Fumbleball again showing it's fear of Rugby League

@The Rocketi can appreciate that AFL is not your game. However as a prime fan of both League and AFL, I am speaking with a level of non-bias that this forum rarely witnesses.

I appreciate the toughness of League, but anyone that denounced the toughness required to play elite AFL are either ignorant or unwilling. The toughness required in AFL is extremely different to the toughness required in League, but in little way less tough.

Whilst you may not consider the sport an entertaining spectacle (which I appreciate), I am surprised that as such an obvious fan of athleticism, that you cannot appreciate the skills and strength required to play AFL.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, The Rocket said:

It`s a funny little game where the crowd roars everytime there is contact, and the commentators gush using expressions like `ferocious`, `brutal` and `the hard game just got harder` so it`s got nothing to do with meat head meathead, it`s just I`m not in to something that pretends to be what it isn`t.

And that bullshite about League having a domestic violence problem is just that, if your stupid enough or biased enough to be prepared to label a whole code because of the action of maybe a dozen blokes out of literally 10`s and 10`s of thousands of Rugby League players then more fool you. You`re not thinking it through. And like the shrill headline seeking fools in the media I hope that you are proud of yourself labelling the tens of thousands of ordinary blokes, many just ordinary country blokes, I`ve met many, who go home to their family every day and don`t beat up anyone.

The only way a sporting code can show a true sign of respect towards women in these situations, to really lead in this space, is to stand down a player facing a serious charge.

The NRL are the only football code in this country that get this issue and show victims (who are mostly women) this level of respect.

Then again, the code is being run by two very progressive administrators — chair Peter V’Landys and CEO Andrew Abdo — backed by a commission with a serious understanding of issues involving violence and women. They are not all talk, they take action.

The NRL’S no-fault stand down policy stops players charged with serious crimes involving women or children taking the field. That’s respect.

From Chief Sports writer for The Australian Jessica Halloran. Written last week.

Lets also not forget than they brought in the 3 strike drug rule to cover up it's very obvious drug problem. Example, Ben Cousins had been a big druggies for years and yet never once tested positive for drugs when playing. We must also never lose sight of the fact that it's a fusion of 19th century Rugby and Gaelic football and played on a Cricket oval is Australian in origin as pasta.

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I appreciate the toughness of League, but anyone that denounced the toughness required to play elite AFL are either ignorant or unwilling. The toughness required in AFL is extremely different to the toughness required in League, but in little way less tough.

Takes some balls to squeeze into those shorts. - AFL tough nuts.

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

However as a prime fan of both League and AFL, I am speaking with a level of non-bias that this forum rarely witnesses.

Having through RL become a confirmed Australophile, I have tried repeatedly to get into AFL. Can see how phenomenally popular it is in certain parts. Fed up with Soccer. So, keep thinking it could be an alternative interest.

Tried again yesterday by watching the last 4 minutes of Swans/Bombers. I still can`t see the appeal. Just 4 minutes of congested fumbling. 28 000 at the SCG apparently - lot more than across town at Rabbitohs/Broncos. Don`t understand it.

Last week I took in the highlights of the GWS game in Canberra. There was a female lead commentator. I thought she was pretty good. I think the AFL had a female umpire before the NRL appointed Belinda Sleeman.

I am speaking with a level of non-bias that this forum rarely witnesses.

Nothing like a bit of self-recommendation.

SP I can remember, I`m certain it was you, before the start of the super rugby au season, who was warning of the danger of super rugby and that League better watch out. Now it`s the afl.

Whilst you may not consider the sport an entertaining spectacle (which I appreciate), I am surprised that as such an obvious fan of athleticism, that you cannot appreciate the skills and strength required to play AFL.

Yes there is certainly running, but it is the un-holy mess that occurs when they are not running that turns me off. My take on afl and I think even a lot of old afl fans share this view is that afl is a game that requires lots of goals, without goals it all too often degenerates into a mess moving up and down the field, punctuated by the occasional wild kick not aimed at any one in particular, bit like a League team putting up a bomb every third or fourth play and hoping for the best.

