New North American Competition?

4 minutes ago, frank said:

This comp needs to  be developed mainly by Canadians and Americans.  No need for them to hurry things along, nice and steady is the way. Finances need to be used sparingly to sustain this venture.

Exactly right. It's their competition.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, frank said:

This comp needs to  be developed mainly by Canadians and Americans.  No need for them to hurry things along, nice and steady is the way. Finances need to be used sparingly to sustain this venture.

The Nationality of the Players, Coaches, Owners or even Fans really isn’t important, I don’t know why some always see it as the number 1 issue. The only thing that matters is that the competition can get up and running and it is a success. For it to have a lasting future as a pro/semi pro league it’s going to have to get a tv/streaming broadcasting deal within a few years, the Nationality of players really doesn’t come into it.

40 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

the Nationality of players really doesn’t come into it.

Unless they want to be crippled by visa costs, it'd be quite handy to have a lot of Americans and Canadians though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, frank said:

Some really interesting views by Luc Lacoste in the "Interview with Luc Lacoste" thread on sustainable clubs. Lacoste listed 4 criteria the one that particularly caught my ear were his comments on finances.

In his view any club that spends 80% of their budget on player wages is flirting with being a short-term venture.. His recommendation was 60% on player wages with 40% spent on marketing, commercial development and administration. I thought it made a lot of sense.

I think I read somewhere that a player development officer was included with the central funding from the NARL, you`d think if that position was full-time it would represent roughly a $50 000 saving for the club. Without knowing the full circumstances of visas etc. you would think that the club could top this up with another ~20k and be able to attract a half decent player who could act as Captain/ Coach and player/community development officer. I`ve met several, very handy ex-NRL players who once past their playing age in the NRL have taken on development roles, Nathan Hindmarsh, Dean Widders spring to mind, both very personable and knowledgeable  which is probably a must in this sort of role.

The comments by Luc Lacoste were between the 18th minute through to about the 22 minute.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Some really interesting views by Luc Lacoste in the "Interview with Luc Lacoste" thread on sustainable clubs. Lacoste listed 4 criteria the one that particularly caught my ear were his comments on finances.

In his view any club that spends 80% of their budget on player wages is flirting with being a short-term venture.. His recommendation was 60% on player wages with 40% spent on marketing, commercial development and administration. I thought it made a lot of sense.

I think I read somewhere that a player development officer was included with the central funding from the NARL, you`d think if that position was full-time it would represent roughly a $50 000 saving for the club. Without knowing the full circumstances of visas etc. you would think that the club could top this up with another ~20k and be able to attract a half decent player who could act as Captain/ Coach and player/community development officer. I`ve met several, very handy ex-NRL players who once past their playing age in the NRL have taken on development roles, Nathan Hindmarsh, Dean Widders spring to mind, both very personable and knowledgeable  which is probably a must in this sort of role.

The comments by Luc Lacoste were between the 18th minute through to about the 22 minute.

Interesting indeed, do you have a link to that interview?

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Interesting indeed, do you have a link to that interview?

Yeah mate it`s on the the `Luc Lacoste Interview` thread just down the page.

12 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Has anyone heard where in Brooklyn they'll be playing? The Kings usually play at Bushwick Inlet Park, which is in a very hipsterish part of town but has no spectator facilities.

Aviator Field 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

8 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Unless they want to be crippled by visa costs, it'd be quite handy to have a lot of Americans and Canadians though.

5 imports per squad so majority will be North American 

3736-mipm.gif

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Aviator Field 

Cool name. Is that part of the Floyd Bennett field complex?

Stayed near Brighton Beach a few years back as we wanted to visit Coney Island so starting to think Brooklyn are my Eastern Conference team.

26 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Cool name. Is that part of the Floyd Bennett field complex?

Stayed near Brighton Beach a few years back as we wanted to visit Coney Island so starting to think Brooklyn are my Eastern Conference team.

Yes it is. It's a cool facility, it's just not very easy to get to or in a very central spot. Not many facilities that meet the standard in the city though so have to go a little way out. Shame as Brooklyn is the only New York City team (New York being based in White Plains upstate).

3736-mipm.gif

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Shame as Brooklyn is the only New York City team (New York being based in White Plains upstate).

Funny that I saw that as a positive. A new sport and team in a big city can struggle to be noticed. Hopefully, it will get more recognition at White Plains. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

4 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Funny that I saw that as a positive. A new sport and team in a big city can struggle to be noticed. Hopefully, it will get more recognition at White Plains. 

I was commenting more on the Brooklyn team field being a bit out of the way and not being able to pull in local people as easily. New York may get more traction in White Plains rather than being in Manhattan, again it depends how accessible the field is.

3736-mipm.gif

Just read Mascord's latest that is saying Brooklyn won't play USARL this year which I think everyone knew. The owner said he's keen for a "feeder league" below the NARL though. 

new rise.jpg

59 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Is this the one with a lot of dangerous-looking concrete?

Well it's an artificial pitch in the middle of a public park. There is a pedestrian path surrounding it, how dangerous that makes it I'm not sure. I stumbled upon the pitch, and the Kings, a few years back when I was walking past on my way to Smorgasburg (that's how hip I am...)

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I have read comments on this thread about the $300k per team and some posters have queried as to how can clubs be ‘professional’ based on this amount having to be spread between so many players etc.

But surely some of the clubs that have been around for some years must have brought in some income to make them sustainable.  So I assume that these clubs will already have sponsorship and no doubt the new entities will be reaching out to prospective sponsors so each team will have the $300k plus additional income.

Is it realistic to expect some clubs may have $400k for this first season?

3 hours ago, Gomersall said:

They're talking about MCU Park which would be pretty cool, right on the boardwalk. 

6f9da2_7f42df75db304a228f64243e5bdad521mv2-1024x768.jpg.bcc730842cc0b4f5568f800d71f06e8e.jpg

7,000 capacity in the stand that bends round then some extra standing around the pitch. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

25 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I have read comments on this thread about the $300k per team and some posters have queried as to how can clubs be ‘professional’ based on this amount having to be spread between so many players etc.

But surely some of the clubs that have been around for some years must have brought in some income to make them sustainable.  So I assume that these clubs will already have sponsorship and no doubt the new entities will be reaching out to prospective sponsors so each team will have the $300k plus additional income.

It's quite possible some will, but 2021 looks like a test year - I suspect 2022 with spectators, home ground games and all the associated commercial revenue and sponsorship is when budgets should increase.

29 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Indeed, even the most inert super league club has income from other sources than Sky. 

35 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

They're talking about MCU Park which would be pretty cool, right on the boardwalk. 

6f9da2_7f42df75db304a228f64243e5bdad521mv2-1024x768.jpg.bcc730842cc0b4f5568f800d71f06e8e.jpg

7,000 capacity in the stand that bends round then some extra standing around the pitch. 

The bigger news was the mention of them thinking about building their own ground.

new rise.jpg

On 07/04/2021 at 09:33, gingerjon said:

My work visas haven’t cost the company much at all.  Between £100-150 iirc.

Not being argumentative Ginge but these aren’t as difficult as people make out with the main issue being criminal record.

25 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Not being argumentative Ginge but these aren’t as difficult as people make out with the main issue being criminal record.

As you see can from this account of the challenges MLR has had with visas, It's the difficulty in getting visas approved by a civil servant in Iowa who knows nothing about the sport in question.  It's by no means an easy thing to do.

31 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

No offence to players but that rules out a few. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Archived