Fri 26th Mar: SL: Leigh Centurions v Wigan Warriors KO 20:15 (Sky)

Who will win?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Centurions
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/03/21 at 20:45

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full credit to leigh, I said it was obv wigan would come good towards the end, I just didn't think leigh would be winning 18 0 at any point. You showed plenty of energy and speed early on though, im feeling pretty relieved this morning.

17 minutes ago, Jack Russell said:

Full credit to leigh, I said it was obv wigan would come good towards the end, I just didn't think leigh would be winning 18 0 at any point. You showed plenty of energy and speed early on though, im feeling pretty relieved this morning.

Yes , it was twitchy bum time for a while there for you jack 😉

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

But not a patch on Souths owner Russell Crowe’s antics.

Russell's got Jeff Goldblum and Liam Hemsworth; Degsy's got Geoff and his son Lee who run the lobby shop behind the guided busway terminus.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

Good game overall great start by Leigh and Wigan as they do just managed to do enough. Thought the penalty against Brierley when he had the ball was a massive turning point in the game. 

Could have gone both ways , bottom line is we had enough field position to get another couple of scores , take those and the game was ours , can we keep the early enthusiasm going into our next few games might well decide our season IMO 

1 hour ago, Jack Russell said:

I didn't think Wigan would come good at any time.  Funnily enough Leigh scored 2 tries in 3 minutes  which could have done it for them, but blow me Wigan scored 2 tries in 3 minutes in the 2nd half! Remarkable.  But Hardaker missed an easy goal at one time and that could have been vital.

But there was still 10 minutes to go when Wigan were 2 up, so all to play for for Leigh.  But to be fair to Wigan they kept Leigh at a distance.  However if Leigh could have got a penalty then it would be golden point, so I thought Wigan (bearing in mind the last minute in the GF) should have looked to for a 1 pointer.

A great effort by Leigh, I thought they deserved a point. Game Management let them down on occasions or they could have won it. A performance that gives them hope for the season. Credit to Wigan for not panicking and grinding out the win.

1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

A great effort by Leigh, I thought they deserved a point. Game Management let them down on occasions or they could have won it. A performance that gives them hope for the season. Credit to Wigan for not panicking and grinding out the win.

The half backs for leigh offered meaningless kicks at critical times and that is what lost it 

Some good moments in the forwards with Adam sidlow, Liam Hood, Jordan Thompson and Mark ionae (check spelling) particularly strong and the back line depth in attack was very good 

Matty Russell and Lewis Tierney can certainly compete at this level and I wonder where brendan elliot is gonna slot into the team 

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Funny that we have RL ' fans ' complaining about RL fans enjoying watching RL games 🤔

It's ridiculous, and seeing who said it I'm sure it was just another one of his amazing wind ups, he's such a card...

I don't like him but I thought it was great seeing him jump around, fully invested in his team.  If anyone e is allowed to enjoy watching their team surely it's the bloke paying them.

25 minutes ago, The storm said:

The half backs for leigh offered meaningless kicks at critical times and that is what lost it 

Some good moments in the forwards with Adam sidlow, Liam Hood, Jordan Thompson and Mark ionae (check spelling) particularly strong and the back line depth in attack was very good 

Matty Russell and Lewis Tierney can certainly compete at this level and I wonder where brendan elliot is gonna slot into the team 

It was terrible game management by the Leigh half backs, both were dreadful. I thought not dropping on that kick ahead had a big impact on the game, I understand why he tried to pick it up as its pretty much a certain try then but I was always taught your first move should always be to get the ball safely in a situation like that.

9 minutes ago, dkw said:

It was terrible game management by the Leigh half backs, both were dreadful. I thought not dropping on that kick ahead had a big impact on the game, I understand why he tried to pick it up as its pretty much a certain try then but I was always taught your first move should always be to get the ball safely in a situation like that.

Going to struggle without play-makers no matter how effective the suporting cast performs, a good half should be the top priority, Ellis is to come back who is far better than either of last nights 6 & 7.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Going to struggle without play-makers no matter how effective the suporting cast performs, a good half should be the top priority, Ellis is to come back who is far better than either of last nights 6 & 7.

Yep, I thought your pack was better than Wigan over the 80, but won't really help you if those 2 are playing behind it.

I thought myself last night that for 25 minutes, Leigh were the best side out of the four seen but then Wigan got back in the game. I still feel had this been at the LSV with a crowd Leigh would have won but it was not and they did not. As Jamie Soward would have put it "close enough is not good enough" and this was a golden opportunity against a beatable Wigan side.

Also alarmed to hear that Derek Beaumont was talking about "winnable" games. Channelling my inner Herb Edwards, you go in to win every game if you are of the view thta you cannot win against say Leeds away then dont get on the team bus and cross the pennines. You have a crack every game it's why you play , you play to win always.