Like in a lot of sports professionalism has dramatically increased the stakes and the cost of losing, afl is not immune, and like in other codes coaches have found it more productive to stop other teams from scoring rather than scoring more points themselves. Points scored in afl has been decreasing for nearly 20 years, the game these days is more about `spoiling`, more often than not rather than trying to catch the ball in the contest players are more interested in making sure the other bloke doesn`t, and once it is on the deck, the fun ensues with the comical, Pedant described it as " Keystone Cops antics" begin, not a lot of athleticism there. With so many players on the field (sometimes when they do wide angle shots on tv it looks like there has been a pitch invasion) and no off-side or fixed positions I can`t see how the afl are going to stop the further degeneration of their game into a rolling ruck/mall like spectacle with any excess players continually crowding around the ball, air kicking, ball punching, legs and arms flailing, piling on one another chasing that cake of soap.

It`s interesting I note that almost unanimously when you hear old League players interviewed, they say League is a better game now than it was, I find old afl players say the opposite. 

Anyway mate each to their own, one thing before I go I read in the papers that there is a raging debate over whether to expand into Tasmania, onwards and upwards.

I saw a photo this morning of Lleyton Hewitt with his son Cruz, who had just won the national clay court championship.  Now as I understand it, Hewitt comes from a fumbleball background - played the game as a child and his dad was a pro player.  What I found interesting is that in the photo, Cruz was wearing a NSW origin shirt.

1020.jpg

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

On 12/04/2021 at 19:19, latchford albion said:

I saw a photo this morning of Lleyton Hewitt with his son Cruz, who had just won the national clay court championship.  Now as I understand it, Hewitt comes from a fumbleball background - played the game as a child and his dad was a pro player.  What I found interesting is that in the photo, Cruz was wearing a NSW origin shirt.

1020.jpg

Having travelled the world playing tennis he would be fully aware that the biggest honour is sport is playing for you country followed by your state or county. Not a Melbourne suburb

The AFL seems able to generate articles that laud their game while being totally uncritical of it, and that is true even in Sydney, such as this article in today's Sydney Morning Herald.

It's interesting to see that Sydney's elite society seems more ready to embrace their game than the NRL, even though the article is ostensibly about the switch from rugby union to AFL.

5 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

The AFL seems able to generate articles that laud their game while being totally uncritical of it, and that is true even in Sydney, such as this article in today's Sydney Morning Herald.

It's interesting to see that Sydney's elite society seems more ready to embrace their game than the NRL, even though the article is ostensibly about the switch from rugby union to AFL.

The above piece must be syndicated, I read it on the Brisbane Times website.

To any League fan it should be a source of wry amusement if Sydney`s elite schools, by including AFL in their sports programmes, have inflicted long-term harm on their beloved RU. Perhaps their antipathy to League persuaded them to embrace it`s strongest Australia-wide rival.

Although the effect on League ought to be neutral, it is worth looking at the wider AFL culture. From the limited amount I follow, I detect far less negativity toward their game and their clubs than in NRL. AFL media promote their games as events to enjoy attending in the way you would the cinema or theatre. Whether your team wins is an aspect, not the be all and end all. There were 33 000 at the SCG for Swans/Giants on Saturday. The Swans have made a good start, but almost all those fans would have been there regardless of where the two teams sat on the ladder.

By contrast NRL media don`t promote the game of Rugby League, they only promote winning. If a team loses consecutive games - "the wheels have come off", if a team loses a month of games - "their season`s over", etc. The coverage relentlessly hammers home the message that if your team lost last week, don`t bother going this week. There`s nothing about the game or the event that could possibly attract you if your team isn`t winning.

When a good crowd shows up to an NRL game, there`s a tone of desperate gratitude in the tweet the home club posts thanking everyone for their support. As though RL "fans" only go to RL games as a begrudging act of loyalty. Enjoyment is the furthest thing from everyone`s mind.

14 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The above piece must be syndicated, I read it on the Brisbane Times website.

