Membership numbers

1 minute ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I had a bronze card for a few years as I simply missed too many games through work, holidays and family commitments to make the full season ticket worthwhile. 

The problem with it is that, from the fan perspective, it only really offered any value if tickets are difficult to get, which is rarely the case in RL. Other than not paying a booking fee, the only other perks were not having paper tickets (irrelevant in the age of mobile phone ticketing) and being able to join the priority queue for finals tickets - but it's not like those are hard to get hold of. 

There weren't enough other perks to really make it valuable and in the end, I found I was mainly buying it for symbolic or altruistic reasons. 

Shame really, it does demonstrate how clubs need to see what the value is in their products. I'm not saying they should remove anything currently on offer, just to recognise what its value is. I also have a feeling it has been the same for over 10 years, which doesn't seem very responsive to the market.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’d like Super League clubs to be more open and transparent and publish their numbers too, it can only be a good thing IMO and makes it competitive in who can get the most people signed up to memberships. 

The info would probably be used more to slag off the bottom fans rather than congratulate the top.

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

Would be interesting to see however I can’t see the numbers for Wakefield for example being good. 

I rest my case.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 minute ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

The info would probably be used more to slag off the bottom fans rather than congratulate the top.

I rest my case.

Its a bit like fat shaming, too much is obviously abusive and horrible for a person serving no purpose, but a certain amount of pressure to not be fat, or in this case have low membership numbers, can be necessary as a kick up the rear to force teams to be more active and address the obvious problem.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Shame really, it does demonstrate how clubs need to see what the value is in their products. I'm not saying they should remove anything currently on offer, just to recognise what its value is. I also have a feeling it has been the same for over 10 years, which doesn't seem very responsive to the market.

It's a difficult balance for the club to get, I'll admit. The bronze card can't be too good as it will encourage too many silver card holders to downgrade, but it needs to offer something of value to those who do hold it.

Unless you have enough demand for tickets, then pitching the bronze card as a sort of "queue jump" doesn't really work because there is no queue to jump. It really is hard to see an audience for it when tickets are easy to get and when you can get through the turnstyle simply by waving a mobile phone under a barcode reader. 

Either the club needs to have enough demand for tickets to naturally add some inherent value to the ticket (in the way that it's very difficult to get tickets at certain football clubs without some sort of membership or loyalty points) or it needs to be pitched at a different audience entirely. In truth, the best audience for it should probably be "distanced" fans, but what from the current product does a distanced fan get for their £25?

24 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

It's a difficult balance for the club to get, I'll admit. The bronze card can't be too good as it will encourage too many silver card holders to downgrade, but it needs to offer something of value to those who do hold it.

Unless you have enough demand for tickets, then pitching the bronze card as a sort of "queue jump" doesn't really work because there is no queue to jump. It really is hard to see an audience for it when tickets are easy to get and when you can get through the turnstyle simply by waving a mobile phone under a barcode reader. 

Either the club needs to have enough demand for tickets to naturally add some inherent value to the ticket (in the way that it's very difficult to get tickets at certain football clubs without some sort of membership or loyalty points) or it needs to be pitched at a different audience entirely. In truth, the best audience for it should probably be "distanced" fans, but what from the current product does a distanced fan get for their £25?

this is where the online stuff can fit... offer you 2 tickets and online streaming for example.. allows you to plan a trip up for a couple of matches but also get to see all games through a streaming service as a "season ticket holder". 

5 minutes ago, RP London said:

this is where the online stuff can fit... offer you 2 tickets and online streaming for example.. allows you to plan a trip up for a couple of matches but also get to see all games through a streaming service as a "season ticket holder". 

Agreed, and this is where the TV rights need to be intelligently sold to allow clubs to use digital content. 

I've been in the position where study, work and family has seen me move around the country and even out of the country and what you soon realise when you do that is that the overall experience of trying to watch RL if you aren't within earshot of the M62 seems needlessly difficult. I'd have certainly paid a subscription that would allow me to follow Leeds games in a way that was slightly more engaging that refreshing the club Twitter feed or catching snippets through an online stream of Radio Leeds. 

53 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Yeah I agree. This year must have shown clubs that a bloke sat in a villa in Spain or a dasha in Moscow is as valuable to them as a person living opposite the ground. Allow them to spend their money!

