Whitehaven, Challenge Cup Round 1

Crown Flatter

This game could be tough, travelling all the way to Cumbria, coping with the Covid-19 protocols and then having to play a match. 

With all that in mind, I feel confident that we can still win, perhaps with this team:

1 Martin

2 Gabriel

3 Ryder

4 Fleming

5 Oakes

6 Sykes

7 Finn

8 Hall

9 Butterworth 

10 Garratt

11 Tomlinson

12 Knowles

13 Morris

14 Day

15 Scott

16 Magrin

17 Schofield

Prediction:

Whitehaven 20-30 Dewsbury 

FTS: Ryder

MoM: Sykes

Also in the squad: Liu, Claveting, Thornton and Abram  

On seeing the two friendlies I don’t think it will be long before we see either/both Carr and/or Dixon being selected. Liu could even be in the 17, but I don’t know whether he is injured or not. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

23 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

This game could be tough, travelling all the way to Cumbria, coping with the Covid-19 protocols and then having to play a match. 

With all that in mind, I feel confident that we can still win, perhaps with this team:

1 Martin

2 Gabriel

3 Ryder

4 Fleming

5 Oakes

6 Sykes

7 Finn

8 Hall

9 Butterworth 

10 Garratt

11 Tomlinson

12 Knowles

13 Morris

14 Day

15 Scott

16 Magrin

17 Schofield

Prediction:

Whitehaven 20-30 Dewsbury 

FTS: Ryder

MoM: Sykes

Also in the squad: Liu, Claveting, Thornton and Abram  

On seeing the two friendlies I don’t think it will be long before we see either/both Carr and/or Dixon being selected. Liu could even be in the 17, but I don’t know whether he is injured or not. 

The squad that was announced is slightly different to yours CF, unless something has changed.

21 Man Squad to face Whitehaven – Dewsbury Rams

I would still go with your predicted lineup, however.

It will be tight and fitness will be the key - I hope for a win by 8.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

A very poor performance after a promising start.

I felt that Morris had a very good game with a ton of effort, Butterworth looked impressive, as did Day and Ryder improved as the game progressed but I would find it difficult to single anyone else out for praise. I wonder how long Sykes will miss - hamstring injuries can either clear quickly or take a month, or even longer. Who will we play at half back now?

At least it maintains an old club tradition of getting drawn in Cumbria for the first match in the CC and failing disappointingly. Let's hope that this gives Lee plenty to work on for the forthcoming league campaign.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Whitehaven played really well. They were patient and composed. Had we been, we might have scraped home.

I agree with you about the way Whitehaven played. You wouldn’t have thought that they were a man light and finished with only one sub available through injury. Well done to them. 
I don’t think we wanted to go to Widnes (or Llanelli for that matter) anyway!

Frazer Morris was probably our best man and Butterworth and Day put in good stints, with Sam still the better of the two for me. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Too many errors -bombed one certain try-still should have won.Not enough attacking ideas-does anybody know what a grubber kick is  in the team-if so never used.Sam had a good run which should have led to a try. Their seemed to be a number of fans or were they all officials?Are any fans allowed into grounds -i didn't think so.I can't fault the effort the lads put in-next week i am sure the result will be different.Well done to whitehaven.

Archived