Sat 27th Mar: SL: Wakefield Trinity v Leeds Rhinos KO 15:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/03/21 at 15:30

Just now, dkw said:

I don't mind the 1 on 1 strip, it's players being allowed to drop of the tackle then the strip being allowed that I don't like.

It’s like any rule , it gets worked . In a normal tackle if you bust it , then get stripped one on one further upfield that should be fine . It’s sorted that anomaly , but then you manipulate it to get guys falling off deliberately . But overall I like it , it’s pretty savvy I reckon as a tactic and still in a one on one if you can’t hold the ball then bad luck IMO 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uneventful half, eh? :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It’s like any rule , it gets worked . In a normal tackle if you bust it , then get stripped one on one further upfield that should be fine . It’s sorted that anomaly , but then you manipulate it to get guys falling off deliberately . But overall I like it , it’s pretty savvy I reckon as a tactic and still in a one on one if you can’t hold the ball then bad luck IMO 

I can sort of understand if it's 2 separate tackle attempts like your scenario, but I just don't see any fairness in allowing 3 defenders to manipulate a player into position for 1 to then strip it. That one then for Leeds, Johnstone was wrestled by 2 to the ground, then 1 stripped. I just think it's going to happen a lot more leading to even messier wrestle tackles.

Also the strip won't be allowed if an attacking player joins the tackle, so that will make it even messier.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

I can sort of understand if it's 2 separate tackle attempts like your scenario, but I just don't see any fairness in allowing 3 defenders to manipulate a player into position for 1 to then strip it. That one then for Leeds, Johnstone was wrestled by 2 to the ground, then 1 stripped. I just think it's going to happen a lot more leading to even messier wrestle tackles.

Also the strip won't be allowed if an attacking player joins the tackle, so that will make it even messier.

I get your point  , as I say it is much discussed . 

Just now, dkw said:

I also get DavidM's point but in that last Leeds try Prior had actually started to prise the ball away in a two man tackle. I'm sure technically it was legal but it just didn't sit well.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

I always find its better not to judge the back end of the year by the first 40minutes of the season.

I tend to agree. Not the time to be writing people off or giving them the trophy.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

It will...for a while. Then teams will catch on and adjust. Canberra and Josh Hodgson were the kings of dropping off and stripping the ball the other year but it doesn’t happen half as much now. 

Have to admit, I don’t particularly like seeing it for the same reasons you’ve said. 

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Be interesting to see how it goes this season, I think we're going to see a lot more "voluntary tackles".

Indeed , this is the debate when people talk about making it 2 or 1 or letting it be a contest for the ball till the ref shouts held . You’re gonna go to ground . They’ll be monitoring all these rule changes 

Basically we are over complicating what was a simple eule.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

It wasn't broken, why change it?

To have a contest for the ball was a reason , when the NRL introduced it . Some teams like canberra and Melbourne really went to town on it

Just now, Padge said:

Basically we are over complicating what was a simple eule.

I think we're doing a lot of that at the moment. As Clarkie suggested last night, we're running the risk of overcomplicating the game.

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Says phil clarke ....😂

I knew somebody would pick up on that.

You were among the frontrunners 😉

Archived