Powell OUT??

Correct me if I am wrong but Powell has always had Sheridan as his lieutenant.  Their partnership is very much like football had with clough and Taylor. I dont think Powell would be that effective without Sheridan by his side. So the big question for me is will this partnership end. 

If Powell takes Sheridan, then what future for briers ? 

If he dosnt, will Sheridan be miffed at being ditched ?

I think this appointment is going to ruffle a few feathers and being announced so early is not the smartest thing by both clubs. I think it will effect both their seasons.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

He lost a Challenge Cup Final to Bradford, who won the clean sweep that year and to Leeds, who were in their golden period and lost to Leeds in a Grand Final as the curtain came down on that golden generation. 

I think it’s harsh to say he’s a poor record in finals when he’s really overachieved to get to Finals and went in to all three he’s coached in as the underdogs (certainly while at Cas, maybe to a lesser extent while at Leeds). 

They should have battered Leeds in 2017....if he'd have managed Hardaker better (as was part of his job) maybe they would of

16 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Correct me if I am wrong but Powell has always had Sheridan as his lieutenant.  Their partnership is very much like football had with clough and Taylor. I dont think Powell would be that effective without Sheridan by his side. So the big question for me is will this partnership end. 

I think this appointment is going to ruffle a few feathers and being announced so early is not the smartest thing by both clubs. I think it will effect both their seasons.

when powell left FEV sheridan stayed for 8 games before moving down the road to rejoin him

I do know Warrington enquired about him after Tony Smith left and before Steve Price was given the job but he was under contract at cas then and nothing came of it.  Would he win trophies at a club with a bit more money to spend? Maybe but he'll make no friends if he's going to moan about every loss and cheap shot refs like he's done at cas. If he can get us playing the sort of rugby that cas were playing in 2017 when they won the LLS, then we could be on a winner with him.  If he can't then we may end up being known as a "moaning " club where every defeat is down to something the opposition did or didn't do,  or down to the referee! I don't think I'd like that. 

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

A microcosm of the sport of rugby league.

The theatre of the absurd gets bizarrererer and bizarrerer.

What if Warrington get of to a poor start and it really has been arranged for Powell to be their head coach? What about reserve team coaches and Academy coaches if the new head coaches want their own staff? 

No other 'elite' league,in any sport,that I am aware of,has started a new campaign with 2 head coaches, in the same small league,announcing they are leaving.

I think you're overstating the situation more than a little. This is not a thing that reflects on Rugby League in any particular way, bizarre, small-time or otherwise.

It's just stuff - and very possibly not unrelated stuff at that.

55 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They should have battered Leeds in 2017....if he'd have managed Hardaker better (as was part of his job) maybe they would of

Blaming anyone other than Hardaker is incredible. The man’s ability to find the self destruct button over the years knows no bounds. 

4 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Hes regarded as a huge failure by Featherstone fans!

During his tenure he had the money and players which should have seen him win promotion to SL or at least take the minor cup comp but he did neither. He has a terrible record in ‘Must Win’ games even when the odds are in his favour.

No he’s not. He did a great job at Featherstone and were promotion and relegation in place at the time Featherstone would have been promoted. Great bloke.

“He oversaw one of the most successful periods in Featherstone Rovers' history, leading them to three consecutive ChampionshipLeague Leaders' Shields and Grand Finals between 2010 and 2012. Despite winning the Championship Grand Final in 2011, Featherstone were not promoted to super league due to the controversial licensing system in place at the time.”

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Prevention always possible... Good coaches see it early and intervene / influence 

I think you’re doing a disservice to Powell, overestimating the stupidity over the years of Hardaker and assuming you’re saying the same of Brian McDermott, who helped Leeds’ golden generation win all sorts. 

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I think you’re doing a disservice to Powell, overestimating the stupidity over the years of Hardaker and assuming you’re saying the same of Brian McDermott, who helped Leeds’ golden generation win all sorts. 

If someone can tell me he did absolutely everything he could as a coach/voice/mentor then fair enough. However Powell was (should) have been a very powerful influencer of Hardaker. After all he was their best most and most influential player. He also had a reputation. 

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

In fairness the best bit of business Leeds did in that period was swapping Hardaker for Segeyaro on loan and then selling him to Cas for a significant fee

4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Trueman is also heavily linked to Wire, which will be a big loss to Cas but makes sense because Wire will offload Widdop and/or Austin at some point in the next year or two. 

The statement says that several personalities are out of contract... so sounds plausible.

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

Less smart to let it go on with out a clear outcome as the season rolls on.

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

certainly Hardaker situation didn't help but the awful weather and whomever made the decisions on the filed not taking the points from penalties early on contributed. My point being I think Hardaker was less of a factor than the other 2..

6 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Don't think he's suited to a "Posh" club.

Certainly not posh fans, and the owners may be relatively well off but if you meet or see them they would not come across as posh. 

Cas played some great stuff in 2017 and they were the  est team in SL ,but I dont think it was because Hardaker was missing.  I think it was the same factor that Saints lost in 2008 after winning how many games in succession ? They had to lose sooner or later and that would have preyed on their conscience, plus the Leeds thing of pulling it out in the big one . Saints being the club they are were always going to come back . That was Cas at their peak it must have been soul destroying after that 2017 season and not winning the big one. It will be interesting watching Cas and Powell this season and whatever Powell does next. I wonder if its wise for both parties Powell staying on for one last gig ? If he knows where he's going he will already be planning 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

9 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Hes regarded as a huge failure by Featherstone fans!

During his tenure he had the money and players which should have seen him win promotion to SL or at least take the minor cup comp but he did neither. He has a terrible record in ‘Must Win’ games even when the odds are in his favour.

I don't have him down as a great tactical motivator, he can do tactical, he can do motivation

To win trophies, the big ones, you need to get the balance of both eight. 

Always been out thought in the really big games. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I don’t think James Ford would be the right man for Castleford.

He’s now full time at York (not 100% sure if he still teaches). He’s been through the stadium saga for York (2014 when they moved out of their ground, to just last week when they played for the first time at their new ground). Would he really want to go to Cas who’ve been trying for a new stadium since the 70s and are years if not decades away from ever getting one, and go through it all again, especially if licensing does ever return putting the Tigers place in SL at risk?

York’s training facilities are vastly superior to Castleford’s too. 

So no, I can’t see him leaving one of the safest jobs in rugby league, in a secure environment, to move to a club which off the field is treading water. If and when he leaves York I could see him joining a team like Salford.

Warrington I feel will go for Wane or possibly McDermott. Cas should move heaven and earth to get whichever of those 2 Wire don’t choose, that’s if they want to push on as a club. I have a funny feeling they’ll give the job to someone like Kear and go back to being content to just make up the numbers.

Posted this before on this forum and do so again, Daryl Powell is without a doubt the best British coach in the competition and has astutely realised that all coaching tenures have a shelf life after which the message becomes stale. It would be an unbelievably good move by Warrington to name him as head coach, though you would have to think both ex-London Bronco coach Andrew Henderson and club legend Lee Briers would be in with a shout for that post.

On thev subject of London Broncos' coaches, when it comes to Daryl Powell's replacement at Castelford my money would be on ex-Tiger Danny Ward

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Archived