Songs that have surprising deeper/darker subjects.

Never liked it myself but " every breath you take" The Police.

I was once at a wedding and the couple described it as their song@

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Moonlight Shadow is apparently about the assassination of John Lennon.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I didn't know this but I read online after seeing your post and it has some significance as you say.

I remember reading at the time of release that Mike had studied the components that made a song a UK no I record and this was his attempt to have one.

He was close, it made number 4. 

21 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

It’s not but it was written around the time of the assassination and so has an emotional connection.

I forget who it’s meant to be really about. Houdini or somebody like that. There’s an additional verse which does some explaining.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It’s not but it was written around the time of the assassination and so has an emotional connection.

I forget who it’s meant to be really about. Houdini or somebody like that. There’s an additional verse which does some explaining.

There was a documentary on Mike Oldfield on one of the Sky channels not too long ago and I am sure they said the song has been attributed to several 'real life' incidents, but in fact it was just a made up song about a young girl shocked at the shooting, at night time, of her boyfriend. 

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Just now, Exiled Townie said:

There was a documentary on Mike Oldfield on one of the Sky channels not too long ago and I am sure they said the song has been attributed to several 'real life' incidents, but in fact it was just a made up song about a young girl shocked at the shooting, at night time, of her boyfriend. 

The quote I was thinking of has actually found its way onto wiki.

Not really... well, perhaps, when I look back on it, maybe it was. I actually arrived in New York that awful evening when he was shot and I was staying at the Virgin Records house in Perry Street, which was just a few blocks down the road from the Dakota Building where it happened, so it probably sank into my subconscious. It was originally inspired by a film I loved – Houdini, starring Tony Curtis, which was about attempts to contact Houdini after he'd died, through spiritualism... it was originally a song influenced by that, but a lot of other things must have crept in there without me realising it.

Fair to say, I suspect, given that Oldfield basically just likes to play instruments that he spent more time thinking through the two guitar solos than he did worrying too much what his song lyrics were about.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The Vapors Turning Japanese,  a big hit, but nobody at the eager to ban BBC realised it was about a lonely guy with a photo of his girl having a w##k.

8 hours ago, my missus said:

Enola Gay by OMD about as dark as they come.

STAN eminem

everybody hurts REM

The One I Love by REM is a good one for (some) people completely missing the point. Back in the day when such things existed I even saw it on a Valentine's compilation CD.

Still, if you do want to tell someone that they're a simple prop to occupy your time ...

14 hours ago, M j M said:

Greensleeves is supposedly a little ditty about a prostitute getting grass marks on her clothing by doing her business in a field.

We were taught at school that Greensleeves was written by Henry Vlll for Anne Boleyn.

26 minutes ago, M j M said:

Not true apparently.

It's one of those "no one really knows but it definitely had nothing to do with the fat philanderer" ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensleeves

55 minutes ago, Jasper said:

We were taught at school that Greensleeves was written by Henry Vlll for Anne Boleyn.

we thought it was about coming to school with a snotty nose and no hankie 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived