New North American Competition?

7 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Mascord just dropped this:

"EVERY club accepted into Rugby League America - to be launched tomorrow - had to guarantee their were valued at US$1 million and had turned over US$200,000 in each of the past two years."

Another comp plucked out of thin air... I love it

Next we need a Slavic Super League, Moscow, Krakow, Dubrovnik, Belgrade and Kiev

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

I don't understand how RL becoming huge in north America could ever be seen as a missed opportunity. It's surely the best case scenario. A sport can never hope to compete on the world stage with just 2 professional leagues. 

Yup, that was my point. It would be far better for RL than an NA team in SL. 

I feel like Mascord has picked those figures out of the air for his story.  Outside of the three pro-bids, I doubt the other clubs that are set to take part (Some of the teams are brand new like Washington DC) would have generated USD400K revenue in the past two years, especially with the impact of COVID.

A valuation of USD1m from a turnover of USD200K per annum is a very high multiplier as well.   Whilst Tech companies can command up to a multiplier of 6x for their revenue, sports is often half that (or less) simply because it is a far riskier space.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

3 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

I feel like Mascord has picked those figures out of the air for his story.  Outside of the three pro-bids, I doubt the other clubs that are set to take part (Some of the teams are brand new like Washington DC) would have generated USD400K revenue in the past two years, especially with the impact of COVID.

A valuation of USD1m from a turnover of USD200K per annum is a very high multiplier as well.   Whilst Tech companies can command up to a multiplier of 6x for their revenue, sports is often half that (or less) simply because it is a far riskier space.

I think you are correct on this.

His figures are either very inaccurate or the organisers have allowed teams to be incredibly "creative" in how they come up with the 200k. 

Cleveland for example, only started playing last year, so have clearly not turned over 200k for 2 years (or even 1 year, as I understand it).

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Our goal isn't to stop people playing union, it's to grow rugby league.

2 hours ago, RobertAM said:

and special event games..li

Before Toronto imploded and Covid Aussie Coach Mal Meninga was talking about stop-offs in Canada on the way to Europe. 

So I definitely think that with an established League in North America you could expect visits from the Australians.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

I'm not sure how that is even possible for any American club.

That's a straight up lie. No team in the US has turned over anywhere near that amount of money. Just about every team in the USARL is/was amateur with players chipping in subs and getting sponsorships from pubs etc.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

So in Mascord's piece, he has named the following clubs:

1. Ottawa Aces
  2. Atlanta Rhinos
  3. Boston 13s
  4. Brooklyn Kings
  5. Northern Virginia Eagles
  6. Washington DC
  7. Cleveland

Said it is an 8 team league, with Toronto potentially being the 8th team. 

One item, which I feel hasn't gotten enough discussion is the fact all teams must have 1x Development Officer on their books, with this person employed by June 5.  

For me that is almost as game changing as the competition itself.  Having 8 people in the US employed with the sole purpose of spreading Rugby League is huge, and as we've seen in other markets, DO's can do wonders no only taking the game to schools / community groups / etc, but also in helping establish clubs.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

54 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

So in Mascord's piece, he has named the following clubs:

1. Ottawa Aces
  2. Atlanta Rhinos
  3. Boston 13s
  4. Brooklyn Kings
  5. Northern Virginia Eagles
  6. Washington DC
  7. Cleveland

Said it is an 8 team league, with Toronto potentially being the 8th team. 

One item, which I feel hasn't gotten enough discussion is the fact all teams must have 1x Development Officer on their books, with this person employed by June 5.  

For me that is almost as game changing as the competition itself.  Having 8 people in the US employed with the sole purpose of spreading Rugby League is huge, and as we've seen in other markets, DO's can do wonders no only taking the game to schools / community groups / etc, but also in helping establish clubs.

Yep. Look at Jamaica. The only guy employed in the Americas in RL is Romeo Monteith. Look how far they've come. I actually think one of the most damning evidences of the IRL's incompetence is that they can see what a full-time employee can do in a nation like Jamaica but fail to even try to replicate it. 

new rise.jpg

7 hours ago, Pulga said:

Seems travel will be covered by the league. Makes the $300k much more valuable.

Do you/anyone know how long the investment is guaranteed for?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Do you/anyone know how long the investment is guaranteed for?

I don't sorry. I only know people who know people.

new rise.jpg

6 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

That's a straight up lie. No team in the US has turned over anywhere near that amount of money. Just about every team in the USARL is/was amateur with players chipping in subs and getting sponsorships from pubs etc.

Thats what I thought.

9 hours ago, Pulga said:

Seems travel will be covered by the league. Makes the $300k much more valuable.

So its:

Travel Paid

$300k a year

Development Officer.

Its starting to sound very much like a game changer to me.. (maybe not on some people's level but on the majority)

It may not be enough to get RU players switching over at a certain level but it may well get some very talented sportsmen to give it a go (some of whom just have no where to "ply their trade" with little amateur American football, not interested in RU etc) and you never know what you will unearth there

18 minutes ago, RP London said:

So its:

Travel Paid

$300k a year

Development Officer.

Its starting to sound very much like a game changer to me.. (maybe not on some people's level but on the majority)

It may not be enough to get RU players switching over at a certain level but it may well get some very talented sportsmen to give it a go (some of whom just have no where to "ply their trade" with little amateur American football, not interested in RU etc) and you never know what you will unearth there

It is a game changer, its absurd for anyone to say different. Championship level funding and another badly needed semi-professional league, particulalry in a major market, is a huge stride forward. Even if the playing standard only got to League 1 level in the next few years its a massive improvement on what exists now and if Canadian and American domestic players were playing at that level it can only greatly improve them internationally too.

12 hours ago, Pulga said:

Mascord just dropped this:

"EVERY club accepted into Rugby League America - to be launched tomorrow - had to guarantee their were valued at US$1 million and had turned over US$200,000 in each of the past two years."

How is that even possible

1 minute ago, Copa said:

If they get to even QLD Cup level of broadcast quality, it’d be a good filler for the 24 hour rugby league channel in Australia.

4 Cameras would do it. It's not that hard.

The good thing about Nth America is that it's in much better timezone for Aussie viewers than England.

new rise.jpg

12 minutes ago, Copa said:

If they get to even QLD Cup level of broadcast quality, it’d be a good filler for the 24 hour rugby league channel in Australia.

An OurLeague quality broadcast is apparently around £1,250 per game. I imagine, if anything, it would be cheaper in America. But that's doable (and is good enough for TV) if the level of investment and ambition matches what's being said in advance.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

An OurLeague quality broadcast is apparently around £1,250 per game. I imagine, if anything, it would be cheaper in America. But that's doable (and is good enough for TV) if the level of investment and ambition matches what's being said in advance.

Good point. Even presuming an 8 team league over 14 weeks, and showing 2 games a week, that is only £35,000. If the funding reports are accurate then that is peanuts and possibly can be recouped in England, Australia and through sponsors anyhow.

4 hours ago, RP London said:

So its:

Travel Paid

$300k a year

Development Officer.

Fairly certain we have to pay for travel and the DO out of the funding. Definitely the DO, that’s a stipulation of receiving the funding. Obviously, still very good though. Not heard that travel will be paid for separately but hopefully that is the case.

3736-mipm.gif

4 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Fairly certain we have to pay for travel and the DO out of the funding. Definitely the DO, that’s a stipulation of receiving the funding. Obviously, still very good though. Not heard that travel will be paid for separately but hopefully that is the case.

fingers crossed there is more to come. 

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

fingers crossed there is more to come. 

It’s a good start is the main thing.

3736-mipm.gif

Archived