New North American Competition?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I think, either way, that's a very insular view.

Also, don't exaggerate what success looks like here. In five years, if there's a sustainable Championship-standard league developing in North America in front of average 2,000-3,000 crowds then that will be success.

The Canadian crowds will eclipse that in year 1..Toronto 7000 average and Ottawa 6000 average is my bet

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Those players are unlikely to get visas though.  From what I read a short time back about the hoops MLR is going through to get visas for players they want to bring over, only Internationals and other top-level pros qualify for visas.

If that’s the case you may see some tier 2 Nation players from the World Cup head over and play in North American League.

56 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

The Canadian crowds will eclipse that in year 1..Toronto 7000 average and Ottawa 6000 average is my bet

Even against other North American teams? I’d love it if you’re right. 

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Not seeing any coverage of this in mainstream national British media. ABC Grandstand were chatting about it before the Manly-Penrith game but nothing on the BBC. Disappointing.

Maybe they think if they run it today people will think it's an April Fool's?!

There are only two off-the-beaten-track (vaguely) leagues that get any coverage over here. One is MLR which convinces the Guardian/Times/Telegraph every few months that it's actually in really good health and about to take over America because of all these kids who don't have a contact sport to play when they don't make the NFL. The other is NASL (specifically the New York Cosmos zombie club) about which the Guardian used to have an almighty fetish with regular claims it was about to tie up with/overtake MLS.

I reckon in the Guardian do one of their weekend reviews early next week it will feature then.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

Well, you've only got two games so I'd expect that at a minimum.

But, snark aside, my reason for saying 2-3,000 as a successful average is that there will be teams who end up not being competitive/don't pull the fans/have to move and a league-wide average like that allows for them whilst also expecting some teams to draw much higher gates.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think having an existing team with a serious following like Toronto Wolfpack in will add a lot of legitimacy to the league and help other teams in that respect. 

It would have been great to have multiple clubs at that sort of level (proven at least 6k crowds) as the core of this League. Ottawa plus a couple of others having had the opportunity to establish themselves as clubs in the English Leagues could have been good, but we are where we are!

4 hours ago, mickmike wilson said:

UT Football is massive & had a stranglehold on sports in the city but......The area is growing rapidly & the culture changing as fast as the population rises, Austin FC soccer start this year & they had over 40k people wanting season tickets in a 20,500 brand new stadium, The Soccer scene is large, MLR RU is in its 3rd season I think, moved venues a few times & just kicked off the new season with a new name & in the Formula 1 facility that houses a Semi Pro soccer team, Their crowds have rose with the new owners advertising push & it’s growing....I’m a Barrow RL fan & never heard of any RL here??

There’s several RU clubs locally & college type RU teams but as far as I’m aware ZERO RL until now...

One thing I can tell you is that they mostly think Rugby is just Rugby & don’t know the difference codes until you point it out & the ones I’ve shown RL games to find it way more exciting & enjoyable to watch than RU.

Austin RL my fam will attend your games & I will bring friends. 

I have a friend who lives in Austin too, who recently told me the city was attracting a lot of blue chip tech companies from California with the promise of some nice tax breaks. Tesla, Apple and Samsung i think were three of the big ones. Could be a good time for a new exciting sport to take root in the city and surrounding areas.

I recall going to a high school football game in Austin, probably 15 years back now, and the crowds, facilities and the whole event would have put some of the pro RL clubs of the time to shame.

Exciting times if the admin of the game can hold tight.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, thebrewxi said:

Actually £8.39/month once you try and subscribe. They are a bit Ryanair and hit you with tax on top, for some reason...

Pretty normal over here to quote prices excluding tax, primarily because state/provincial tax rates vary so much, not sure how that works for subscribers outside the US/Canada but here I would need to add in GST (general sales tax, Canada wide), plus local PST (provincial sales tax, applicable to BC residents).

18 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Pretty normal over here to quote prices excluding tax, primarily because state/provincial tax rates vary so much, not sure how that works for subscribers outside the US/Canada but here I would need to add in GST (general sales tax, Canada wide), plus local PST (provincial sales tax, applicable to BC residents).

