Clubs printing programmes in 2021

• 2 weeks later...

On 26/03/2021 at 16:00, clifford said:

Its really sad state of affairs, I am sure that with the advertising included in the programme it wouldn't be a lost leader, and from both a player and a fans view its a good memento of match. 

I still have my first programme I got with my dad when I was a young lad. I have also got the first programme from the match I took my son too.  

My club used to sell a lot of matchday progammes, but in later years at least they lost money on them. Given the amount of work that has to go into producing and distributing them I can see why it's difficult to justify putting so much time and effort in to lose money on it. I say this sadly  as someone who loved buying a programme from being a lad and noting down the team changes, the points and the scorer on the back page. I mourn their passing.

The quality of the programmes in terms of materials and photo reproduction got better and better; the price though had to be kept relatively low to encourage sales.

I remember going to the first ever Sunday games where entry cost was paid in principle to buy a slip of paper with just the date, and team lists on it, very cheap and cheerful. Oh yes and then they let you in as a bonus to see the game.

On 08/07/2021 at 16:48, clifford said:

I am sure I saw a picture on twitter of a lesser spotted Rochdale Hornets programme 

Rochdale mention a programme, The Hornet, in their 2021 commercial brochure. Bought by one in three matchday attendees, apparently.

EDIT: Yes, it's £2.

• 2 weeks later...

Was really looking forward to buying a Challenge Cup final programme at Wembley - but it was impossible to get one once inside the stadium. Luckily someone gave me one at half time but I thought it was pretty poor form that the merchandise stalls were all shut.

Bring back progs!

• 4 weeks later...

My experience of Championship programmes in 2021 has been:

Toulouse: haven't played a home game so don't know.

Featherstone. Nothing, then free E-progs since the fans came back.

Bradford. Used to be a supplement in the T&A, now just random areticles in the newspaper. Not even a prog as such.

Batley. Nothing

Halifax. Nothing

London. Are doing a programme I think.

Sheffield. Programme.

Swinton. Programme.

Oldham. An e-prog for 2.50

Dewsbury. Nothing

Widnes. Nothing

York. Nothing.

Newcastle and Whitehaven, we didn't have a fixture there.

Slim pickings in 2021 at this level.

23 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

My experience of Championship programmes in 2021 has been:

Toulouse: haven't played a home game so don't know.

Featherstone. Nothing, then free E-progs since the fans came back.

Bradford. Used to be a supplement in the T&A, now just random areticles in the newspaper. Not even a prog as such.

Batley. Nothing

Halifax. Nothing

London. Are doing a programme I think.

Sheffield. Programme.

Swinton. Programme.

Oldham. An e-prog for 2.50

Dewsbury. Nothing

Widnes. Nothing

York. Nothing.

Newcastle and Whitehaven, we didn't have a fixture there.

Slim pickings in 2021 at this level.

I know a couple of guys who attended recent London games, and there wasn’t a programme on sale.

I gather Bradford issued a programme for their first game back at Odsal. Since then, nothing (I understand).

Whitehaven usually tweet about their programme but haven’t done so this season.

Newcastle haven’t bothered with a printed programme for several years. I was up there two seasons ago and asked their PR guy about programmes. He looked at me as if I’d arrived from another planet.

Whitehaven are producing a programme.

Image 1 - 2021 Whitehaven v Widnes rugby league programme

2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

I know a couple of guys who attended recent London games, and there wasn’t a programme on sale.

I gather Bradford issued a programme for their first game back at Odsal. Since then, nothing (I understand).

Whitehaven usually tweet about their programme but haven’t done so this season.

Newcastle haven’t bothered with a printed programme for several years. I was up there two seasons ago and asked their PR guy about programmes. He looked at me as if I’d arrived from another planet.

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/10/2021 at 10:08, Hopping Mad said:

According to @Cougarmania, Keighley are issuing their first - and only - 2021 programme (£2) for tomorrow's League One play-off eliminator with Doncaster. Available from the club shop.

They did. A 32-pager for £2.

Cougars managing director Lisa Gill told me Keighley weren't allowed (an RFL Covid diktat, presumably) to sell programmes at the start of the season. By the time they were, she said, they didn't deem it worthwhile.

I'd upload an image but, however small I make it, this website won't play ball.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived