Wakefield

I believe Wakefield are the only city in England without a pro football club which makes me wonder how Wakefield Trinity can use this to their advantage. Wonder they get better crowds if they had better facilities? Is there more they can do in the community? There’s a large Polish population, have they interacted with them?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Salford were also a city without a pro football team till very recently.

Off subject well done on last nights performance Harry ,shame you lost very enjoyable match to watch as a neutral.

Bobby Ball needs replacing at 6 impressed with Thornley on that showing you have every chance of starting up.

Paul

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Salford were also a city without a pro football team till very recently.

If we say down to National League North/South (tier 6) is professional football, then all of the following English cities don't have a professional team:

Canterbury, Chichester, Durham, Ely, Lancaster, Lichfield, Ripon, Salisbury, Truro, Wakefield, Wells, Winchester & Worcester.

But I do agree that Wakefield should be able to take better advantage of not having competition from another sport/club in the city.

4 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

If we say down to National League North/South (tier 6) is professional football, then all of the following English cities don't have a professional team:

Canterbury, Chichester, Durham, Ely, Lancaster, Lichfield, Ripon, Salisbury, Truro, Wakefield, Wells, Winchester & Worcester.

But I do agree that Wakefield should be able to take better advantage of not having competition from another sport/club in the city.

Canterbury City were in the old Southern League and made the semi finals of the FA Vase 2 seasons ago.

Salisbury and Worcester were southern league teams for years.

Paul

3 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Canterbury City were in the old Southern League and made the semi finals of the FA Vase 2 seasons ago.

Salisbury and Worcester were southern league teams for years.

Paul

Similar to Emley/Wakefield-Emley/Wakefield FC in the Northern Premier before they folded I suppose.

8 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

just because you don't have football means people will rush to  RL and in wakey's case people living in wakey  also support FEV and the other lot

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

I believe Wakefield are the only city in England without a pro football club 

that's truebut they have a team called wakefield afc who play homes games at FEV who' says

Wakefield AFC was formed in 2019 by a consortium of businessmen including former Sheffield Wednesday & Manchester United Goalkeeper, Chris Turner.

Wakefield is the largest city in the UK without a professional football team and it is our mission to change that.

Our plan:
2024 – Bet Victor Northern PL D1
2026 – Bet Victor Northern PL PD
2028 – National League North
2030 – National League
2033 – League 2

19 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Wakefield is the LARGEST U.K. City without Professional Football League representation, not “the only”.

Quite.

I don't remember seeing St Asaph or St Davids on the pools coupon.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

If Wakefield, Featherstone and Castleford are at home on the same weekend (pre-covid), you are looking at 10-15,000 people attending RL in the city of Wakefield. Therein lies the problem if you are looking for a dominant one city club.

I'm not saying it should change but even in my family growing up loyalties were split across the 3 clubs. It was its strength when sport was built on local rivalries and local entertainment, it is a hindrance now if you want a super club in the city unfortunately.

37 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Off subject well done on last nights performance Harry ,shame you lost very enjoyable match to watch as a neutral.

Bobby Ball needs replacing at 6 impressed with Thornley on that showing you have every chance of starting up.

Paul

Still of topic.

Bobby Ball of 18 months ago would have been better than 'Wallace' of the 'Grommitt' association that was out there last evening, it's no wonder that TWP were not very good with him and McCrone in the same team.

2 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

I believe Wakefield are the only city in England without a pro football club which makes me wonder how Wakefield Trinity can use this to their advantage. Wonder they get better crowds if they had better facilities? Is there more they can do in the community? There’s a large Polish population, have they interacted with them?

Agree, they should get a new stadium. I mean... what’s stopping them?

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Some of those cities aren't much bigger than Cas.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

22 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Agree, they should get a new stadium. I mean... what’s stopping them?

For the last 40 years a mixture of financial mismanagement (compounded by the flawed stadium) and an unhelpful Local Authority - two things virtually every other RL club with a developed modern ground has had at least in some part.

