New North American Competition?

3 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Hope this really comes off. The Wolfpack failed because of themselves and no one else, but this would be the best outcome of that debacle. A full NA league without the logistical issue of transatlantic travel and teams who are relatively much closer for the locals to genuinely create a rivalry with will help the game grow. 

I agree with the gist of your post but this just isn't true. You must have been living in a bubble the last 12 months and missed all the businesses going to the wall or missed the fact that many of the ones that do remain only do so due to Government support. Or indeed all the RL clubs that furloughed their players and have taken Government loans. Anyhow this is about the future, not what has happened in the past.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Not expecting a response from you Whippet13 but from others - I was interested where Curtis stated that the competition is not intended as a rival to the USARL.

If that gesture is genuine then how many teams are there left in the USARL that MAY be integrated into the NARL competition in future years.

15 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Not expecting a response from you Whippet13 but from others - I was interested where Curtis stated that the competition is not intended as a rival to the USARL.

If that gesture is genuine then how many teams are there left in the USARL that MAY be integrated into the NARL competition in future years.

So that, presumably, means that USARL are still the governing body, for what that's worth, of rugby league in the USA.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, Copa said:

I wonder if in 5 years SL clubs will wish the North American teams were in the tent rather than outside the tent pi$&ing in?

I think, either way, that's a very insular view.

Also, don't exaggerate what success looks like here. In five years, if there's a sustainable Championship-standard league developing in North America in front of average 2,000-3,000 crowds then that will be success.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Also, don't exaggerate what success looks like here. In five years, if there's a sustainable Championship-standard league developing in North America in front of average 2,000-3,000 crowds then that will be success.

Also if we were to get to the stage outlined then i think the game in England will be in a much stronger position too.

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It certainly would.

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I can't speak for all teams, but Atlanta has already stated publicly that they will still keep a team in the USARL.  The fact that the teams that are operating franchises in the NARL (White Plains, NOVA, Brooklyn, Boston, Atlanta) were all involved in the USARL AGM only last month, were involved in the draw discussions and were part of the EV2 apparel deal, makes one feel like they still intend to keep a presence in the League.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

26 minutes ago, RP London said:

Also if we were to get to the stage outlined then i think the game in England will be in a much stronger position too.

Indeed, many are seeing the success of any NA league as a slight against SL and that it's getting one over the clubs who voted against the reinstatement of TWP. Quite the contrary, this is true expansion of the sport, 100 time better then what we had if the above comes to fruition, and could truly open up the talent pool and opportunities for players across the RL world.

17 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Seems like the deadline has passed for it to be classed as an April Fool joke.

Great news on this venture and best of luck to everyone starting out on it.

Can’t really see this dividing opinion on here as surely ‘the more the merrier’!

Oh i'm sure the ugly green monster will rear its head, before the end.

It is great news though my friend, great news indeed.

21 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Go Armadillos! Austin quite possibly the best city in the US.

And of course Brooklyn.. If only they could find a coach from Fev.

I’m in Austin mate & buzzin about this.

21 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Texas Longhorns (college football) host their fanatical support in a bijou little place in Austin that holds 100,000 fans.

Austin FC start in MLS this year, I think.

21 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Does Austin have a sports team in any of the major American competitions, like the NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL?

UT Football is massive & had a stranglehold on sports in the city but......The area is growing rapidly & the culture changing as fast as the population rises, Austin FC soccer start this year & they had over 40k people wanting season tickets in a 20,500 brand new stadium, The Soccer scene is large, MLR RU is in its 3rd season I think, moved venues a few times & just kicked off the new season with a new name & in the Formula 1 facility that houses a Semi Pro soccer team, Their crowds have rose with the new owners advertising push & it’s growing....I’m a Barrow RL fan & never heard of any RL here??

There’s several RU clubs locally & college type RU teams but as far as I’m aware ZERO RL until now...

One thing I can tell you is that they mostly think Rugby is just Rugby & don’t know the difference codes until you point it out & the ones I’ve shown RL games to find it way more exciting & enjoyable to watch than RU.

Austin RL my fam will attend your games & I will bring friends. 

If you are a 24 year old playing in the Championship or NSW/Qld Cup and still struggling to force your way into a SL or NRL squad, you would sign for one of these clubs on a $30-$40k contract any day. For the experience of nothing else. There will be plenty of takers I reckon.

Top up the squads with a few locals and some gridiron players that didn’t make it, you have a very entertaining league.

16 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

If you are a 24 year old playing in the Championship or NSW/Qld Cup and still struggling to force your way into a SL or NRL squad, you would sign for one of these clubs on a $30-$40k contract any day. For the experience of nothing else. There will be plenty of takers I reckon.

Top up the squads with a few locals and some gridiron players that didn’t make it, you have a very entertaining league.

If those figures are USD then absolutely, if you have no significant ties like children you'd think players would jump at the chance.

58 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not seeing any coverage of this in mainstream national British media. ABC Grandstand were chatting about it before the Manly-Penrith game but nothing on the BBC. Disappointing.

Maybe they think if they run it today people will think it's an April Fool's?!

I think some media outlets will be waiting to see something a bit more tangible before they give it air time. Maybe in the form of warm-up matches, press conference, even training sessions.

Like I said earlier, 4 of the 14 clubs are actual established clubs. I don't blame them for holding their fire. 

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Those players are unlikely to get visas though.  From what I read a short time back about the hoops MLR is going through to get visas for players they want to bring over, only Internationals and other top-level pros qualify for visas.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

They'd only really need to get dummy halfs, half backs and full backs (spine) players.

Ex-college grid iron players could more easily fill the other positions.

They'll also attract some MLR players, who are disenchanted.

I remember an ex-college grid iron player coming to play for us and I asked him if he'd tried Rugby Union.

''Yes'' he said he had but ''there's too much chaos man.......'' Ha ha ha. 

Archived