Challenge Cup BBC streaming figures

In terms of the usual amount of involvement for a rugby league halfback then yes, Henson was quiet.

In comparison to an average union halfback he was probably more involved than would be the norm (apart from kicking the ball away maybe).

But what the heck, he's welcome to rugby league; if he can stay injury free and as fit as a 39 year old can expect to be, he will be a positive addition to the game and his club.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

If he adds that many onto a first round game against two lower sides, he can spend the entire game painting his nails for me. 

true

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, as evidenced by the circa 30k lower figure for what is, to the general RL fan, the far superior quality fixture.

A bit more proof, if any was needed, that the on field alone isn't enough to draw interest in the sport.

Does that figure include red button viewers as a lot of people would’ve watched the Fev v Bulls game on that. 

43 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Does that figure include red button viewers as a lot of people would’ve watched the Fev v Bulls game on that. 

Wouldn't have thought they had any way to directly measure that? It's broadcast digital tv via Freeview transmitters or satellite, so the only way to get numbers would be via BARB unlike iPlayer/BBC website where their servers can count each connection individually.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

A bar has been set. 70,000-100,000 for this round. Let's see what the figures are for the next round. But there's no reason to be negative at all right now.

Excellent news - two pints, please!

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Wouldn't have thought they had any way to directly measure that? It's broadcast digital tv via Freeview transmitters or satellite, so the only way to get numbers would be via BARB unlike iPlayer/BBC website where their servers can count each connection individually.

Spoilsport.

3 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

The viewing figures seem to be very positive. It'd be interesting to know how many would've turned up at Henson first league game had crowds been allowed. 

I would estimate that 700 widnes fans would have travelled

West Wales have maybe 300 fans and probably another 500 would have turned up to watch hansen, chase and then of course widnes 

So i would be looking at a 1500 to 1700 attendance for the raiders for that game which would have generated between £40,000 to £50,000 with advertising, sponsorship and alcohol sales 

21 minutes ago, The storm said:

I would estimate that 700 widnes fans would have travelled

West Wales have maybe 300 fans and probably another 500 would have turned up to watch hansen, chase and then of course widnes 

So i would be looking at a 1500 to 1700 attendance for the raiders for that game which would have generated between £40,000 to £50,000 with advertising, sponsorship and alcohol sales 

I really can't see 700 Widnes fans traveling to watch a game against West Wales.

8 hours ago, Damien said:

I really can't see 700 Widnes fans traveling to watch a game against West Wales.

Sounds about right to me, based on away followings in the Championship last couple of years. First game of the season after 12 months off, novelty factor of not playing there before, older fans will remember people from Llanelli coming up to support Widnes. Driving to Llanelli on the A483  on a Sunday is a lot more appealing than trying to get to Leeds or Hull on a Thursday or Friday Evening. I guess the Challenge Cup is not the draw it used to be though.

51 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Despite the edit, that still makes no sense, if you understood the point.

I do understand what you were saying - ie that there’s no point trying to get new people to watch the game as they probably won’t carry on watching it. I just disagree, that’s all. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

there’s no point trying to get new people to watch the game as they probably won’t carry on watching it. 

That`s precisely what I was not saying.

There are abundant reasons for trying to get new people to watch the game as part of a plan to keep them watching. Indeed, it`s essential if the game is to thrive. My argument was that the only utility in Gavin Henson`s presence generating interest in West Wales Raiders is if the interest persists after he moves on.

In the past, when Northern clubs signed Welsh RU players, the only "plan" was to continue signing Welsh RU players. An approach which abruptly collapsed in 1995.

14 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

That`s precisely what I was not saying.

There are abundant reasons for trying to get new people to watch the game as part of a plan to keep them watching. Indeed, it`s essential if the game is to thrive. My argument was that the only utility in Gavin Henson`s presence generating interest in West Wales Raiders is if the interest persists after he moves on.

In the past, when Northern clubs signed Welsh RU players, the only "plan" was to continue signing Welsh RU players. An approach which abruptly collapsed in 1995.

Even if the Henson exposure reminds people outside the heartlands that RL exists it’s a good thing, particularly with the WC coming up on FTA tv, it’s not like the MSM do that job for us. 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

...... it’s not like the MSM do that job for us. 

MSM? 

Just now, dkw said:

Methylsulfonylmethane, used to treat arthritis....I can't believe you didn't know that....

Thank you for those few kind words. 

19 hours ago, The storm said:

probably another 500 would have turned up to watch hansen, chase and then of course widnes 

You may actually have underestimated this number, especially as for most people in South Wales Widnes will be a big name in RL, obviously because of the past and the traffic of players north, but also because of Widnes past cup exploits. I’m sure as well that under normal circumstances WWR would have looked to involve past Widnes Welsh greats to boost the crowd further.

9 hours ago, dkw said:

What about the unkind ones?

I didn't notice any unkind ones! Run them by me again?

Archived