Sat 27th Mar: SL: Wakefield Trinity v Leeds Rhinos KO 15:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/03/21 at 15:30

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, M j M said:

With the squad Leeds have put out i'll be impressed if we win. Could be a difficult start to the season for Agar.

See I honestly think the side Leeds could put out is quite impressive, considering 5 of the first choice backs are out! Bodes well for a season when there's bound to be plenty of injuries. 

Be interesting to see who slots where. You'd definitely assume Myler at FB, the two Sutcliffe's at centre. Not sure it matters too much who the other half is because anything attacking will go through Gale anyway. Might be Broadbent or swap L Sutcliffe with him at centre. Forward pack looks very strong. Be surprised if Eastmond makes the final 17. 

22 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

See I honestly think the side Leeds could put out is quite impressive, considering 5 of the first choice backs are out! Bodes well for a season when there's bound to be plenty of injuries. 

Be interesting to see who slots where. You'd definitely assume Myler at FB, the two Sutcliffe's at centre. Not sure it matters too much who the other half is because anything attacking will go through Gale anyway. Might be Broadbent or swap L Sutcliffe with him at centre. Forward pack looks very strong. Be surprised if Eastmond makes the final 17. 

I'm also not really convinced Gale is actually going to play given he's coming back from an injury which they said would see him miss the opening few rounds. That would make it very bleak indeed with only one of the first 7 squad numbers playing.

8 minutes ago, M j M said:

I'm also not really convinced Gale is actually going to play given he's coming back from an injury which they said would see him miss the opening few rounds. That would make it very bleak indeed with only one of the first 7 squad numbers playing.

Yeah I mean that would change things entirely. You'd have to put Myler in the halves if that happens. Which then probably means either L Briscoe or Broadbent at FB? 

Or Liam Sutcliffe but you need him in the centres. 

Arguably it may make sense to stick Eastmond at full back for a while as it would be a better place for him to readjust to Rugby League than in the halves. That applies even if Gale is fit. Myler and Gale in the halves would be ok, Myler and say Sutcliffe less so but the options are limited.

9 minutes ago, M j M said:

Or Liam Sutcliffe but you need him in the centres. 

Arguably it may make sense to stick Eastmond at full back for a while as it would be a better place for him to readjust to Rugby League than in the halves. That applies even if Gale is fit. Myler and Gale in the halves would be ok, Myler and say Sutcliffe less so but the options are limited.

Unless he's been absolutely ripping it up in training I'm not sure Eastmond would be trusted in one of the key spine positions. For me if he makes it into the side it could only be at centre. 

Looking at the Leeds squad there aren't many weak links.  If Wakefield keep within the predicted +8 I think I'd be happy.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

4 hours ago, M j M said:

That was before the season was delayed 2 weeks. Now 10 weeks from injury - which was the predicted schedule. 

From a Trinity standpoint,  the weakness could be speed of distribution from ptb without K Wood and a new SH - possibly carrying a rib injury. If we can get the ball out, Johnstone could have a field day - although at the back end of last year Chester was trying to go right more often. Taking advantage of any misunderstandings in Leeds' new defensive combinations out wide could be the key. Other question marks are whether Fifita has his mojo back and can Ashurst get back to his previous form. We'll miss Battye's energy down the middle, but Tanginoa can cause any team problems out wide. If we can avoid an arm wrestle down the middle, I'm quietly confident...

So, the first round games are all at Headingley yet the first Leeds fixture is "Wakefield v Leeds"?

Only in Rugby League.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

43 minutes ago, MZH said:

I just don't fancy Leeds this year, but then I fancy Wakefield even less!

Leeds are missing a few though so I'm going to back Wakefield to scrape an important early win.

Wakefield by 4

Wakefield are missing Jowitt, Hampshire, Wood, Battye, Pitts.

All would be in the 17 if fit.

42 minutes ago, dboy said:

Wakefield are missing Jowitt, Hampshire, Wood, Battye, Pitts.

All would be in the 17 if fit.

This is true but it will be all about Leeds missing stars. Fact is both teams have a handful of players out each. I see this as two pretty even teams on paper. 

looking forward to it. Hope we go expansive as looking at the teams I think wakey could have more luck attacking the edges. 

11 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

So, the first round games are all at Headingley yet the first Leeds fixture is "Wakefield v Leeds"?

Only in Rugby League.

Happened after the restart with our first game against Huddersfield being an "away game". Indeed we wore our away shirt at Headingley on more than a few times last season

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Aside from almost the entire backline being out?

I still think 2x Briscoes 2x Sutcliffes and Myler, behind a dominant pack + Gale can't be taken lightly.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

2 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I still think 2x Briscoes 2x Sutcliffes and Myler, behind a dominant pack + Gale can't be taken lightly.

Fair enough, I suppose I'm a little more doubtful of Gale playing than you! 

Are Wakefield at full strength?

So this counts as an actual Wakefield home game? 🤪

Surely the fixture planners knew that early season games would be at Leeds, Wire & Saints.

Why not simply allocate these clubs 'home games' when their stadium is being used.

I take it Wakey will be back at Headingley for their away fixture later in the season irrespective of whether fans get back in.

It's planning & shambolic methodology like this that gives Super League decision makers such an incompetent reputation.

Good luck to Wakefield but Leeds will probably sneak it.

A game Leeds would probably lose if Wakefield got to play their 'home' game at their 'home' ground later in the season.

That's Rugby League 😕

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Fair enough, I suppose I'm a little more doubtful of Gale playing than you! 

Are Wakefield at full strength?

Jowitt, Hampshire, Wood, Battye, Pitts out and Johnstone, Fifita and Lino bieng pronounced "fit enough" within the last few days.   

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

12 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Jowitt, Hampshire, Wood, Battye, Pitts out and Johnstone, Fifita and Lino bieng pronounced "fit enough" within the last few days.   

At least the injuries are spread out!

31 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

So this counts as an actual Wakefield home game? 🤪

Surely the fixture planners knew that early season games would be at Leeds, Wire & Saints.

Why not simply allocate these clubs 'home games' when their stadium is being used.

I take it Wakey will be back at Headingley for their away fixture later in the season irrespective of whether fans get back in.

It's planning & shambolic methodology like this that gives Super League decision makers such an incompetent reputation.

Good luck to Wakefield but Leeds will probably sneak it.

A game Leeds would probably lose if Wakefield got to play their 'home' game at their 'home' ground later in the season.

That's Rugby League 😕

The first 2 rounds are the loop fixtures and played behind closed doors, so does it really matter where they are? 

Wakefield play Leeds away in round 6 (mid May - still no crowds?) and at home in round 22 (end of August).

So Trinity may be the lucky ones as far as income goes. 

Archived