New North American Competition?

3 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

That's the big question as it's not going to be easy pulling squads together at short notice, particularly in those new areas. DC and NOVA were kind of interchangable so theyll probably be the same players. 

Flying people in is also going to be difficult with COVID but it that relaxes I'd expect a lot of imports filling spots this year. I mentioned earlier, I think this year is a bit of a dry run anyway and it'll be bigger next year.

Three months to essentially build teams from scratch. As I said before, the standard doesn't need to be amazing but these games need to be competitive and they need to be exciting.

You can't deny their ambition. Now let's see what comes next.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Indirectly it is, as the RFL accepted Ottawa's application. They'll have to take some sort of view. 

It's not, a league in North America is nothing to do with the RFL. It is not in their remit to sanction it.

If they want to discuss Ottawa's entry into the English system that's fine, but quite different to what you said. As is I'm sure the RFL aren't too bothered if Ottawa join or not.

4 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

That's the big question as it's not going to be easy pulling squads together at short notice, particularly in those new areas. DC and NOVA were kind of interchangable so theyll probably be the same players. 

Flying people in is also going to be difficult with COVID but it that relaxes I'd expect a lot of imports filling spots this year. I mentioned earlier, I think this year is a bit of a dry run anyway and it'll be bigger next year.

I'm guessing that this competition will provide more of a test bed for the "you can turn college football / undrafted NFL players into RL players" theory. As much as Toronto pushed this idea, League One and The Championship were never going to be the right environment for that theory to be tested, especially when a fast promotion was so obviously the aim. 

A largely amateur / part time competition where the stakes are a bit lower? We might start to see the theory put to the test. 

Go Armadillos! Austin quite possibly the best city in the US.

And of course Brooklyn.. If only they could find a coach from Fev.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I am really pleased for the Toronto fans who have had to put up with an awful lot of ####. With the way they supported the Wolfpack and embraced the game they certainly didn't deserve what happened to them. It's great to have them back.

Interesting that they’re putting it behind a paywall in the first year - personally would have thought at least Y1 should be YouTube/Facebook live for visibility, especially as they seem to be playing at one venue per conference without fans. Feel like it will restrict viewership significantly.

2 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Interesting that they’re putting it behind a paywall in the first year - personally would have thought at least Y1 should be YouTube/Facebook live for visibility, especially as they seem to be playing at one venue per conference without fans. Feel like it will restrict viewership significantly.

I'll buy a sub in a heartbeat.but we'd better get Covid cleared up looks like a few road trips all over the continent for me in 2022..

This is very interesting on Toronto:

Your Toronto Wolfpack is back and under the guidance of a new private investor group who have purchased the intellectual property assets. There is no tie to the previous ownership and our owners are now simply “Team Wolfpack”.

We will focus on our fans, our team and the City of Toronto not the ownership team. As of today, our decision is to play rugby league in North America this will hopefully make all our future games more accessible and affordable to everybody who wants to be a part of our journey.

Our season together starts this year as we are proud to announce we have joined the new North American Rugby League “NARL”. Where we will be playing some amazing teams in some awesome cities across North America creating some great new rivalries.

NARL has the full support of the Canada Rugby League Association “CRLA”, chairman Bob Jowett had this to say “The formation of a North American professional Rugby League competition has long been discussed and is considered to be a key progression for the sport. For such a competition to grow and thrive it is essential that strong links are built with grassroots organizations developing community Rugby League. A condition for teams to join the NARL is for them to support grassroots development. This being the case, the NARL not only offers opportunities for players, player and coach development, and the Americas national teams (including the Canada Ravens and Canada Wolverines) it also promises to significantly help with growth of grassroots Rugby League. As a result, the CRLA is fully supportive of the NARL and looks forward to working with the organization to maximize grassroots development including non-traditional versions of the sport such as CANTAG (non-contact), Masters, Wheelchair, Physical Disability in addition to Women’s, Men’s and Junior Rugby League.”

PACK IS BACK - Toronto Wolfpack RLFC

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's not, a league in North America is nothing to do with the RFL. It is not in their remit to sanction it.

If they want to discuss Ottawa's entry into the English system that's fine, but quite different to what you said. As is I'm sure the RFL aren't too bothered if Ottawa join or not.

Well, I'm sure the trade press will be seeking their views on it, and Ottawa. It'll be interesting to read their response.

