Rugby League is a better game to play and watch says Gavin Henson

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

To be honest, I don’t think that Henson is in this for the money. I don’t think that he’s reliant on his ‘new employers’ to feather his nest. He seems quite genuine in his admiration of Rugby League.

Indeed, I'm sure he could get more money doing just about anything else, for far less effort too, compared to what he is getting now.

Rugby League is a better game to play and watch says Gavin Henson

" ....at the moment ..."

The small print is always the telling point, isn't it?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 hours ago, DC77 said:

"If rugby league is clever now it could steal a march on rugby union because at the moment I think it's the better game to watch and to play in. It's a big time for rugby league and I think they could capitalise."

I think he’s right in that it could capitalise, but not the current game. RL is not as far down the road as RU is in terms of being attritional but it’s not the wide open, attacking game it was. I think a big error has been adopting a more physical and risk averse Aussie style

There was hopes that the introduction of the new six-again rules would bring the little blokes into the game and I know it is early days but I`ve starting to get a feeling that while we might start to see a couple of faster smaller blokes in key positions the game is still going to be dominated by bigger players, they might be a bit more mobile and aerobically fit so they can stat out there longer but still mostly big blokes.

I saw an article(which I wanted to post but couldn`t find) on the Warriors and Knights forwards and bench players this weekend and they were a bunch of giants on both sides. It seems there is probably just too much value in big blokes that can make yardage for coaches to give them up.

I wonder if the only way we are going to get back to the type of game you`re talking about is to either put a cap on player size or the number of players above a certain size.

I was thinking about the analogy with boxing where the lighter weight divisions are generally much more lively affairs with a lot more punches thrown compared to the heavier divisions where they can be a bit more like slug-fests. Perhaps this is were League has come to, we need to get back to those `lighter divisions` to get back to that lively attacking play you talk about. They have `weigh-ins` in boxing perhaps we need to have something similar in League. 

9 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Of course he's not in this for the money, RU pays a lot better than RL these days so there wouldn't be enough money involved for that.

I’m very well aware of that. I was reacting to the post where it infers it’s because he is keeping his new ‘employers’ sweet that he has come out positively for League.

It's a bit funny to read here about Henson. I remember very well reading here that he was "the Anna Kurnikova of rugby union", and tons of posts belittling his achievements ( his contribution to a welsh grand slam reduced to "a couple of tackles and penalty kicks" ). It's never too late to change your mind but wasn't Henson the perfect example of the union star who "couldn't last five minutes playing league" ? 

9 minutes ago, bobrock said:

It's a bit funny to read here about Henson. I remember very well reading here that he was "the Anna Kurnikova of rugby union", and tons of posts belittling his achievements ( his contribution to a welsh grand slam reduced to "a couple of tackles and penalty kicks" ). It's never too late to change your mind but wasn't Henson the perfect example of the union star who "couldn't last five minutes playing league" ? 

Other memories are available. Yes, people took the mickey out of his spray-tanned look and his tabloid pantomime relationship with Charlotte Church, but plenty said he looked like one of the few British RU players at the time with any flair and attacking skills.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 minutes ago, bobrock said:

I have to say I don't recall those comments on here and I'm not sure why the two are mutually exclusive anyhow. Its perfectly possible to have had that view of Henson whilst still having respect for him for talking about RL positively and taking up the game at a low level for little money at the age of 39.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I have to say I don't recall those comments on here and I'm not sure why the two are mutually exclusive anyhow. Its perfectly possible to have had that view of Henson whilst still having respect for him for talking about RL positively and taking up the game at a low level for little money at the age of 39.

Plenty of us wanted him to come across to league and did not slag him off

Great vision, finesse, fitness and speed.... He was fantastic in his prime and there were always rumours of a league move (a la Cipriani) 

The showbiz stuff he brought/ brings? Well I'd be very happy for one of our SL stars to start boffing someone as famous as Charlotte Church.... get himself on the front pages!! 

Just now, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Was he saying this 10-15 years ago?

What's that got to do with anything? Oh no someone high profile enjoys our game, quick let's belittle his opinion.

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Everything marra. He’s telling league fans what they want to hear.

Spoke to him about this have you, is that what he told you? I mean there's no chance he might actually just have that opinion eh....

8 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

8 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Never said he was.... I said the move to league was always mooted.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/crusaders-tight-lipped-gavin-henson-bid-1930352.amp

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Spoke to him about this have you, is that what he told you? I mean there's no chance he might actually just have that opinion eh....

Like you marra I haven’t spoken to him and yes he could but I guess it’s just a coincidence that he’s saying this all of a sudden now he’s playing the game.

I seem to remember Scott Gibbs regularly saying that league was better than union when he went back to union and post his playing career.

just saying.

Just now, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Like you marra I haven’t spoken to him and yes he could but I guess it’s just a coincidence that he’s saying this all of a sudden now he’s playing the game.

I seem to remember Scott Gibbs regularly saying that league was better than union when he went back to union and post his playing career.

just saying.

I'll ask him for you if you like.....

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

just saying.

It's a coincidence that he said it I  answer to a question in an interview? I don't think you have even watched it.

Archived