To any League fan it should be a source of wry amusement if Sydney`s elite schools, by including AFL in their sports programmes, have inflicted long-term harm on their beloved RU. Perhaps their antipathy to League persuaded them to embrace it`s strongest Australia-wide rival.

Although the effect on League ought to be neutral, it is worth looking at the wider AFL culture. From the limited amount I follow, I detect far less negativity toward their game and their clubs than in NRL. AFL media promote their games as events to enjoy attending in the way you would the cinema or theatre. Whether your team wins is an aspect, not the be all and end all. There were 33 000 at the SCG for Swans/Giants on Saturday. The Swans have made a good start, but almost all those fans would have been there regardless of where the two teams sat on the ladder.

By contrast NRL media don`t promote the game of Rugby League, they only promote winning. If a team loses consecutive games - "the wheels have come off", if a team loses a month of games - "their season`s over", etc. The coverage relentlessly hammers home the message that if your team lost last week, don`t bother going this week. There`s nothing about the game or the event that could possibly attract you if your team isn`t winning.

When a good crowd shows up to an NRL game, there`s a tone of desperate gratitude in the tweet the home club posts thanking everyone for their support. As though RL "fans" only go to RL games as a begrudging act of loyalty. Enjoyment is the furthest thing from everyone`s mind.

There's a great deal of truth in what you say.

To try to promote a winning culture as a distinct selling point is crazy, given that a club can't be sure of providing what it is trying to promise.

The AFL promotes AFL football, whereas in the NRL the clubs promote the clubs. 

It's obvious which philosophy works best.

I can guarantee, for example, that the next home crowd for the Raiders will be well down on the 20,000 plus that turned up on Saturday, simply because they lost the game.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/04/2021 at 00:31, The Rocket said:

Yes there is certainly running, but it is the un-holy mess that occurs when they are not running that turns me off. My take on afl and I think even a lot of old afl fans share this view is that afl is a game that requires lots of goals, without goals it all too often degenerates into a mess moving up and down the field, punctuated by the occasional wild kick not aimed at any one in particular, bit like a League team putting up a bomb every third or fourth play and hoping for the best.

There`s an insightful article on "The Roar" website by Mary Konstantopoulos of "Ladies Who League" fame headed, "Why are we so obsessed with crowds in Rugby League".

She draws the distinction we`ve previously addressed between the appeal of AFL as a spectator sport and the appeal of NRL as a TV sport. Includes a description of how she paid $60 for a seat at the Anzac Roosters/Dragons game and couldn`t see what was happening half the time.

Seemed especially pertinent in the light of Saturday`s Sydney crowds which saw 29k at the SCG for the Swans, 20k for the A-League at Bankwest, and 13k at Stadium Straya for Bulldogs/Eels.

On 09/04/2021 at 00:31, The Rocket said:

punctuated by the occasional wild kick not aimed at any one in particular, bit like a League team putting up a bomb every third or fourth play and hoping for the best.

A little idle food for thought prompted by your floating of the idea on another thread that the reason for the RFL`s rollball disgrace is a desire to emulate Union. 

Is it possible that changing the back-to-one after a charge down rule is never on the NRL`s agenda because unchallenged high and cross-field kicks lead to more of the aerial contests that are a staple of AFL?

BTW, there were two CC games on the BBC yesterday. I watched a couple of minutes of incompetent cheats being allowed to chuck the ball between their legs - then switched off. I keep getting e-mails from the RFL requesting payment to watch their games. Will be ignoring them all unless we resume playing Rugby League. I have no interest in a Touch rollball/ Rugby Union hybrid.

On 08/04/2021 at 19:50, The Rocket said:

And that bullshite about League having a domestic violence problem is just that, if your stupid enough or biased enough to be prepared to label a whole code because of the action of maybe a dozen blokes out of literally 10`s and 10`s of thousands of Rugby League players then more fool you. You`re not thinking it through. And like the shrill headline seeking fools in the media I hope that you are proud of yourself labelling the tens of thousands of ordinary blokes, many just ordinary country blokes, I`ve met many, who go home to their family every day and don`t beat up anyone.