2 hours ago, RP London said:

The £50 deal that Widnes had last year which let you watch all games online (not live, they were typically available a couple of days later) was excellent value, even though they did have to pad it out with videos of old games once the season stopped in March.  Great way to get extra money for something for relatively little extra work.

When my kids were younger, they played (at different ages) football, rugby union and cricket.  Cambridge United had a scheme (run by volunteers) where each kid within about 20 miles of the ground who played for a football club got free membership - basically a membership card with the club badge, your name and so on. You also got a birthday card from the club mascot. Loads of those kids ended up going to watch games and some are now regulars as adults. Nothing like that in cricket at the time, or in RU. Now though, Saracens give kids in that same club tickets for one of their big events at Wembley and make it worthwhile for the club to take a bunch of coaches down to London. No guarantees that any of them will end up regular attendees, but they're building a huge pool of casual supporters who'll watch them on TV or whatever.

A lot of those NRL memberships will be for the Leagues Club rather than a straight equivalent of our season ticket, I would've thought?

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

The £50 deal that Widnes had last year which let you watch all games online (not live, they were typically available a couple of days later) was excellent value, even though they did have to pad it out with videos of old games once the season stopped in March.  Great way to get extra money for something for relatively little extra work.

When my kids were younger, they played (at different ages) football, rugby union and cricket.  Cambridge United had a scheme (run by volunteers) where each kid within about 20 miles of the ground who played for a football club got free membership - basically a membership card with the club badge, your name and so on. You also got a birthday card from the club mascot. Loads of those kids ended up going to watch games and some are now regulars as adults. Nothing like that in cricket at the time, or in RU. Now though, Saracens give kids in that same club tickets for one of their big events at Wembley and make it worthwhile for the club to take a bunch of coaches down to London. No guarantees that any of them will end up regular attendees, but they're building a huge pool of casual supporters who'll watch them on TV or whatever.

A lot of those NRL memberships will be for the Leagues Club rather than a straight equivalent of our season ticket, I would've thought?

the middle paragraph about kids for me is massive and is such a missed market. Eagles have a £10-15 kids membership that i buy every year for my son and he loves the idea he is part of it but he then also wants the shirt and to go and watch etc etc.

Get them young, make them feel part of something. 

Its where i get frustrated with some coaches i have met who want to bin off kids that arent great, forgetting that in the end only a few of the youngsters will step up (and some of the ones you dont think will do at 8 will mature nicely into good players) but what you need are the others as supporters, admin, coaches, physios and so on... never ever put off kids from taking part as they are the future of the entire club. Make them feel welcome in whatever way you can

32 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That’s appalling 

One of the clubs down the road from us have poached some of the players that we had and told others that they are not wanted (some they keep around just in case they are short one week but dont take to games if they can help it as you are supposed to give kids equal game time!).. We have tried to encourage them to come up to us but its tough once they have been told that and the parents arent happy.. I would happily take my time with those kids and make them better players even if they still will never be as good as the ones who left, i would get more satisfaction out of it personally.. 

Its so wrong.. annoys me so much.

3 hours ago, JonM said:

Agree with all of that re kids.

On the last point, leagues club memberships are separate from these ticket memberships. The LCs have many more members, some of whom support the footy team but others just want to use the facilities.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

As others have said the main reason NZ Warriors numbers are so low so because this is 2nd season being based in Australia. Other reason they have been mediocre side for last 10 seasons now. Also refs continual poor calls against the Warriors have had some impact on there support... and this has made some people lose interest.

On 23/03/2021 at 23:28, JonM said:

I’m both a member of the Raiders leagues clubs and the NRL team. The memberships are different. One doesn’t give you access to the other.

The Raiders leagues clubs in the Canberra region. Have a look at the links... the leagues clubs are great. Even their beer glasses have the Raiders logo on them.

https://www.raidersbelconnen.com.au/

https://www.raidersgungahlin.com.au/
https://www.raidersweston.com.au/
https://www.mawsonclub.com.au/

https://www.qlc.com.au/

On 23/03/2021 at 19:52, The Future is League said:

The Warriors and the Titans have a lot of work to do on their memberships

I think the warriors are doing ok considering they don’t play in NZ at the moment.

Archived