Sat 27th Mar: SL: Wakefield Trinity v Leeds Rhinos KO 15:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/03/21 at 15:30

1 minute ago, dboy said:

You are talking nonsense. 

Makinson is proven at the top of SL.

TJ is not lightweight - he's bigger than Makinson.

Why would a coach want different styles on the wings? He'd want the best winger in each spot.

Makinson - the smaller of the two - is likely to be up against Maika Sivo - if you want a "basher", it's on the right wing.

You seem incapable of reading tactics or indeed words as I actually explained why a coach would want a player with significantly more bulk on one wing against the likes of Samoa or Tonga: to relieve pressure on the middles.

Johnstone isn't significantly bigger than Makinson to place him in the category of the style of Hall or McGilvary. 

International coaches routinely don't pick the best player in each position. Bateman played Centre in the world cup final!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tommygilf said:

You seem incapable of reading tactics or indeed words as I actually explained why a coach would want a player with significantly more bulk on one wing against the likes of Samoa or Tonga: to relieve pressure on the middles.

Johnstone isn't significantly bigger than Makinson to place him in the category of the style of Hall or McGilvary. 

International coaches routinely don't pick the best player in each position. Bateman played Centre in the world cup final!

Exactly. Remind me just how successful we have been picking players out of position.

If a coach wants a yardage "bulk" winger, he wouldn't pick Makinson - that's on idiotic thought.

3 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

Comfortably scraping wins. I think you might’ve convinced yourself that what you wanted to happen, happened. Leeds can say they won comfortably, that they’re just rusty and Wakefield are still rubbish - everything is ok in the world. 

Scraped on the scoreline. Bar two Johnstone breakaways a rusty Leeds with most of the backline injured were well worthy of the 3 try margin against a Wakefield that were inconsistent in attack.

1 minute ago, dboy said:

Exactly. Remind me just how successful we have been picking players out of position.

If a coach wants a yardage "bulk" winger, he wouldn't pick Makinson - that's on idiotic thought.

Course he wouldn't. He'd pick someone else. Leaving Makinson and anyone else like TJ fighting for that other spot, like I said.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Scraped on the scoreline. Bar two Johnstone breakaways a rusty Leeds with most of the backline injured were well worthy of the 3 try margin against a Wakefield that were inconsistent in attack.

I assume you'd also dismiss the shoddy dive over try from Leeds?

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Course he wouldn't. He'd pick someone else. Leaving Makinson and anyone else like TJ fighting for that other spot, like I said.

You are talking ######.

The 2 best wingers are Makinson and Johnstone. Both should be picked. 

Picking players players on size and/or out of position has failed time and time again.

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

“Leeds won comfortably with a 3 try margin, we’re a bit rusty, full of injuries, Wakefield had a full squad, Wakefield’s attack were inconsistent (not rusty but possibly dire), breakaway tries don’t count...especially if it’s Tom Johnstone who, by the way, isn’t as good as Makinson, Handley, McGilvary or Hall.”

🤣🤣

10 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

“Leeds won comfortably with a 3 try margin, we’re a bit rusty, full of injuries, Wakefield had a full squad, Wakefield’s attack were inconsistent (not rusty but possibly dire), breakaway tries don’t count...especially if it’s Tom Johnstone who, by the way, isn’t as good as Makinson, Handley, McGilvary or Hall.”

🤣🤣

I think sarcasm will be lost on Tommy so I’d save your fingers on typing. Afterall he wants Chris Hill on the wing. Rumour is he’s writing a personal email to Wane with a sure fire team selection to win the World Cup. 

Wakey fans blaming the ref again. I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.

A solid performance by a weak Leeds team; some naive backline defensive decisions but the pack looked strong. Gale was rusty after having no warm-up games but that will come round; I doubt we could have won without him. All in all a good win over difficult opposition.

29 minutes ago, Trojan Horse said:

I think sarcasm will be lost on Tommy so I’d save your fingers on typing. Afterall he wants Chris Hill on the wing. Rumour is he’s writing a personal email to Wane with a sure fire team selection to win the World Cup. 

Tbf there is a reason Wakey are the only team in Super League not to have been in a final or won something

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf there is a reason Wakey are the only team in Super League not to have been in a final or won something

How does your comment relate to Trojan's comment which you are replying to????

52 minutes ago, dboy said:

You are talking ######.

The 2 best wingers are Makinson and Johnstone. Both should be picked. 

Picking players players on size and/or out of position has failed time and time again.

Both should, if that is tactically what we're looking for. 

Next you'll be saying that the poll before a Wakefield game that said Johnstone is better than Makinson makes him the definitive better winger 🤣

Just now, dboy said:

How does your comment relate to Trojan's comment which you are replying to????

Because it demonstrates zero tactical awareness of how any team that has won something, or got close to winning something, has got there in the past 10 years.

49 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

🤣🤣

Got some extra salt for the chip on your shoulder 🤣 

Tbf at least you've not cried about being at home at Headingley yet 😂

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Because it demonstrates zero tactical awareness of how any team that has won something, or got close to winning something, has got there in the past 10 years.

You are suggesting Chris Hill on the wing?

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Got some extra salt for the chip on your shoulder 🤣 

Tbf at least you've not cried about being at home at Headingley yet 😂

Default response. Yeah, a chip on my shoulder for arguing that it was a close game and Wakefield weren’t dire. 

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Both should, if that is tactically what we're looking for. 

Next you'll be saying that the poll before a Wakefield game that said Johnstone is better than Makinson makes him the definitive better winger 🤣

Did you just laugh at your own stupidity??

No-one has suggested anything of the sort. The Sky question was who is the better finisher.

Both are remarkable finishers - the 2 best in SL.

It matters not who is actually "the best", as they play different positions.

Its great to see a winger going the length of the field.  For Johnstone's first it was poor defence from both Myler and  Briscoe - they should have forced him inside. Frankly though I'd rather see that than a speedy winger coralled.

By the way, suggesting GB/England haven't beaten Australia because of playing one or two players out of position is bonkers.  We've had to do that because we're often so weak in some positions, particularly backs.   

I think both teams were rusty to say the least. Gale was terrible by his standards, young Broadbent, for all his talent going forward will need to improve his defence. Given an almost entire reserve backline and the first game of the season I am quite happy to nick it.

It would be unfair to say Wakefield were flattered by the score, the game is about taking chances.

Leeds were dominant but not overwhelmingly and it could be argued that the small dominance we had in the game was down to the fact Wakefield repeatedly coughed up the ball or gifted set restarts rather than our great play.

The right team won but it was a game from start to finish.

Archived