It was 2021’s first episode of “Have You Been Paying Attention” which had comedian Melanie Bracewell ridicule RL on two different occasions. One such comment that drew laughter was her insulting comment that was something like “When RL players stop beating women” as if there was a broad culture of this behaviour.

On 05/05/2021 at 20:52, unapologetic pedant said:

There`s an insightful article on "The Roar" website by Mary Konstantopoulos of "Ladies Who League" fame headed, "Why are we so obsessed with crowds in Rugby League".

She draws the distinction we`ve previously addressed between the appeal of AFL as a spectator sport and the appeal of NRL as a TV sport. Includes a description of how she paid $60 for a seat at the Anzac Roosters/Dragons game and couldn`t see what was happening half the time.

Seemed especially pertinent in the light of Saturday`s Sydney crowds which saw 29k at the SCG for the Swans, 20k for the A-League at Bankwest, and 13k at Stadium Straya for Bulldogs/Eels.

Everything there is to say about RL crowds is said in the comments responding to that article. 

As far as saying she couldn`t see the action in the far corner, well what planet is she on, everyone knows the SCG slopes a lot from the centre compounded by the fact it is a cricket ground with a League pitch stuck in the middle. And you can`t tell me that fumble ball fans have any idea what is going on in the far corner of the grounds either, christ not even the commentators can and they are watching with binoculars.

If I`m correct they would have to be averaging close to 20 000 at Bankwest this year which suggests to me that if the NRL can get their stadiums sorted the crowds will come.

My son told me they were giving away Swans tickets at his university(UNSW) before the game you refer to, if they are doing it at his university they will be doing at plenty of other places. they still get big crowds though, because they are nuts. Great article in the OZ today, afl crowds down by 800 000 so far this year on 2019, maybe they are finally waking up to what drivel they are watching. I noticed they wheeled out Eddie Maguire to call the GWS game into Sydney on saturday night, mein got, you should have heard him hyping it up, lot of RL jargon being used , poleaxed, don`t argues, no-look, obviously trying to appeal to League fans, good luck.

You mention else where that perhaps Oz League supporters are a little fickle, only attending when their team is going well, well I can tell you I won`t be going to any Saint George games soon after this weekends display, if my team can`t make simple catch and passes and the opposition can I won`t be rewarding them with my presence, get their act together and I will.

And what`s with the bull- about me and sports prophet and trysts and weddings, leave me out of your jokes or you can ____-off.

24 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Everything there is to say about RL crowds is said in the comments responding to that article. 

As far as saying she couldn`t see the action in the far corner, well what planet is she on, everyone knows the SCG slopes a lot from the centre compounded by the fact it is a cricket ground with a League pitch stuck in the middle. And you can`t tell me that fumble ball fans have any idea what is going on in the far corner of the grounds either, christ not even the commentators can and they are watching with binoculars.

If I`m correct they would have to be averaging close to 20 000 at Bankwest this year which suggests to me that if the NRL can get their stadiums sorted the crowds will come.

My son told me they were giving away Swans tickets at his university(UNSW) before the game you refer to, if they are doing it at his university they will be doing at plenty of other places. they still get big crowds though, because they are nuts. Great article in the OZ today, afl crowds down by 800 000 so far this year on 2019, maybe they are finally waking up to what drivel they are watching. I noticed they wheeled out Eddie Maguire to call the GWS game into Sydney on saturday night, mein got, you should have heard him hyping it up, lot of RL jargon being used , poleaxed, don`t argues, no-look, obviously trying to appeal to League fans, good luck.

You mention else where that perhaps Oz League supporters are a little fickle, only attending when their team is going well, well I can tell you I won`t be going to any Saint George games soon after this weekends display, if my team can`t make simple catch and passes and the opposition can I won`t be rewarding them with my presence, get their act together and I will.

And what`s with the bull- about me and sports prophet and trysts and weddings, leave me out of your jokes or you can ____-off.

