Clubs printing programmes in 2021

Leeds - printed and online.

Although they're for some reason restricting the ones behind closed doors to 100 printed copies which can only be pre-ordered as part of a full-season package of programmes, delivered after the game with a teamsheet for £70.

I've taken advantage of this because I'm a sucker and a completionist but it a bit steep.

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2021/03/23/innovative-new-options-for-blue-amber/

4 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Fev nothing sadly.

We're not even sure if there is an 'official' team sheet, which is the bare minimum really.

Its really sad state of affairs, I am sure that with the advertising included in the programme it wouldn't be a lost leader, and from both a player and a fans view its a good memento of match. 

I still have my first programme I got with my dad when I was a young lad. I have also got the first programme from the match I took my son too.  

I was hoping to find this thread 🙂

Castleford are continuing as last year, to publish a digital monthly magazine, which covers their games played; it's available with Issuu.  Saints are doing a e-programme, as are West Wales.  It doesn't seem that Hull KR have continued to do an e-programme, unless I missed it last week (searching online didn't uncover it though)?

Swinton & Leigh I believe are continuing to print programmes (no doubt strongly influenced respectively by Steve Wild & Mike Latham!).  Good to see Leeds are continuing to do something, even if they are taking the p*ss a bit with the cost of these; just super-glad that Wire aren't playing them behind closed doors (fingers crossed, as it's not until August that we're due to visit!!), as this would be a major challenge to source a copy of!

Warrington, sadly, are doing nothing for games behind closed doors, though there is a suggestion they will return once fans are allowed back in.  However, I'm not convinced based on discussions I've had (due to changes in the personnel re. who has done this in the past).  I've repeated my offer to pull together an A4 folder over (4 page) programme, modelled on Wire's pre-WWII issues, printable at the club on matchdays, and sold for cost / charity, rather than see nothing all at prepared.

In terms of teamsheets, Super League have collectively responsibility for these for rounds 1 & 2, whilst games are played at a single location, but from round 3 the home club takes charge of this, as per pre-Covid.

Has anyone got an update on any other SL clubs?  Post-lockdown last year, Huddersfield, Salford, Wigan, Catalans, Hull & Wakey did nothing; pre-lockdown Wigan did a programme, Wakey & Hull did a monthly magazine (at least I don't think they kept them going after - though I'm doubting myself now, and thinking that one of them (Wakey perhaps) did keep these going?).  

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

This morning an apologetic email drops from the club. Even with only 100 copies available they didn't sell them all 😬

Morning

Firstly, thank you for subscribing to Blue & Amber and enabling the club to continue to print a matchday programme, extending a tradition that goes back over a century.

It has been my proud privilege to work on the programme for 25 seasons and the Covid 19 pandemic has presented us with the biggest challenge to continue producing each edition. We have fantastic partners in Ignition Publications, who write, design and publish sports publications and match-day programmes for more than 50 professional sports clubs, associations and governing bodies, encompassing football, rugby union and rugby league right across the United Kingdom and Ireland.

We are also delighted to have retained the services of Rugby League historian and Leeds RL aficionado Phil Caplan for his continued contribution to the programme.

The first edition of any season presents its own challenges and when that falls on an Easter Weekend that is especially true with factory shutdowns and public holidays. However, I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by your new edition not yet arriving with you, rest assured it is on its way complete with the new teamsheet addition for your records. There were only 83 editions of this first issue printed so it is a real collectors item. From next week’s second edition, we have brought forward the deadlines and it will mean the print production will take place before the weekend to be posted to you on Monday and arriving in the subsequent days.

Once again, thank you for your continued support and if you have anything you would like to discuss about the programme or ideas for future features please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Regards

Phil Daly

PS In case you did not receive the link as a Leeds Rhinos season member here is the digital version of the first edition for 2021, I will make sure that you get this each week in addition to your printed copy.

Phil Daly
Head of Media and PR

E: phil.daly@leedsrugby.com | T: 0113 2033281
Leeds Rhinos

• 2 weeks later...

The Leeds programmes have finally started coming through on a prompt-ish basis post-game, together with the official team sheet, printed on card.

Each one has effectively cost £5.83 each and to be fair they are made with rather higher paper quality than the lockdown ones last year with a card cover and 48 pages inside. The content is standard Leeds programme stuff.

The print quality looks to be ok but I'm torn if the lines going over the edges visible in the fourth picture is a design choice or just bad production as it has happened in both ones which have arrived so far.

2021-prog-1.jpg

2021-prog-2.jpg

2021-prog-3.jpg

2021-prog-4.jpg

6 hours ago, Cliff Spracklen said:

Bramley Buffaloes  in the Yorkshire Men's League  will once again be printing a "proper traditional " programme with colour front and containing all the usual expected content.

what about any unexpected content? That's what make a programme interesting IMO

On 26/03/2021 at 11:34, marklaspalmas said:

Fev nothing sadly.

We're not even sure if there is an 'official' team sheet, which is the bare minimum really.

Would love to see one of the old Fev fanzines start up again - I'd buy a copy every home game. Loved having something to thumb through before the match and during half time.

• 2 weeks later...
With regret, I'm afraid to say that a near 102 year tradition has ended at Warrington, and the club will not be producing programmes for at least the next 3 games. There's the possibility a digital version might be issued for games from 21 June.
To compensate in some small way for those that wish to have a memento of the game, I have decided to start publishing my own unofficial programme. It will be very low key, and unashamedly replicates the original Wire format, of an A4 sheet folded in half to make a small 4 page booklet.
Copies are available for free electronically, allowing these to be printed and folded at home; I will also make hard copies available for £1.50 including p&p. If anyone if interested, please PM me, or mail me at neil.ormston@gmail.com.
image.png.4b33dd8e6135fcf39a13e18605c3b7f8.png

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

• 2 weeks later...

No programme but a team sheet at London Broncos.

There is to be special limited edition Challenge Cup semi-final programme that can be pre-ordered see link

https://www.ignitionsportsmedia.com/collections/rugby-league/products/challenge-cup-triple-header

Reads like nothing availble for fans on the day but I could be wrong...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Now that clubs in the main seem not to be printing physical copies of programmes, I wonder if the value of the traditional printed programme will see an increase in value as they are now basically historical artefacts and the 'programme' as we used to know it is dead and unlikely to return in the future except for 'specials'.

National Conference League: Wigan St Judes, not bothering this season; Wigan St Patricks, £2.50, with admission, 20pp.

[I gather programmes are no longer mandatory in the NCL]

York City Knights didn’t issue a programme for their recent first game with spectators, against Oldham. Possibly because of a 1,000 attendance limit.

22 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Now that clubs in the main seem not to be printing physical copies of programmes, I wonder if the value of the traditional printed programme will see an increase in value as they are now basically historical artefacts and the 'programme' as we used to know it is dead and unlikely to return in the future except for 'specials'.

Nice thought but unlikely, I’d say. Many offloading collections now struggle to give them away.

Archived