And "F%$£"ing" Harry Smith who seems to have been media coached by the potty mouthed Louie Mc Carthy-Scarsbrook. especially doing that to Jenna💓. Though it has to be said I doubt Jenna wasa affected as its seen more of a formal greeting down under than offensive.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

I said before the game that if Wigan's pack wasn't up to speed and Leigh could match them then there were enough weaknesses in Wigan's side for Leigh to have joy. I wasn't quite expecting that joy to come down the middle of the field but perhaps that can be put down to most of those forwards only having 20-30 minutes of game time prior to this match. Our bigger forwards (Singleton and Bullock) looked a bit vulnerable to carries from Leigh's outside backs. Our bench forwards were much better and were able to turn the match.

From a Wigan perspective it's not much of a surprise. We've got a bad habit of not performing well against the perceived weaker sides. We had some really shocking displays against Wakefield and Hull KR last season. This game felt similar at times.

I was always fairly confident of Wigan getting back into it though. There was enough ability in the Wigan side to score quickly. I also thought Harry Smith played very well. When we were behind his kicking game was largely patient, just gradually increasing our territory with each kick. Then his game management late on helped us see the game out. Good assist for Bullock's try too.

I don't think you can read too much into the performance for either side though.

53 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I don't think you can read too much into the performance for either side though

I do from a Leigh perspective, has it as already been discussed the 6 & 7 are sadly lacking and to add to that in my opinion if Brierley is ever faced with a one on one defensive situation he will always come of second best, bring him up to 6 or 7 with Elliss and get Wallace and Mellor out of the way, apparently the new lad from Australia Brendan Elliott can play full back, or Tierney he has played there for both Wigan and Catalan.

4 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

I love the old fashioned draw. At times it feels like a victory for one set of fans whose side have pulled level, and a defeat for the other set of fans. I hope the golden point for League games is scrapped for the start of the 2022 season. 

4 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I love the old fashioned draw. At times it feels like a victory for one set of fans whose side have pulled level, and a defeat for the other set of fans. I hope the golden point for League games is scrapped for the start of the 2022 season. 

I completely agree, I have never agreed with golden point for league games and a draw is a perfectly acceptable result. It just feels to me of RL yet again going down the gimmick route to try and attract fans, rather than doing any real substantive changes, and copying everything the NRL do.

15 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Duffy made his money in Lord of the Rings.  On tonight it could very easily have been 24-0 at the break when Wallace (he had a shocker) dropped the ball and 5 sets later its 18-8 with a huge momentum swing

Second half it was attrition and without Hood, Sidlow and Ionae we werent sticking our noses through the defence, they should have all been back earlier.

When we have Elliot fit it creates options on our right, and then you have to look at Bell (when fit) at 6 on this showing from Wallace. Our bench props took little out of Wigan. Our start props ruined them.

Its a strange emotion as I truly felt we had too many injuries to compete tonight, so the result raises hopes as we progress in the season, at the end it was we should have won.

All About Sam – Why the Main Character of 'The Lord of the Rings' is Really  Samwise Gamgee | Lord of the Rings on Amazon Prime News, JRR Tolkien, The  Hobbit and

Ha.... He really needs to let his missus have a go at chopping his hair. Covid or not there is no excuse for a barnet like his

Just finished it... Poor old Leigh. Thought they smashed ten tonnes of **** out of the pies' middle in the first half. I guess its not surprising they tired, some of the line speed and kick chase from Leigh's pack was very unexpected.... Maybe not sustainable over 80 mins.... Or yet anyway 

Just read the criticism of Beamont's gurning/antics. Don't get it.... If I owned a SL team (and I may do one day) I would be exactly the same especially if my side had just served up Wigan over a half of rugby 

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

I completely agree, I have never agreed with golden point for league games and a draw is a perfectly acceptable result. It just feels to me of RL yet again going down the gimmick route to try and attract fans, rather than doing any real substantive changes, and copying everything the NRL do.

It's the entertainment business Damo.... Don't think I've ever seen a rubbish golden point period

45 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I do from a Leigh perspective, has it as already been discussed the 6 & 7 are sadly lacking and to add to that in my opinion if Brierley is ever faced with a one on one defensive situation he will always come of second best, bring him up to 6 or 7 with Elliss and get Wallace and Mellor out of the way, apparently the new lad from Australia Brendan Elliott can play full back, or Tierney he has played there for both Wigan and Catalan.

Ellis might make a difference if he's partnered with the right player. Most players haven't played in a year so there's bound to be some rustiness. From what I've seen of Wallace and Mellor though I agree that they probably aren't Super League quality.

I can't say I've ever been impressed with Brierley though. For me he's never really progressed from just being a support player. Maybe that's enough with the right players around him but I can't say I've ever really believed the hype.

I'd love to see Craig Mullen get an opportunity for Leigh. He only got a few opportunities at Wigan but never had a bad game. He's also a much more natural fullback than Tierney, who I've rarely seen pass a ball. Doesn't seem likely though with Brendan Elliot being signed. Russell, Thornley, Sa'u and Tierney seems a fairly solid threequarter line and it's hard to see where Elliot fits in other than fullback.

Archived