I have family who live in Blacktown and they tell me that GWS give out so many free tickets for the Midgets(Nickname for GWS in Western Sydney) home games that anybody who buys one is a fool and they still can't fill the stadium by no more than a 1/3rd. That tells you all you need to know about fumbleball in Sydney.

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I have family who live in Blacktown and they tell me that GWS give out so many free tickets for the Midgets(Nickname for GWS in Western Sydney) home games that anybody who buys one is a fool and they still can't fill the stadium by no more than a 1/3rd. That tells you all you need to know about fumbleball in Sydney.

I like it, GWS Midgets, if you don`t mind I think I`ll use that one.

And how about the way they promote Toby `jug` Greene, the `hardman`, `firebrand` what a hoot, he`s a hair pulling, niggling , pushing in the back, little cat.

12 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I like it, GWS Midgets, if you don`t mind I think I`ll use that one.

And how about the way they promote Toby `jug` Greene, the `hardman`, `firebrand` what a hoot, he`s a hair pulling, niggling , pushing in the back, little cat.

Yes of course and spread the word GWS Midgets, because that's what they are. Given over $20 million a year by Vicky Kicky house (You can use that name as well) and not even treading water now. They and the Gold Coast Thuns are emptying the fumbleball coffers. Happy days for Rugby League in Australia.

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Parra are 9 from 10. If next year they lose more games than they win, most of those 20 000 will be at home fulminating "if my team...I won`t be rewarding them with my presence". However good the stadium is.

AFL fans seem to enjoy going to AFL games more than NRL fans enjoy going to NRL games.

18 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I would still maintain that at any stadium the gap in appreciation for an NRL fan between TV and at-the-ground is a lot wider than the equivalent for an AFL fan.

It`s a platitude that something is a "victim of its own success", but it best describes the price in lower attendances NRL pays for being almost the perfect sport for TV.

The latest Pay TV ratings (which are roughly in line with the rest of the year so far), indicate again that the price Fox are paying in return, relative to the AFL deal, is well below market value.

"There has also been a marked change in the way television viewers are watching AFL and NRL games in 2021.

AFL audiences on Foxtel and Kayo have increased by 15 per cent when compared to 2019 figures, with an average of 245,000 viewers per match.

NRL games on Foxtel and Kayo are averaging 372,000, which is an increase of 12 per cent.

But free-to-air audiences on both Seven for the AFL and Nine for NRL have decreased about 5 per cent in the metro markets from two years ago.

Foxtel Group chief executive Patrick Delany said audiences for women’s sport were growing, citing the AFLW as an example.

“In NRL, we have had an outstanding start to the 2021 season for Fox League with average audiences for rounds 1 to 8, up 13 per cent year on last year making 2021 the number one rating NRL season ever for the Foxtel Group,” he said.

“The 2021 AFL season is also performing strongly. Average audiences for the first seven rounds reached are up 17 per cent on 2019."

So according to my calculations 372k - 245k equals 127k viewers per match more for the NRL over the afl. 8 NRL matches per round total 2 976 000 versus 9 afl matches total 2 205 000, that means that League is pulling 771 000 viewers more per round on combined Foxtel and Kayo.

So I figure with the afl generally pulling about 150-200 000 more for the three FTA games that go head to head each week and about 500 000 for their 4th FTA match that leaves the NRL with a viewer deficit of about 200-300 000 per round. Add the viewers out of NZ and the gap is narrowed further. I wouldn`t think that is too bad, especially given the way the afl splinter their games broadcast on FTA into different markets.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

“The 2021 AFL season is also performing strongly. Average audiences for the first seven rounds reached are up 17 per cent on 2019."

I don`t have figures to hand, but I`ve been following them for a few years, and I`m certain this isn`t true. Or at least it`s highly misleading. That 17% will be Fox Box plus streaming combined, with the large increase in streaming (which is happening across the board) masking a significant drop in AFL Fox Box ratings. Note he doesn`t give the percentage change compared with 2020. And not because of the effects of Covid, or he`d do the same for NRL figures.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

So according to my calculations 372k - 245k equals 127k viewers per match more for the NRL over the afl. 8 NRL matches per round total 2 976 000 versus 9 afl matches total 2 205 000, that means that League is pulling 771 000 viewers more per round on combined Foxtel and Kayo.