Can't see why they wouldn't be supportive, mind.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

NARL has the full support of the Canada Rugby League Association “CRLA”, chairman Bob Jowett had this to say “The formation of a North American professional Rugby League competition has long been discussed and is considered to be a key progression for the sport. For such a competition to grow and thrive it is essential that strong links are built with grassroots organizations developing community Rugby League. A condition for teams to join the NARL is for them to support grassroots development. This being the case, the NARL not only offers opportunities for players, player and coach development, and the Americas national teams (including the Canada Ravens and Canada Wolverines) it also promises to significantly help with growth of grassroots Rugby League. As a result, the CRLA is fully supportive of the NARL and looks forward to working with the organization to maximize grassroots development including non-traditional versions of the sport such as CANTAG (non-contact), Masters, Wheelchair, Physical Disability in addition to Women’s, Men’s and Junior Rugby League.”

Good for Bob. I remember being told player development didn't matter in Canada.:kolobok_laugh1:

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

This is very interesting on Toronto:

Your Toronto Wolfpack is back and under the guidance of a new private investor group who have purchased the intellectual property assets. There is no tie to the previous ownership and our owners are now simply “Team Wolfpack”.

We will focus on our fans, our team and the City of Toronto not the ownership team. As of today, our decision is to play rugby league in North America this will hopefully make all our future games more accessible and affordable to everybody who wants to be a part of our journey.

Our season together starts this year as we are proud to announce we have joined the new North American Rugby League “NARL”. Where we will be playing some amazing teams in some awesome cities across North America creating some great new rivalries.

I’m disappointed by the lack of grooming products 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Which of the announced teams don’t currently exist as active Rugby League sides? Just trying to get an impression of gown much is brand new and how much already exists.

I stand to be corrected, but...

I had never previously heard of any RL activity in:  Phoenix, Portland, San Diego.

Places where RL has had a presence, but it seems a new entity has now entered:  Washington, Austin, Las Vegas, San Fransicso.

In addition: Cleveland have played one match.  NYC and Ottawa Aces have played zero.

So that really only leaves FOUR established clubs:  Boston, Brooklyn, Atlanta, Wolfpack.

Some people will not like me pointing this out, but what can I say, it's fact.  Once again, I wish them every success!

18 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Even before Covid that was proving difficult for MLR teams brining players in. The standard to get a visa seems to be international caps or high-level pro experience.

1 minute ago, TheReaper said:

Even before Covid that was proving difficult for MLR teams brining players in. The standard to get a visa seems to be international caps or high-level pro experience.

How's about now changing your avatar to the Wolfpack rather than a RU one?

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

Have Ottawa and NY pulled out of wanting a team in the RFL system and joined NARL or will they do what Catalans and Toulouse do and run reserve teams in NARL?

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

How's about now changing your avatar to the Wolfpack rather than a RU one?

spacer.png

It's the academy logo, so I'll perhaps consider it when there is a TWP equivalent.

I'm not particularly a Wolfpack fan though, more of a fan of football (in the broadest sense) in general. Currently, of all of my football teams, only one of them is playing, so I'm rocking that. Come June, you may see a Tiger-Cats logo.

51 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I take it Ottawa Aces won't be joining the RFL set-up. https://www.ottawaaces.com/ottawa-aces-join-newly-founded-narl

I wonder what the RFL/Super League/IRL think about all this. It seems a kind of Kerry Packer unofficial breakaway thing.

The more pressing matter may be the apparent Licence they purchased from Hemel Stags so they could enter League 1.What happens to the Licence? As the RFL were to charge a large cost to Manchester Rangers to enter League 1, it may be worthwhile another club taking possession of the Licence.

Then again with Super League clubs not wanting League 1 clubs to have funding the numbers continue to diminish..

It's a well organised sport,always thinking ahead...to the next piece of wholly negative publicity.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

This is a great initiative. The competition looks to have a good cross regional mix and it looks like the right cities to be involved. 

I do think 14 teams might be a bit too much in terms of getting a good level of football. Great to see the Wolfpack return too

5 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The more pressing matter may be the apparent Licence they purchased from Hemel Stags so they could enter League 1.What happens to the Licence? As the RFL were to charge a large cost to Manchester Rangers to enter League 1, it may be worthwhile another club taking possession of the Licence.

Yes, great point.  Bristol All Golds?

7 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Does Austin have a sports team in any of the major American competitions, like the NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL?

Texas Longhorns (college football) host their fanatical support in a bijou little place in Austin that holds 100,000 fans.

Austin FC start in MLS this year, I think.

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

Go Armadillos! Austin quite possibly the best city in the US.

And of course Brooklyn.. If only they could find a coach from Fev.

Fev might be taking a year off too. Once the Covid police have finished with them.

Archived