Super League urged to link with NRL

3 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

A private equity expert believes Super League needs to seek a detailed partnership with the NRL if it wants to expand. Andrew Umbers, the co-founder...

View the full article

Its an easy and quite obvious thing to say from people who know next to nothing about our sport 

These people would sell sand to the Arabs 

4 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

A private equity expert believes Super League needs to seek a detailed partnership with the NRL if it wants to expand. Andrew Umbers, the co-founder...

View the full article

Form my observation of business is partnerships can make needed changes difficult to execute whereas take overs at least allow decisions and progress to be made.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

46 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Form my observation of business is partnerships can make needed changes difficult to execute whereas take overs at least allow decisions and progress to be made.

The NRL would be foolish to try taking over SL.  As Phil Gould explains in the video below, all but a few NRL clubs trade from a position of insolvency so the NRL will need all their financial resources to address that situation.

This is one of those subjects which deserves constant discussion as between the clubs and the respective governing bodies. Maybe a takeover, maybe some JVs, maybe it just needs V’landys to become joint head of an RL group. We can never have too much sharing of ideas, and cross communication. 

The point about technical insolvency in sport is of course a total red herring. That’s the clubs’ choice, there is no point their making profits. As long as they can keep the wolf from the door and teams on the fields, their balance sheets and p and ls are irrelevant. 

17 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The NRL would be foolish to try taking over SL.  As Phil Gould explains in the video below, all but a few NRL clubs trade from a position of insolvency so the NRL will need all their financial resources to address that situation.

The top 5 or 6 SL clubs are far better run than most of the NRL.

Would be crazy to be run by a league that is basically bankrup.

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

The NRL business model is basically to run clubs abysmally at a loss and prop them up by gambling dens which destroy the lives of vulnerable members of their fan base. 

Quite what expertise most nrl club administrators would bring to the UK is hard to fathom. 

I think anyone from the NRL would get a nasty shock if they got involved with RL over here. No more open doors in the media, and hostility from all quarters, including a defensive attitude from any UK clubs who felt threatened by ambitious plans.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Super League got it right 10 years ago when we introduced licensing, which is essentially how the NRL operates. Sadly we listened to a few old nostalgic flat cappers and scrapped it without giving it a chance to prosper.

No the whole licencing process was a massive stitch up , which of course you know 😂

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I think anyone from the NRL would get a nasty shock if they got involved with RL over here. No more open doors in the media, and hostility from all quarters, including a defensive attitude from any UK clubs who felt threatened by ambitious plans.

The announcement today that women's football will get massive TV coverage with their new deal tells us all we need to know , nobody cares or watches it , but political correctness dictates they get a deal for in excess of its true value 

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Yep and they couldn't run the SL clubs paid on gambling addition of its fans like the NRL do....

20 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The announcement today that women's football will get massive TV coverage with their new deal tells us all we need to know , nobody cares or watches it , but political correctness dictates they get a deal for in excess of its true value 

If you want to make a thread about that, do so. I can think of at least two TRL members who will pitch in with full gusto. This thread, however, isn't the place.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No the whole licencing process was a massive stitch up , which of course you know 😂

I agree 😮

We have about ten small-to-medium sized clubs who could be as big as Wakey or Leigh or Salford or even, at a push, Hull KR, if they were in Super League. Just because some happened to be up or down at the time the music stopped doesn't mean the ones who are in should stay in and the ones who are out should stay out. But that's what it became.

Licencing doesn't work when you have say six large or big clubs and then a large number of clubs who are small but not tiny. You could swap any number of the latter around without making much difference to the league's popularity or commercial success. But by refusing them a future you destroy the hopes of fans on the outside who would once have been able to at least harbour future prospects of their clubs making a comeback, which leads to decline, resentment and stagnation in the Championship. This is possibly acceptable on a strategic level if you think you can bring in a new fanbase in franchised expansion cities; but that is an incredibly long-term project which licencing was never intended to address.

Instead we have just ended up destroying good, solid Rugby League clubs and communities in places like Halifax and Oldham and even Widnes.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

I agree 😮

We have about ten small-to-medium sized clubs who could be as big as Wakey or Leigh or Salford or even, at a push, Hull KR, if they were in Super League. Just because some happened to be up or down at the time the music stopped doesn't mean the ones who are in should stay in and the ones who are out should stay out. But that's what it became.