So I figure with the afl generally pulling about 150-200 000 more for the three FTA games that go head to head each week and about 500 000 for their 4th FTA match that leaves the NRL with a viewer deficit of about 200-300 000 per round. Add the viewers out of NZ and the gap is narrowed further. I wouldn`t think that is too bad, especially given the way the afl splinter their games broadcast on FTA into different markets.

It should matter that the proportion of paying viewers is a lot higher for NRL than AFL. i.e. given that on FTA a lot of people will watch whatever happens to be on the telly. When 300k is listed as the Melbourne rating for Seven`s AFL coverage, how many of those would still tune in if they had to pay? 

This is related to the substantive point I made to Sports Prophet on his CEO thread (now gratuitously deleted by the moderator). Namely, that these bigwigs believe what they want to believe, focus on the stories and statistics that suit their agenda, even when this is more group-think than individual prejudice.

The perception of popularity has multiplier effects in terms of levering in extra sponsorship money. The NRL should make more effort to collate and publicize the figures that accurately illustrate RL`s popularity.

This is another reason why I`m a strong advocate for League Tag and the integration of contact/non-contact. Junior clubs with high and growing participation rates project the kind of thriving image that sponsors like to associate with.

On 16/05/2021 at 14:38, The Future is League said:

Yes of course and spread the word GWS Midgets, because that's what they are. Given over $20 million a year by Vicky Kicky house (You can use that name as well) and not even treading water now. They and the Gold Coast Thuns are emptying the fumbleball coffers. Happy days for Rugby League in Australia.

I saw an article earlier this year that GWS and even the Swans were asking for increased central subsidy due to the high cost of living in Sydney. And that without further special treatment, big bad Pete V. might be coming to get them.

On 08/04/2021 at 18:46, The Future is League said:

Lets also not forget than they brought in the 3 strike drug rule to cover up it's very obvious drug problem. Example, Ben Cousins had been a big druggies for years and yet never once tested positive for drugs when playing. We must also never lose sight of the fact that it's a fusion of 19th century Rugby and Gaelic football and played on a Cricket oval is Australian in origin as pasta.

Aussie Rules is the most Australian of sports, indeed the only Australian sport (of any significance). If there is a postcard with a collage of images of all things Aussie, and one sport makes it in, its Aussie Rules.

On 08/04/2021 at 16:03, Sports Prophet said:

@The Rocketi can appreciate that AFL is not your game. However as a prime fan of both League and AFL, I am speaking with a level of non-bias that this forum rarely witnesses.

Aussie Rules ain’t my cup of tea, but bashing it is juvenile. Different strokes and all that. The one thing it does better than any other sport (imo) is how the umpire (or referee, or official) signifies a score. Epic.

On 09/04/2021 at 00:27, unapologetic pedant said:

Having through RL become a confirmed Australophile, I have tried repeatedly to get into AFL. Can see how phenomenally popular it is in certain parts. Fed up with Soccer. So, keep thinking it could be an alternative interest.

Tried again yesterday by watching the last 4 minutes of Swans/Bombers. I still can`t see the appeal. Just 4 minutes of congested fumbling. 28 000 at the SCG apparently - lot more than across town at Rabbitohs/Broncos. Don`t understand it.

Last week I took in the highlights of the GWS game in Canberra. There was a female lead commentator. I thought she was pretty good. I think the AFL had a female umpire before the NRL appointed Belinda Sleeman.

Most folk from here (UK and Ireland) became Aussiephiles via TV shows, namely Home and Away and Neighbours (recall a girl in primary school who had travelled to Ramsay Street which amazed everyone...this during the Scott and Charlene era).

The one sport from there that stood out a mile was Aussie Rules. I get that on this forum RL in Aus will be the biggest deal, but outside of this enclave it’s entirely different. If I’m visiting Oz, and want to sample sport in Oz, I’m going to see an Aussie Rules game. 

Archived