Clubs printing programmes in 2021

22 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Now that clubs in the main seem not to be printing physical copies of programmes, I wonder if the value of the traditional printed programme will see an increase in value as they are now basically historical artefacts and the 'programme' as we used to know it is dead and unlikely to return in the future except for 'specials'.

Nice thought but unlikely, I’d say. Many offloading collections now struggle to give them away.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2021 at 16:00, clifford said:

Its really sad state of affairs, I am sure that with the advertising included in the programme it wouldn't be a lost leader, and from both a player and a fans view its a good memento of match. 

I still have my first programme I got with my dad when I was a young lad. I have also got the first programme from the match I took my son too.  

My club used to sell a lot of matchday progammes, but in later years at least they lost money on them. Given the amount of work that has to go into producing and distributing them I can see why it's difficult to justify putting so much time and effort in to lose money on it. I say this sadly  as someone who loved buying a programme from being a lad and noting down the team changes, the points and the scorer on the back page. I mourn their passing.

The quality of the programmes in terms of materials and photo reproduction got better and better; the price though had to be kept relatively low to encourage sales.

I remember going to the first ever Sunday games where entry cost was paid in principle to buy a slip of paper with just the date, and team lists on it, very cheap and cheerful. Oh yes and then they let you in as a bonus to see the game.

Edited by Graham

According to their Twitter feed, North Wales Crusaders will have a printed programme on sale this Sunday, for the visit of Keighley Cougars. It is North Wales's first game at Colwyn Bay with spectators (500 limit).

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

Through a contact in the printing industry I have managed to obtain  professionally printed on good quality glossy paper, copies of the following Barrow away programmes for the 2021 season,

OLDHAM Challenge Cup

COVENTRY league

WEST WALES league

LONDON SKOLARS league.

These are superb quality and all in mint condition. Numbers are strictly limited  I have no more than 5 of any of them) and are priced  £5 each inclusive of postage. First come, first served. Please PM me for further details, arrange payment etc.

Barrow produced a superb 44 page issue priced only £1 for the league games against North Wales, Rochdale and Workington but I believe they were sell outs. Contact the club for confirmation of this as it is possible one or two could remain.

In the NCL, Leigh Miners Rangers are issuing a 28-pager for a quid.

Underbank Rangers have done at least one programme - £3, with admission.

No programme this season at Barrow Island or Milford Marlins.

Edited by Hopping Mad

On 08/07/2021 at 16:48, clifford said:

I am sure I saw a picture on twitter of a lesser spotted Rochdale Hornets programme 

Rochdale mention a programme, The Hornet, in their 2021 commercial brochure. Bought by one in three matchday attendees, apparently.

EDIT: Yes, it's £2.

Edited by Hopping Mad

• 2 weeks later...

Was really looking forward to buying a Challenge Cup final programme at Wembley - but it was impossible to get one once inside the stadium. Luckily someone gave me one at half time but I thought it was pretty poor form that the merchandise stalls were all shut.

Bring back progs!

• 4 weeks later...

My experience of Championship programmes in 2021 has been:

Toulouse: haven't played a home game so don't know.

Featherstone. Nothing, then free E-progs since the fans came back.

Bradford. Used to be a supplement in the T&A, now just random areticles in the newspaper. Not even a prog as such.

Batley. Nothing

Halifax. Nothing

London. Are doing a programme I think.

Sheffield. Programme.

Swinton. Programme.

Oldham. An e-prog for 2.50

Dewsbury. Nothing

Widnes. Nothing

York. Nothing.

Newcastle and Whitehaven, we didn't have a fixture there.

Slim pickings in 2021 at this level.

23 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

My experience of Championship programmes in 2021 has been:

Toulouse: haven't played a home game so don't know.

Featherstone. Nothing, then free E-progs since the fans came back.

Bradford. Used to be a supplement in the T&A, now just random areticles in the newspaper. Not even a prog as such.

Batley. Nothing

Halifax. Nothing

London. Are doing a programme I think.

Sheffield. Programme.

Swinton. Programme.

Oldham. An e-prog for 2.50

Dewsbury. Nothing

Widnes. Nothing

York. Nothing.

Newcastle and Whitehaven, we didn't have a fixture there.

Slim pickings in 2021 at this level.

I know a couple of guys who attended recent London games, and there wasn’t a programme on sale.

I gather Bradford issued a programme for their first game back at Odsal. Since then, nothing (I understand).

Whitehaven usually tweet about their programme but haven’t done so this season.

Newcastle haven’t bothered with a printed programme for several years. I was up there two seasons ago and asked their PR guy about programmes. He looked at me as if I’d arrived from another planet.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Thanks 1

Whitehaven are producing a programme.

Image 1 - 2021 Whitehaven v Widnes rugby league programme

2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

I know a couple of guys who attended recent London games, and there wasn’t a programme on sale.

I gather Bradford issued a programme for their first game back at Odsal. Since then, nothing (I understand).

Whitehaven usually tweet about their programme but haven’t done so this season.

Newcastle haven’t bothered with a printed programme for several years. I was up there two seasons ago and asked their PR guy about programmes. He looked at me as if I’d arrived from another planet.

Edited by robins up north
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what I think League 1 clubs managed this season, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

BARROW - Full printed matchday programme (except for v Keighley played behind closed doors)Cost £1 Also did team sheet.

NORTH WALES - Full printed matchday programme.Cost £1. A good read.

ROCHDALE - Full matchday programme.£2 Also did team sheet. Very good effort.

WORKINGTON - Nothing at all.

KEIGHLEY - Team sheet.

DONCASTER Team sheet.

HUNSLET - Team Sheet.

WEST WALES - E-programme cost £2

COVENTRY - E-programme free. Also did team sheet.

LONDON SKOLARS - E-programme free. An excellent read too.

I never saw a team sheet at London or North Wales or West Wales but there could have been one. Feel free to amend as you see fit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the following Barrow away programmes for sale from the 2021 season. Strictly limited numbers first come, first served! Please PM me if you are interested.

COVENTRY Professionally printed on glossy paper e-programme (1 copy)

LONDON SKOLARS Professionally printed on glossy paper e-programme (2 copies) A very good read.

OLDHAM (RLCC) Another professionally printed e-programme (2 copies) Another good read.

WEST WALES Yet another professionally printed e-programme on glossy paper. (2 copies)

NORTH WALES Match programme bought on the day (1 copy)

ROCHDALE HORNETS Match programme bought on the day (1 copy)

All programmes are £5 each inclusive of postage. Any queries please ask. Once there gone, there gone!!!