Herbie Farnworth right now

10 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

It doesn't make any of those individuals correct.

Well actually I know for a fact that in the case of a couple Wigan players it is exactly what people are saying.  Their kids are at school, their wife's have jobs and they are close to their families and friends. They simply don't want to go.  You obviously know best though and they have no ambition.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is the view of Sean O'Loughlin who could have easily gone to the NRL several times:

He has had several offers over the years, and he seriously considered a move to Sydney Roosters five years ago - only for his son George to help convince him to stay with his hometown club!

“I know some boys have the ambition to go and play in Australia but my ambition has always been to be successful here,” said O’Loughlin, who will wear a gold 13 on his shirt against Warrington tomorrow night.

“There’s been a few genuine offers over the years where I’ve had to sit down and discuss it with my family.

“Probably the nearest was in 2012.

“I spoke to the Roosters but, when I mentioned it to my boy, he said ‘no chance’.

“It was Waney’s first year and when I spoke to him about it he wasn’t too happy. You can’t be blinkered, you’ve always got to keep your eyes open, especially from the financial side of things. But for me we got to an agreement and I was glad to stay.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/oloughlin-no-regrets-about-rejecting-nrl-1101346

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

So this is the view of Sean O'Loughlin who could have easily gone to the NRL several times:

He has had several offers over the years, and he seriously considered a move to Sydney Roosters five years ago - only for his son George to help convince him to stay with his hometown club!

“I know some boys have the ambition to go and play in Australia but my ambition has always been to be successful here,” said O’Loughlin, who will wear a gold 13 on his shirt against Warrington tomorrow night.

“There’s been a few genuine offers over the years where I’ve had to sit down and discuss it with my family.

“Probably the nearest was in 2012.

“I spoke to the Roosters but, when I mentioned it to my boy, he said ‘no chance’.

“It was Waney’s first year and when I spoke to him about it he wasn’t too happy. You can’t be blinkered, you’ve always got to keep your eyes open, especially from the financial side of things. But for me we got to an agreement and I was glad to stay.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/oloughlin-no-regrets-about-rejecting-nrl-1101346

So even his kids lack ambition.

Typical.

6 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

What would you like the thread to be called? 

I'm not interested tbh.

What type of centres do you think would be best for England?

Gildart, Percival, Watkins, Newman, Farnworth and Wardle are more evasive/creative whereas Griffin, King and Thornley seem to have a bit more size and power

6 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I'm not interested tbh.

What type of centres do you think would be best for England?

Gildart, Percival, Watkins, Newman, Farnworth and Wardle are more evasive/creative whereas Griffin, King and Thornley seem to have a bit more size and power

If I categorised centres, rather than only listing individuals, I'm a fan of the size/power players for the internationals. There are just too many big lads playing for the other major teams.

21 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

If I categorised centres, rather than only listing individuals, I'm a fan of the size/power players for the internationals. There are just too many big lads playing for the other major teams.

Who would you pick in the centres for big WC games?

7 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

Josh Griffin and Herbie Farnworth. I know that you placed Farnworth in the evasive/creative category (and he is) but he's got decent size too.

Herbie is 6'3" and 16st 7lb. Quick as well. Bigger than Toby King and about the same as Josh Griffin. I think people underestimate how big Farnworth is. 

38 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

Josh Griffin and Herbie Farnworth. I know that you placed Farnworth in the evasive/creative category (and he is) but he's got decent size too.

I agree with you on Farnworth he's a big athletic player but can play a bit with ball in hand.

I rate Griffin but not sure if he'd offer enough against the bigger nations.

I'd love an inform Watkins but think that might not happen again.

On current form I'll say King and Farnworth

Just now, JM2010 said:

I agree with you on Farnworth he's a big athletic player but can play a bit with ball in hand.

I rate Griffin but not sure if he'd offer enough against the bigger nations.

I'd love an inform Watkins but think that might not happen again.

On current form I'll say King and Farnworth

King is a good player. If Watkins hit some of his best form, I'd select him 'in a heartbeat'. I too think it's unlikely that he will hit that kind of form though (or even close).

1 hour ago, burnleywelsh said:

Herbie is 6'3" and 16st 7lb. Quick as well. Bigger than Toby King and about the same as Josh Griffin. I think people underestimate how big Farnworth is. 

That is substantially more size than the likes of Gildart and Percival. He is 3 inches taller and 3 stones heavier than Gildart and 2 inches and over 2 stones heavier than Percival. That is a huge difference and size matters, particularly in international Rugby against the Southern hemisphere teams. Wane also like big, powerful players.

2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Like I posted before, Farnworth is a big lad. Bigger than King, hasn’t got the height of Thornley, but heavier. About the same as Griffin. But in my opinion has better footwork, hands and speed than the aforementioned.

He’s got some good stats so far in the 4 games he’s played this season. Of all the NRL centres he’s far and away number one in Total Run Metres, just outside the top ten in Tackle Busts. 163 Post Contact Metres and a Tackle Efficiency Rate of 90.9%.

Not too shabby for someone who a poster on here was not sure that he showed enough to be a starting NRL Centre. All this in a team that is struggling.

I think he’s showing up quite well in what, in my opinion, is a much more demanding environment than his potential competitors for the England Centre spot playing in Super League.

I’m still scouring his family tree for a Welsh Granny....😉

2 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

He's doing very well.  Hopefully his confidence doesn't get shot along with the rest of the Broncos, who look only slightly better than last season.

Tbh its a shame to see a weak Broncos. They are a team that as a relative Neutral I always want to see do well as they are probably the biggest team in terms of support in the NRL and its good for them to be strong for the game.

Farnworth looks like a definite for the WC squad and as a probable for the 17 as Centre is not a position England have a huge amount of World Class Talent at. Lets hope his good form continues in the NRL and that he can have a good World Cup too.

It’s good the lad has a fan club. Good luck to him, particularly given the way he has backed himself. Having seen all too often NRL “superstars” come up short when selected for England, I would be very reluctant to assume he was a world beater. Would he get into either SoO team? If not, and I don’t see anybody arguing that he would, then he’s not a world beater and won’t make that much difference to us either way. It’s when people start talking about eligibility - like they did for Sam Burgess - that we should sit up and take notice. 

Archived