New North American Competition?

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Call it the NARL. 

I'm hearing "RLA". Assuming "Rugby League America(s)" or "Rugby League of America.

I've been told it's "On paper, exactly what North America needs".

I'm not getting told much more though.

new rise.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, fighting irish said:

sn't this intriguing?

What on earth is happening?

I love the slow release of information, slowly building interest, arousing everyone's curiosity.

Irish it sounds like the first story we should be packaging and sending to the Times if they are looking for Rugby League stories.

If it works out and is worth telling could be an article with a headline ` N. A. Professional Rugby League Competition set for ... start. `

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Irish it sounds like the first story we should be packaging and sending to the Times if they are looking for Rugby League stories.

If it works out and is worth telling could be an article with a headline ` N. A. Professional Rugby League Competition set for ... start. `

If we have to tell The Times about it then the league is pretty much doomed, isn't it?

Assuming it's as per the rumours then getting the story covered properly is challenge number one for this league.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, Pulga said:

I'm hearing "RLA". Assuming "Rugby League America(s)" or "Rugby League of America.

Honestly, even if it was nothing more than a 3-4 team pro-comp it would do wonders for the North American game.

The fact we know of at least 7 teams involved and there are rumours of more (although those entities haven't indicated any involvement as of yet) is both exciting but also makes one very nervous.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

31 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Honestly, even if it was nothing more than a 3-4 team pro-comp it would do wonders for the North American game.

The fact we know of at least 7 teams involved and there are rumours of more (although those entities haven't indicated any involvement as of yet) is both exciting but also makes one very nervous.

Absolutely. Here's another team I've heard on the grapevine: a California club. 

Don't ask where I've heard it because I won't say. I don't even know how seriously to take it either.

new rise.jpg

29 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

According to Steve Mascord on Twitter, it won't be much more than a semi pro league 

That sounds absolutely the right way to do it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

According to Steve Mascord on Twitter, it won't be much more than a semi pro league 

And that would be absolutely fantastic in itself. Even just a semi-professional league with some of the teams mentioned is a huge step forward.

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It will be interesting to see what interes5 Toronto can generate without the kudos of traditional opponents and existing League structure.

I will travel down for a few games to give it a look see....I hope it all works out.

10 hours ago, Pulga said:

''Rugby League of America'' rolls off the tongue just like Marvel Comics (is it Marvel?) ''Justice League of America''.

Finally, we are on the verge of justice for our sport the world over.

Keep going fella's the future looks bright.

14 hours ago, Heritage XIII said:

Wasnt Super League back in the day launched on April 1? If so, could be a genuine announcement with a slap in someone's face?

Let's hope it's something worth counting down for!

Don't think April 1 is a good time to be launching a new NARL or RLA unless they are playing a joke (Super League). Once this league has actually started, crowds returned and growing, junior clubs established can we say that RL has made a 'real' step into North America.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

It will be interesting to see what interes5 Toronto can generate without the kudos of traditional opponents and existing League structure.

I'd say it'd be more interesting to see if there can be a "Toronto effect" on the other clubs - that being playing a club that has proven to attract large crowds and interest. Legitimises the others in that effect.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Just now, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I'd say it'd be more interesting to see if there can be a "Toronto effect" on the other clubs - that being playing a club that has proven to attract large crowds and interest. Legitimises the others in that effect.

Hope so! 

Without giving too much away, this will be a decently funded North American league with Rick Wilby leading the way. A lot of the USARL teams will move over and join some new teams. We were skeptical on the funding but the first payment landed last week and the league announcement should be this week.

Pretty exciting stuff to be honest with funding probably equivalent to the Championship in the UK. I think this season will be just about getting structures in place and playing some games as it will be difficult to attract many new players in a short space of time but next year it could really take off if the funding continues.

Not sure where this leaves the USARL though. I'd like to see it remain as an affiliated entry level league for new players but there is little chance of that happening and we have yet another US league split to deal with.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Without giving too much away, this will be a decently funded North American league with Rick Wilby leading the way. A lot of the USARL teams will move over and join some new teams. We were skeptical on the funding but the first payment landed last week and the league announcement should be this week.

Pretty exciting stuff to be honest with funding probably equivalent to the Championship in the UK. I think this season will be just about getting structures in place and playing some games as it will be difficult to attract many new players in a short space of time but next year it could really take off if the funding continues.

Not sure where this leaves the USARL though. I'd like to see it remain as an affiliated entry level league for new players but there is little chance of that happening and we have yet another US league split to deal with.

That sounds fantastic and a huge stride forward if so.

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I will be very impressed if the funding is as decent and sustainable as you seem to be saying 

3 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Can I just ask who is the we and are you involved with one of the clubs?

On 28/03/2021 at 00:09, Pulga said:

This is interesting that it's different from the CCCRL. 

I could see a North American competition, be it the CCCRL or this other one, overtake Super League within a short amount of time. 

I can’t see the better players going to ‘NARL’ as it’ll kill their career prospects. 

Perhaps ageing players may go for one last payday, much as NRL players go to England. That’s if they can get visas, of course. 

50 minutes ago, Damien said:

Can I just ask who is the we and are you involved with one of the clubs?

Yes, I'm involved with one of the clubs and 'we' is referring to those of us involved in that particular club. As I mentioned the funding is significant and the requirements around playing facilities and development officers etc are quite encouraging. I don't know where the funding is coming from exactly and the risk is that it could quite easily stop at some point but at the moment it is a positive step.

The question now is building up the teams as it will likely be primarily the same teams/players from USARL but with some money. The league is just around the corner so recruiting is difficult at short notice and it's near on impossible to bring imports over from Aus/NZ/UK for obvious reasons. Next season will be interesting if the funding remains in place. A fair chunk will be spent on travel though if it stays as one national conference which it will be this year.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 minute ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Yes, I'm involved with one of the clubs and 'we' is referring to those of us involved in that particular club. As I mentioned the funding is significant and the requirements around playing facilities and development officers etc are quite encouraging. I don't know where the funding is coming from exactly and the risk is that it could quite easily stop at some point but at the moment it is a positive step.

The question now is building up the teams as it will likely be primarily the same teams/players from USARL but with some money. The league is just around the corner so recruiting is difficult at short notice and it's near on impossible to bring imports over from Aus/NZ/UK for obvious reasons. Next season will be interesting if the funding remains in place. A fair chunk will be spent on travel though if it stays as one national conference which it will be this year.

Thanks for the reply. It all sounds very promising.

Archived