Rugby League is a better game to play and watch says Gavin Henson

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

I went to school with a lad who was a Bradford Northern fan. I used to take the pee out of him for following such a boring game. 

I changed my mind years later, It’s perfectly possible. 

You mean you changed your opinion of something, is that allowed?

10 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Well I only did it for the money to be honest. 😝

Sorry but that simply isn't allowed,  you have to keep the same opinion from 10-15 years ago about 2 sports that have changed quite significantly in that time frame. Sorry, but that's the rules....

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Other memories are available. Yes, people took the mickey out of his spray-tanned look and his tabloid pantomime relationship with Charlotte Church, but plenty said he looked like one of the few British RU players at the time with any flair and attacking skills.

And one of the few rugby fans could and still do recognise 

1 hour ago, doc said:

How dare he tell us how good our game is? Surely he knows only expert fans on message boards are allowed to do so?

Outraged !

Indeed, if it’s played within a few miles of the M62 Rugby League is the World’s greatest game, but it has absolutely no chance of ever been a success or enjoyed in the UK away from the holy rugby league motorway. 

1 hour ago, doc said:

How dare he tell us how good our game is? Surely he knows only expert fans on message boards are allowed to do so?

Outraged !

I hope I haven't upset anyone. 😉 I'd only just got back from having my first vaccination jab!😁

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

There was hopes that the introduction of the new six-again rules would bring the little blokes into the game and I know it is early days but I`ve starting to get a feeling that while we might start to see a couple of faster smaller blokes in key positions the game is still going to be dominated by bigger players, they might be a bit more mobile and aerobically fit so they can stat out there longer but still mostly big blokes.

I saw an article(which I wanted to post but couldn`t find) on the Warriors and Knights forwards and bench players this weekend and they were a bunch of giants on both sides. It seems there is probably just too much value in big blokes that can make yardage for coaches to give them up.

I wonder if the only way we are going to get back to the type of game you`re talking about is to either put a cap on player size or the number of players above a certain size.

I was thinking about the analogy with boxing where the lighter weight divisions are generally much more lively affairs with a lot more punches thrown compared to the heavier divisions where they can be a bit more like slug-fests. Perhaps this is were League has come to, we need to get back to those `lighter divisions` to get back to that lively attacking play you talk about. They have `weigh-ins` in boxing perhaps we need to have something similar in League. 

We've been up this road before Rocket.

Can't remember who kicked it off, or when but I referred to is as ''Middleweight league'' say with a 13 or 14 stone weight limit.

As you say, the lighter weights in boxing are far more lively affairs, faster and more skillful.

Middleweight Rugby League could be very entertaining to watch and I reckon draw in a lot of players who are just put off by the BiffGiants.

I think its worth a go. 

55 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Indeed, if it’s played within a few miles of the M62 Rugby League is the World’s greatest game, but it has absolutely no chance of ever been a success or enjoyed in the UK away from the holy rugby league motorway. 

Before the M62 was built, was rugby league the A63, A62 and A580 sport?

18 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

He’s probably only saying this to keep his employers sweet. He won’t want that multi million pound deal with South Wales to be put in jeopardy.

In fairness there's...erm...10's of pounds at stake here....

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Not really as I remember Scott Gibbs openly saying that he preferred to play and watch league when he went back to union in 1996.

I think theres quite a few players out there who would enjoy League however feel the Money in Union is too good.

In League unless you are a top NRL player in the Halves, the wadges dont compare and it's a tough tough game to earn a living in. NRL is super competitive.

14 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

I think theres quite a few players out there who would enjoy League however feel the Money in Union is too good.

In League unless you are a top NRL player in the Halves, the wadges dont compare and it's a tough tough game to earn a living in. NRL is super competitive.

Not just the money but genuine international fixtures, tours and world cups.

8 hours ago, Oxford said:

Rugby League is a better game to play and watch says Gavin Henson

" ....at the moment ..."

The small print is always the telling point, isn't it?

Er  

8 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

And you all fell for it!!

He also said he wished he'd done it sooner,   you snooze & you ....

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived