Catalans Dragons - Toulouse Olympique

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Toulouse will probably win the Championship only to find that the Northern clubs have all banded together and decided to ring fence the competition for 3 years, meaning we get stuck with Leigh, a suburb of Wigan.

I suspect a number of clubs (and probably their fans too) would prefer that. 

What a strange assumption about Clubs fans. As a Featherstone fan and I speak for all the others I know, would wish Toulouse well if they win promotion. And I am sure Leigh supporters will have no problem with their team being relegated if they finish bottom.

6 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

What a strange assumption about Clubs fans. As a Featherstone fan and I speak for all the others I know, would wish Toulouse well if they win promotion. And I am sure Leigh supporters will have no problem with their team being relegated if they finish bottom.

I think a large number of fans from the likes of HullKR, Leigh, Wakefield etc do not want a well run, well-financed Toulouse in the League. Appreciate Toulouse have not got to that level before, but should they get there, certain Northerners will start squealing.

If this wasn't the case, then why would the fans not have been supportive of generous cap exemptions for teams in Development areas, such as London Broncos and Catalans? Anyone can see that in order for the game to grow, these clubs need to be given a temporary leg up. The traditional fan base however are vehemently against this any time it is suggested. 

2 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I think a large number of fans from the likes of HullKR, Leigh, Wakefield etc do not want a well run, well-financed Toulouse in the League. Appreciate Toulouse have not got to that level before, but should they get there, certain Northerners will start squealing.

If this wasn't the case, then why would the fans not have been supportive of generous cap exemptions for teams in Development areas, such as London Broncos and Catalans? Anyone can see that in order for the game to grow, these clubs need to be given a temporary leg up. The traditional fan base however are vehemently against this any time it is suggested. 

This Northerner wouldn't be squealing if they go up, as I said good luck to them and hopefully it would be good for French RL and their International side. On your point regarding a leg up, it's hard to maybe come up with something that is fair to all in the League. I think London have been in the game long enough now not to qualify for additional help if it was available.

3 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Romain Pallares from the reserve team 

I’ve liked Pallares from the limited times I’ve seen him. I was surprised he hadn’t got a look earlier and wondered if I was missing something. Look forward to seeing him play at this level. 

Paulo has also played in the halves previously and may get the nod, although him and Ford are too similar so doubt it 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

I’ve liked Pallares from the limited times I’ve seen him. I was surprised he hadn’t got a look earlier and wondered if I was missing something. Look forward to seeing him play at this level. 

Paulo has also played in the halves previously and may get the nod, although him and Ford are too similar so doubt it 

Yeah I agree with that. There are players that can fill in like Marion, White, Paolo and Pallares but TO really need someone that has experience of controlling a game 

15 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Yeah I agree with that. There are players that can fill in like Marion, White, Paolo and Pallares but TO really need someone that has experience of controlling a game 

Jussaume has also filled in before but he’s best at centre. With Marion at 9 and Ford at 6 and Kheirellah at 1, there’s plenty of experience there. Pallares is a natural scrum half and would complement them well

Last year they had Robin and Barthau a long with Ford in the halves. To lose Reynolds days before the opener a bit of a shock. Also losing wing Marcon for the season after injury against Catalans leaves them a bit short too. Hitchcox missing at York tomorrow. Only one out and out wing in Bergal. Their pack though I think the best they've ever had - lets see how they go.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

4 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I can only speak as one individual northerner, but would be against either ring fencing to keep any particular club out or giving a club a leg up based on their location.

Let's just have teams promoted/relegated based on their performance on the field. It doesn't matter where they are based; somewhere the game hasn't been played before, Toulouse, or the central reservation of the M62!

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

I can only speak as one individual northerner, but would be against either ring fencing to keep any particular club out or giving a club a leg up based on their location.

Let's just have teams promoted/relegated based on their performance on the field. It doesn't matter where they are based; somewhere the game hasn't been played before, Toulouse, or the central reservation of the M62!

That's fine @Barley Mow but the end result will be that you have a league drawn from the aforementioned M62. 

The failure of the sport to expand at grass roots level means that the overwhelming majority of players come from the M62 area and Cumbria. .  If a club from far outside of the M62 (Toulouse, London, Toronto, etc) is going to be able to attract players, then they NEED a leg up financially as their rivals do not need to offer housing, players have no need to relocate, and these clubs can attract players from the community game which exists in their areas. Real expansion teams don't have that, so have to 'sign' guys in. Their Academy will also normally be weaker, as there are simply far fewer RL playing kids in their area.

So yes... Sit there and say "Performance on the field" is all that matters, but if behind the scenes the non-M62(ish) clubs are fighting with one hand tied behind their back (in a league with an incredibly low salary cap to start with) then you can realistically forget them being able to compete over a longer period.

Any pro sport these days stands or falls by TV numbers, and everyone (club owners etc) are fully aware of this. If you are happy with your TV audience being drawn from a single part of England (as that's where the supporters effectively come from) then the prices paid by broadcasters will reflect that, and the league will continue to include teams who cannot even afford to spend the meagre salary cap, never mind raise it.

The downward spiral will continue.

Good luck with it if that's what you want.

2 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

That's fine @Barley Mow but the end result will be that you have a league drawn from the aforementioned M62. 

The failure of the sport to expand at grass roots level means that the overwhelming majority of players come from the M62 area and Cumbria. .  If a club from far outside of the M62 (Toulouse, London, Toronto, etc) is going to be able to attract players, then they NEED a leg up financially as their rivals do not need to offer housing, players have no need to relocate, and these clubs can attract players from the community game which exists in their areas. Real expansion teams don't have that, so have to 'sign' guys in. Their Academy will also normally be weaker, as there are simply far fewer RL playing kids in their area.

So yes... Sit there and say "Performance on the field" is all that matters, but if behind the scenes the non-M62(ish) clubs are fighting with one hand tied behind their back (in a league with an incredibly low salary cap to start with) then you can realistically forget them being able to compete over a longer period.

Any pro sport these days stands or falls by TV numbers, and everyone (club owners etc) are fully aware of this. If you are happy with your TV audience being drawn from a single part of England (as that's where the supporters effectively come from) then the prices paid by broadcasters will reflect that, and the league will continue to include teams who cannot even afford to spend the meagre salary cap, never mind raise it.

The downward spiral will continue.

Good luck with it if that's what you want.

I don't want to hijack this thread like so many others have been and take it away from its intended topic by reciting the same old points that have been made in 1,000s of posts before. But by way of a brief reply:

I'm all for spreading the game to as many people as possible, but don't think that is best achieved by favouring clubs based on their geographical location. 

The governing bodies should be investing in grass roots frameworks and infrastructure to encourage the game outside of traditional areas (and inside them to a lesser extent).

The aim should be equality of opportunity in the game rather than equality of outcome (which is what we would be trying to achieve from short term favouring of clubs based on location).

My preference may result in slower and incremental growth, but I think it would be longer lasting growth than comes from a short term leg up approach.

19 hours ago, damp squib said:

It completely passed me by that Ben Reynolds has returned to Leigh. Anyone know who Toulouse are planning to put in the halves with Jonathan Ford?

Yes, that threw a big spanner in the works...they are not happy bunnies i'm led to believe.

Was interesting listening into the BBC Radio York for the TO game Saturday. The names you normally hear for the French team are Ford and Kheirallah who have held Toulouse together these last years. But in this opener it was really all about their pack. Garbutt in particular leading the way. When early on they lost two of their back-line Vaivai and Schaumkel with injuries they were short handed. But they handled it with some panache. Peyroux a second-rower and winner with Saints in last years Grand Final took a left wing spot and got their opening try. After the turn-round it was the former Wigan forward Bretherton who replaced Peyroux out on the left flank and he too got a try.

Romain Pallares was named in the 21 man group for York but turned out instead at Carcassonne for the clubs Elite1 game with the competitions leaders. The half-back had an excellent game with an 80 yard run and try in the late stages. But the bloke to me who caught my eye was their left winger Etienne Depeyre. He had earlier season shone against the Baby Dracs at Brutus with 4 tries that day. I have'nt heard much about him since. But at Domec he grabbed a brace of tries both impressive. The first one from half-way getting the better of Soubreyras and then rounded full back Bitigri in style. This lad doessn't really look the part but he's got something about him. His second effort from close-in and from a short cross field kick into the corner saw the winger leap high and gather with aplomb. Wonder whether Sylvain Houles will give him a go.

Have a look at his tries here anyway 35 mins/75 mins

https://treizemondial.fr/elite-1-10eme-journee-carcassonne-xiii-vs-toulouse-olympique-elite-en-direct-video/

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

24 minutes ago, audois said:

Was interesting listening into the BBC Radio York for the TO game Saturday. The names you normally hear for the French team are Ford and Kheirallah who have held Toulouse together these last years. But in this opener it was really all about their pack. Garbutt in particular leading the way. When early on they lost two of their back-line Vaivai and Schaumkel with injuries they were short handed. But they handled it with some panache. Peyroux a second-rower and winner with Saints in last years Grand Final took a left wing spot and got their opening try. After the turn-round it was the former Wigan forward Bretherton who replaced Peyroux out on the left flank and he too got a try.

Romain Pallares was named in the 21 man group for York but turned out instead at Carcassonne for the clubs Elite1 game with the competitions leaders. The half-back had an excellent game with an 80 yard run and try in the late stages. But the bloke to me who caught my eye was their left winger Etienne Depeyre. He had earlier season shone against the Baby Dracs at Brutus with 4 tries that day. I have'nt heard much about him since. But at Domec he grabbed a brace of tries both impressive. The first one from half-way getting the better of Soubreyras and then rounded full back Bitigri in style. This lad doessn't really look the part but he's got something about him. His second effort from close-in and from a short cross field kick into the corner saw the winger leap high and gather with aplomb. Wonder whether Sylvain Houles will give him a go.

Have a look at his tries here anyway 35 mins/75 mins

https://treizemondial.fr/elite-1-10eme-journee-carcassonne-xiii-vs-toulouse-olympique-elite-en-direct-video/

2 good tries especially the 1st. How old is he and pallares?

On 05/04/2021 at 14:38, Cumbrian Mackem said:

2 good tries especially the 1st. How old is he and pallares?

I don't know the ages of these players. Depeyre I would imagine in his early 20's. The two players he got the better of for the first try are established Carcassonne players. Presently just one fit winger available in Bergal. Laguerre (younger brother of Matthieu at the Dragons) also showed up Saturday. He can play in several back-line postions too.

2 hours ago, audois said:

I don't know the ages of these players. Depeyre I would imagine in his early 20's. The two players he got the better of for the first try are established Carcassonne players. Presently just one fit winger available in Bergal. Laguerre (younger brother of Matthieu at the Dragons) also showed up Saturday. He can play in several back-line postions too.

Who was the number 4 for TO Broncos? He looked like a handy player 

Surprise that Dragons have given a professional contract for this season to forward Jordan Dezaria. He's earned it in Elite 1 this year and went well in the pre-season games. Second time round for him. Arrived from Avignon to play in the Academy.Then a few runs in SL 2016/17 before joining Leigh. Returned to France and TO after that. In the Group to play at Wakefield Saturday along with Le Cam.

Out of interest great to see all the youngsters at Brutus doing lots of press releases recently starting with Laguerre, Morgue, Da Costa, Yaha and Goudemand.

2 hours ago, audois said:

Surprise that Dragons have given a professional contract for this season to forward Jordon Dezaria. He's earned it in Elite 1 this year and went well in the pre-season games. Second time round for him. Arrived from Avignon to play in the Academy.Then a few runs in SL 2016/17 before joining Leigh. Returned to France and TO after that. In the Group to play at Wakefield Saturday along with Le Cam.

Out of interest great to see all the youngsters at Brutus doing lots of press releases recently starting with Laguerre, Morgue, Da Costa, Yaha and Goudemand.

Good to see Dezaria back in the picture at the Dragons,  I always thought he was too good for the Elite One. Especially good to see him and Le Cam in the squad coz I feel that France are a bit short on 2nd row options. I would say the same about Le Cam, he's well above Elite One standard now and I'd like to see him tested at SL level. Let's hope they both get game time 

With Dezaria returning it makes a dozen who originate from Provence at the Dragons. Impressive

Brochon

Laguerre

Mourgue

Carre

Salabio 

Garcia

Goudemand

Jullien

Vailhen

Dezaria

Yaha 

Romano

On 06/04/2021 at 11:35, audois said:

Depeyre not involved much Sunday  v Villeneuve/Lot after his efforts at Carcassonne. Liked Benjamin Laguerre's contributions though. 18-0 down but the TO mostly give it a go as they did here to finish 18-14. The younger Laguerre has something to offer. Scored a try and assisted for the second. Have a look here. TO in the white shirts.

https://www.to13.com/to-elite-1/to-elite-v-villeneuve-xiii-le-resume-video/

On 10/04/2021 at 12:26, audois said:

With Dezaria returning it makes a dozen who originate from Provence at the Dragons. Impressive

Brochon

Laguerre

Mourgue

Carre

Salabio 

Garcia

Goudemand

Jullien

Vailhen

Dezaria

Yaha 

Romano

That is impressive Gordon we need a strong Carpentres back in Elite 1:)

Paul

On 06/04/2021 at 11:35, audois said:

Depeyre is 19 but has been around the open age team for a couple of years............scored a try vs Catalans in the pre season friendly last year. 

Pallares is 22

47 minutes ago, audois said:

Depeyre not involved much Sunday  v Villeneuve/Lot after his efforts at Carcassonne. Liked Benjamin Laguerre's contributions though. 18-0 down but the TO mostly give it a go as they did here to finish 18-14. The younger Laguerre has something to offer. Scored a try and assisted for the second. Have a look here. TO in the white shirts.

https://www.to13.com/to-elite-1/to-elite-v-villeneuve-xiii-le-resume-video/

That was a hard watch. The music was painful to listen to, the camera was far away and shaking all over the place and I was confused as to why the Leopards were playing in TO colours. TO really need to improve their production of Elite 1 games, it's well behind the standard of other clubs. 

Having said that it looks like TO has some promising three quarters. I was also impressed with their number 4 these past few weeks, who is he? 

Archived