Wakefield (and Cas tbf) have at least been able to hold onto some facilities. Both could have quite easily gone the way of Oldham or Swinton on the other side of the Pennines.

The problem with this stat is that it conflates the district (325k) with the city (100k) ... it really isn't big

Levelling up the city and 5 towns has been a millstone for the city since 1974

Added to that the rapidly expanding city of Leeds has sucked in all the govt admin jobs and buildings.  Wakefield was the county seat of the west riding now it's lost almost everything to Leeds 

Even the cathedral is now in the diocese of Leeds since 2014... no more bishop of Wakefield 

8 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

The problem with this stat is that it conflates the district (325k) with the city (100k) ... it really isn't big

Added to that the rapidly expanding city of Leeds has sucked in all the govt admin jobs and buildings.  Wakefield was the county seat of the west riding now it's lost almost everything to Leeds 

Even the cathedral is now in the diocese of Leeds since 2014... no more bishop of Wakefield 

This comes up a lot. The district being called the City of Wakefield causes confusion with the settlement (city) of Wakefield. The district of course has three pro-RL clubs before considering other sports. Same thing with Wigan district including Leigh.

Wakefield was a sensible place for the seat of the West Riding council because of its location, the West Riding stretching from Sedbergh to Sheffield. Splitting that area up for administrative purposes was always going to make Leeds more of a focus for a more limited West Yorkshire.

The Bishop of Wakefield still exists but is now a suffragan (assistant) to the Bishop of Leeds.

The fact that RL is so concentrated in specific areas has resulted in a number of medium sized towns (and cities) having a RL team instead of a (lower league) association football team - Wakefield, Castleford, Dewsbury, Batley, St Helens, Warrington, Widnes, Salford until recently. Even somewhere like Leeds might be expected to have two football teams, but has one football and one rugby club instead. Could these clubs make more of not having in town competition or should they just be grateful they don't have that competition?

7 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Indeed, the amalgamation of Wakefield into the conurbation of Leeds is an ongoing process that is basically inevitable. Culturally it has happened already across much of the City and 5 towns, as you say its happened formally with the church and one assumes that the "West Yorkshire Mayor" we are getting will be based in Leeds too. Wakefield is also well within the commuter belt of Leeds.

That said, Wakefield (both the city and the club) has to forge a new identity going forwards and take advantage of the fact that there are still plenty of people who's first love is RL in the city and wider region. Hopefully the new stand can be part of that in a longer term project.

3 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Ely and Wells are both tiny (and both fabulous places). 

Wakefield and it's surrounding areas is a hard market to crack for football clubs, most of them fall under the Leeds Utd or Huddersfield Town camps, having no substantial local club to follow, however, like Harrogate, Salford and other places seemingly immune to supporting their local teams, I'm sure the people of Wakefield would happily jump on a moneyed bandwagon should it happen?

5 hours ago, Scubby said:

If Wakefield, Featherstone and Castleford are at home on the same weekend (pre-covid), you are looking at 10-15,000 people attending RL in the city of Wakefield. Therein lies the problem if you are looking for a dominant one city club.

I'm not saying it should change but even in my family growing up loyalties were split across the 3 clubs. It was its strength when sport was built on local rivalries and local entertainment, it is a hindrance now if you want a super club in the city unfortunately.

They are three separate places. It is a Metropolitan area.

If any any of the clubs ceased to exist, the fans would not gravitate to one of the others.

Football fans in Wakey, Cas and Fev are generally Leeds United fans, Barnsley and Huddersfield. Football surrounds Wakefield and is the dominant sport in the country. Wakefield not having a football team means absolutely nothing. 

Yes, facilities are a major issue. Trinity are trying to interact though. The Wakefield Scrum Days in the city centre (cancelled for covid last year) and some of the recent foundation stuff - offering kids clubs and meals, online courses etc. 

6 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

I still have dreams of setting up Wells Angels RLFC to take advantage of the lack of pro football there...

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived