Powell OUT??

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Will Warrington get their man?

Don't think he's suited to a "Posh" club.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Surely sets up a deal for James Ford to Cas?

Depends if he wants to downgrade or not.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

1 minute ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Don't think he's suited to a "Posh" club.

Warrington isn't that posh 😂

I think, and totally understand him in this, that he's had a decade of coaching on the basis of "making do with what we've got", turning down more lucrative offers from elsewhere out of loyalty and fancies going to a club with the resources behind him. I wouldn't blame him in that at all, he's certainty earned it

Powell has undoubtedly done great things on limited budgets at Cas, and seems to be a very good coach... yet if the Wire rumours are true, I find it surprising. The thing that Warrington need is to get over the line - there have been 4 GFs now, but no trophy, so what Wire really need is a proven winner of a coach. Brian Mac and Shaun Wane seemingly both available for a club job next season, and both very much proven winners, the guys that deliver the big trophies. I'm surprised if Wire have gone for Powell and not one of those two.

Itll be interestibg to see what he can do if he does end up at Wire. 

I'm not a fan of his victim mentality attitude, but I applaud his attacking philosophy. A grumpier/chippier Tony Smith is maybe a good description. 

Just now, Dave T said:

I'm not a fan of his victim mentality attitude, but I applaud his attacking philosophy. A grumpier/chippier Tony Smith is maybe a good description. 

Reminds me a lot of TS

Just now, mrfranco said:

Powell has undoubtedly done great things on limited budgets at Cas, and seems to be a very good coach... yet if the Wire rumours are true, I find it surprising. The thing that Warrington need is to get over the line - there have been 4 GFs now, but no trophy, so what Wire really need is a proven winner of a coach. Brian Mac and Shaun Wane seemingly both available for a club job next season, and both very much proven winners, the guys that deliver the big trophies. I'm surprised if Wire have gone for Powell and not one of those two.

Warrington don't really need a radical change in manager to win a GF IMHO. They have lost four Grand Finals in very close games. Price has shown tactically he isn't right for Wire, a more attacking style from Powell improves the chances of winning. 

The number of finals and Cup wins shows that Wire are there or there abouts and lose the odd close game of RL. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think that came with being Cas coach tbf. Bar Wakey, everyone has better and more of everything and that can get to a bloke I guess, especially when in a results business.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

The number of finals and Cup wins shows that Wire are there or there abouts and lose the odd close game of RL. 

Yes, that last parag is exactly why I would expect Wire to sign up Wane or Brian Mac - the two guys who have a proven knack of getting that extra bit out of their teams at the right time to win the big games.  

19 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I like Powell. I know he gets a load of stick for being a bit of a moaner but I think he’s done a great job at Cas. There was a time I wanted him at Saints too. 

Surely sets up a deal for James Ford to Cas?

Genuine question

Throughout his long coaching career, what has he won?

1 minute ago, OMEGA said:

Genuine question

Throughout his long coaching career, what has he won?

Powell - The Championship and the Minor Premiership in Super League. 

Ford - promotion from League One and did a very good job in the Championship with York in the last full season (2019). 

The Championship and the Minor Premiership in Super League. 

Hes regarded as a huge failure by Featherstone fans!

During his tenure he had the money and players which should have seen him win promotion to SL or at least take the minor cup comp but he did neither. He has a terrible record in ‘Must Win’ games even when the odds are in his favour.

2 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Hes regarded as a huge failure by Featherstone fans!

During his tenure he had the money and players which should have seen him win promotion to SL or at least take the minor cup comp but he did neither. He has a terrible record in ‘Must Win’ games even when the odds are in his favour.

You do realise that for most of his Featherstone tenure, promotion was decided by licensing and Powell did his part (winning onfield to be allowed to apply for promotion), don’t you? 

You do realise that for most of his Featherstone tenure, promotion was decided by licensing and Powell did his part (winning onfield to be allowed to apply for promotion), don’t you? 

You're in the dark realm of inter-WF rivalries now...

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

In a long coaching career he’s won nothing of significance and has a terrible record in big games when it matters!

Archived