area.

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

Hopefully these clubs can continue to increase the amount of community clubs other regions and become strong professional clubs. 

It seems like the All Golds have similar plans for Bristol and the surrounding area.

Not sure why I'm quoting myself here

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

Most current runners and riders for the coming season. Variable playing numbers/teams across the age groups.

image.png.bb18cbfe2fabde4f8a9c3d649a9ed20c.png

I was wondering where Redditch were but I see they’ve rebranded as North East Worcestershire Ravens. That’s a mouthful. 

Do Birmingham Bulldogs no longer exist? 

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I was wondering where Redditch were but I see they’ve rebranded as North East Worcestershire Ravens. That’s a mouthful. 

Do Birmingham Bulldogs no longer exist? 

NEW Ravens is easier! 

Birmingham Bulldogs have a senior team only, I think.

2 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

It is accurate in that they are the teams who have signalled intent to take part in junior activity this year. 

That's a good healthy number of clubs. Really good to see and hopefully there'll be lots of opportunities for games 

11 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

NEW Ravens is easier! 

Birmingham Bulldogs have a senior team only, I think.

Do you have some detail on Scunthorpe and why are they down as RUFC or is that a typo?

I remember a Scunthorpe senior team in Yorkshire men’s leagues previously, although think many were union players then 

These stories always warm me up. They make me feel good.

I love the idea of people running around on the weekend with a rugby league ball, just because they like it better than all the other alternatives that life offers them. It tells me, that if all these people in the midlands are making this choice then I know there loads and loads more of them the country over.

How do i know that? Because they are good people, salt of the earth types.

Their not odd, or possessed, or deviant, or queer. They are good people and there are a lot more of them, people like us, who would choose rugby league, if the opportunity appeared to them and existed consistently, for long enough for them to pass through their trial periods where they just ''suck it and see'' or ''try it on for size'', and then finally make their choice, to stick with it for a lifetime.

Congratulations to Coventry, to Newcastle, to Bristol and Wales and all the other people, (the world over, whoever's doing it) for providing that opportunity for people to give it a go.

If you keep showing new people this fantastic game, it will continue to grow and our future is secured.

Well done, and a sincere thank you for believing in the innate quality of the game as a mass participation sport and for putting your ingenuity and your energy towards proving you're right.

58 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Do you have some detail on Scunthorpe and why are they down as RUFC or is that a typo?

I remember a Scunthorpe senior team in Yorkshire men’s leagues previously, although think many were union players then 

The guy at Scunthorpe RU is a former league guy and they are getting involved in some of the summer activity.

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

Do Coventry Bears run an academy or Scholarship or have plans to start them?

Would be good if there was a pathway for any talented juniors to progress into the Bears first team

There's a scholarship with Coventry University, the Bears have had several players through that route. 

They used to work closely with the midlands academy but since funding was pulled that has disbanded. I believe the Bears have plans to create a new academy at some point in the future, though the focus at the moment is on the new junior clubs. 

2 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I think the naming and branding is spot on in terms of attracting kids to play the game. The proof will be in the pudding this summer 

Good luck with it, please let us know, how things develop? 

On 27/04/2021 at 20:15, JM2010 said:

Hopefully these clubs can continue to increase the amount of community clubs in their regions and become strong professional clubs. 

Amazes me why the All Golds don’t target Swindon instead of Bristol as it’s a decent sized town of nearly 230k with no professional union side compared to Bristol which has the massive union club and 2 football sides.

One hope for the growth in the Midlands and North-East is that we might finally get away from over-emphasis on the pro-game and top-down development. This albatross has its roots in 1895.

If a town in the midlands had no pro-team but more registrations and volunteers than a town in West Yorkshire which did have a pro team, we might start to think differently about what constitutes a RL heartland.

Archived