Licencing doesn't work when you have say six large or big clubs and then a large number of clubs who are small but not tiny. You could swap any number of the latter around without making much difference to the league's popularity or commercial success. But by refusing them a future you destroy the hopes of fans on the outside who would once have been able to at least harbour future prospects of their clubs making a comeback, which leads to decline, resentment and stagnation in the Championship. This is possibly acceptable on a strategic level if you think you can bring in a new fanbase in franchised expansion cities; but that is an incredibly long-term project which licencing was never intended to address.

Instead we have just ended up destroying good, solid Rugby League clubs and communities in places like Halifax and Oldham and even Widnes.

Completely agree.

I can see the benefits of a licensing/franchise system in new areas. I can see the pitfalls of P&R in new areas too.

But licensing/franchising would also see the slow death of traditional areas left out, and these are the lifeblood of our bigger events. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

9 hours ago, M j M said:

The NRL business model is basically to run clubs abysmally at a loss and prop them up by gambling dens which destroy the lives of vulnerable members of their fan base. 

Quite what expertise most nrl club administrators would bring to the UK is hard to fathom. 

That’s not quite true, the $2,000,000,000 TV deal is where the majority of NRL club’s income is from. Gambling machines and gambling in general is massive in Australia, it’s not down to the NRL clubs to change the laws in the country, that’s down to politicians and government. 

On 21/03/2021 at 20:32, Total Rugby League said:

View the full article

Same bloke who got a £750,000 finders fee for a deal that never happened?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Surely the link with the NRL should be a proper international governing body?

this.. 

it is a joke that 2 competitions can run different rules and then we have another set for internationals for a start.. a governing body should sort that out. 

The governing body should also take on the running of some form of international calendar and enforce the release of players as they do in football and rugby union (fines handed out if clubs do not do this etc). 

just make it all make a little more sense and have someone looking over the greater good of the game for a change. 

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Nearly 12m people watched England's World Cup semi final on the BBC in 2019. What was the last RL game on the BBC to achieve that sort of number?

Maybe RL should try being more "politically correct", whatever the hell that is supposed to mean? 

3 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Nearly 12m people watched England's World Cup semi final on the BBC in 2019. What was the last RL game on the BBC to achieve that sort of number?

Maybe RL should try being more "politically correct", whatever the hell that is supposed to mean? 

DNFTT

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Be interesting to see the figures fit the women’s games at the World Cup - also which channels they are shown on.

One simple thing the RFL could do is play the women’s challenge cup alongside the men’s at Wembley. Double-header, double coverage, attract more families. Much better than the ridiculous 1895 cup rubbish.

3 hours ago, RP London said:

this.. 

it is a joke that 2 competitions can run different rules and then we have another set for internationals for a start.. a governing body should sort that out. 

The governing body should also take on the running of some form of international calendar and enforce the release of players as they do in football and rugby union (fines handed out if clubs do not do this etc). 

just make it all make a little more sense and have someone looking over the greater good of the game for a change. 

Our international game does not make money.  And we do release players, that's easy because we hardly ever play internationals!

In RU... The international game does make money and it is the cherry on the cake for club football.  In cricket its the same.  And cricket has changed its rules no end in order to make money.

16 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

The NRL is basically bankrupt?

You better pray that’s not true. Pray very hard it’s bares absolutely no semblance to the truth. For the sake of your own club’s relevance, if nothing else.

16 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

This is one of those subjects which deserves constant discussion as between the clubs and the respective governing bodies. Maybe a takeover, maybe some JVs, maybe it just needs V’landys to become joint head of an RL group. We can never have too much sharing of ideas, and cross communication. 

The point about technical insolvency in sport is of course a total red herring. That’s the clubs’ choice, there is no point their making profits. As long as they can keep the wolf from the door and teams on the fields, their balance sheets and p and ls are irrelevant. 

If the NRL partner with a PE company then I could see the RFL being subsumed.

I think in the southern hemisphere especially the Pacific there is scope for expansion.   Less so here.  Possibly investment in France.

Archived