I still reckon I'll sign up for a few months to see if I like it. I'll get this new US/Canada comp (which will be on at a nice time to watch hopefully), but also I assume I'll get a few Serbian/Balkan (or is it only Red Star) games. I always said that once you put a few things together in a package it seems like a much better product and deal to me. I'm struggling with the OurLeague product if they continue with their subscription price. But if they managed to roll it out with some French games with English commentary, or something else I'd probably bite their hand off. Think it's just the way my brain works. I'm so happy with WatchNRL I think because of all the extra games and chat programmes you get as extras (and the games are so good!)

3 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I still reckon I'll sign up for a few months to see if I like it. I'll get this new US/Canada comp (which will be on at a nice time to watch hopefully), but also I assume I'll get a few Serbian/Balkan (or is it only Red Star) games. I always said that once you put a few things together in a package it seems like a much better product and deal to me. I'm struggling with the OurLeague product if they continue with their subscription price. But if they managed to roll it out with some French games with English commentary, or something else I'd probably bite their hand off. Think it's just the way my brain works. I'm so happy with WatchNRL I think because of all the extra games and chat programmes you get as extras (and the games are so good!)

No you are not unusual, it’s why successful telecoms companies like to bundle things together, it appeals to our sense of feeling we are getting a deal.

27 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I have a friend who lives in Austin too, who recently told me the city was attracting a lot of blue chip tech companies from California with the promise of some nice tax breaks. Tesla, Apple and Samsung i think were three of the big ones. Could be a good time for a new exciting sport to take root in the city and surrounding areas.

I recall going to a high school football game in Austin, probably 15 years back now, and the crowds, facilities and the whole event would have put some of the pro RL clubs of the time to shame.

Exciting times if the admin of the game can hold tight.

Loads of companies and people are moving from California to Texas, particularly Austin, but Houston and Dallas etc too. It's a really interesting phenomenon which could have major repercussions for the future of both states.

Its exciting to see a Rugby League presence in Texas!

1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

It looks like year 1 will be played out of base stadiums where all teams from a conference gather to play on the same day without crowds due to Covid.

It will probably be like a taster for potential investors, TV networks etc.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I’ve decided to support Phoenix Venom, as I like Arizona. So far their/our Facebook page has 39 likes and one post. There’s very little on their website either. Hopefully it’s because all this has happened quickly, and decent social media stuff will follow soon. 

https://m.facebook.com/PhxVenomRugby/

https://venomrugby.com

Welcome to the Venom fan club.

I was expecting to support Ottawa Aces, but I was more than pleasantly surprised to have a team on my doorstep. I've already got a bunch of people wanting to come and watch a game with me 🙂

Just now, Arizonared said:

Welcome to the Venom fan club.

I was expecting to support Ottawa Aces, but I was more than pleasantly surprised to have a team on my doorstep. I've already got a bunch of people wanting to come and watch a game with me 🙂

Do you know anything about them, ie who’s behind the team, where they’ll play etc? Is there even any RL played in Phoenix currently? 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Do you know anything about them, ie who’s behind the team, where they’ll play etc? Is there even any RL played in Phoenix currently? 

I found out the same time as everyone, but I'm trying to find out all that I can.

There is quite a bit of Rugby Union played here, but zero league as far as I am aware. However, most people here don't care about the difference. If it is promoted as being exciting and representing the area, then it could get good crowds.

There is quite a large Tongan population here and at the last world cup, the Tongans that I know really got into it. That would be a group I try to target.

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

You don’t think the Toronto public will show up to games unless it’s against the big names they previously played against like Featherstone, Swinton or Dewsbury? 

Those games were against established English sides with professional or semi professional players - I doubt the fact that we know those places are small would matter to a Canadian, they probably wouldn’t have heard of Wigan, St Helens or Warrington either, or probably even Leeds or Hull in many cases. 

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

You don’t think the Toronto public will show up to games unless it’s against the big names they previously played against like Featherstone, Swinton or Dewsbury? 

I had the same question as Eddie, but not in the sense that the English teams you mention are drawcards, I am more concerned about staffing.  When Wolfpack was in SL, they had a full-time marketing team, if I am not mistaken.  They have all been made redundant.  Will they be getting much personnel back on board this year to promote one (home) game?  I highly doubt it.

But the fact the Canada national team has had big crowds at Lamport Stadium in the past, in matches against Jamaica and USA, does give me great hope that they will still pull big crowds.

Archived