New North American Competition?

52 minutes ago, Pulga said:

The bigger news was the mention of them thinking about building their own ground.

Let's not get too carried away here. The only way I could ever see this happening is if it was a very small venue (ie a couple of thousand) in conjunction with a college/high school, and even that would be very difficult. Anything beyond that would be so problematic, not to mention expensive, as to make building a stadium in London look simple.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

They're talking about MCU Park which would be pretty cool, right on the boardwalk. 

6f9da2_7f42df75db304a228f64243e5bdad521mv2-1024x768.jpg.bcc730842cc0b4f5568f800d71f06e8e.jpg

7,000 capacity in the stand that bends round then some extra standing around the pitch. 

The issue there is that it's used by the New York MLR team. Having two codes of rugby playing there would be extremely problematic in terms of establishing the Kings and RL.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

RUNY isn't there this year, but neither will RL:

"

But Rugby United New York is facing major challenges. Due to the pandemic, they lost their home stadium, MCU Park in Coney Island where the Mets Minor League affiliate, the Brooklyn Cyclones play, and where the Mets will have an alternate site due to continued health protocols in Major League Baseball. 

Ric Salizzo, Rugby United’s Senior Consultant says, "Because of COVID, there's been some changes to the minor league schedule. So we normally would play our games at MCU Park, but it's no longer available for us." 

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/ny-rugby-team-starts-season-looking-for-new-home

11 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

The issue there is that it's used by the New York MLR team. Having two codes of rugby playing there would be extremely problematic in terms of establishing the Kings and RL.

I suspect the RU team won't be there for long. Everything I've read about them indicates they want to be closer to Manhattan.

Brooklyn Kings' idea of being a team for Brooklyn rather than the whole city strikes me as sensible, it's a big enough place already!

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

9 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I suspect the RU team won't be there for long. Everything I've read about them indicates they want to be closer to Manhattan.

Brooklyn Kings' idea of being a team for Brooklyn rather than the whole city strikes me as sensible, it's a big enough place already!

I can't wait for the kick off. Like my wife, often says, I've got a proper wriggle on. 

55 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

As you see can from this account of the challenges MLR has had with visas, It's the difficulty in getting visas approved by a civil servant in Iowa who knows nothing about the sport in question.  It's by no means an easy thing to do.

Didn’t say it would be, just commented on the costs.

Thanks for including Guardian sports writer drama link.

But, for those with a positive approach and I’m sure there will be challenges but if initial approaches are made now, with regard to attestations, qualifications (coaches/physios etc), timescales, strict non migrant protocols (what will not be allowed) then this can make the job easier.  A little proactively from a couple of people who are going to deal with the authority and become familiar.

2 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I have read comments on this thread about the $300k per team and some posters have queried as to how can clubs be ‘professional’ based on this amount having to be spread between so many players etc.

But surely some of the clubs that have been around for some years must have brought in some income to make them sustainable.  So I assume that these clubs will already have sponsorship and no doubt the new entities will be reaching out to prospective sponsors so each team will have the $300k plus additional income.

Is it realistic to expect some clubs may have $400k for this first season?

No. Those $500 pub sponsorships dont go very far mate.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Is Nick Youngquest still involved with the Brooklyn Kings?

No, he lives in Australia again now.

3736-mipm.gif

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

My work visas haven’t cost the company much at all.  Between £100-150 iirc.

Not being argumentative Ginge but these aren’t as difficult as people make out with the main issue being criminal record.

It's less the cost and more the approval and particularly the time involved this season. Not many visas being issued at the moment and those are taking a long time. 

3736-mipm.gif

19 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

But if you also approach the local butcher and local greengrocer then you will be in Marquee player territory!

Indeed, meat pies for meat pies bonus payments.

Next year would be the year that we can start to ramp sponsors up and maybe investors, something we've been looking at.

3736-mipm.gif

49 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

It's less the cost and more the approval and particularly the time involved this season. Not many visas being issued at the moment and those are taking a long time. 

Do they need Visas? Can't they just climb the wall?

It could be part of their pre-season training 😁

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Do they need Visas? Can't they just climb the wall?

It could be part of their pre-season training 😁

Its the biglyiest wall though, a very good wall, the best wall, that's what they tell me.

3736-mipm.gif

5 minutes ago, langpark said:

Maybe I am missing something here, but why not just get the overseas players in on tourist visas? Isn't it just a 3-month competition? Why complicate things? 

You can't work on a US tourist visa.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/temporary-employment/#:~:text=If you wish to work,work visas for casual employment.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The league have been very clear about the consequences of teams trying to get around this with cash payments or any other circumvention.

As you noted, it's basically illegal. Will be difficult to get people here this year if they dont have a passport/green card/visa already. Especially in the timeframe.

3736-mipm.gif

This year is the perfect year to develop, blood American and Canadian players, and grow. That will then give them a much stronger, more stable base going forward. The teams shouldn't really even be considering imports in my opinion, bar those who already have links there.

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

This year is the perfect year to develop, blood American and Canadian players, and grow. That will then give them a much stronger, more stable base going forward. The teams shouldn't really even be considering imports in my opinion, bar those who already have links there.

Don't need them. Ok the quality may not be the best but as long as the teams are fairly evenly matched what may appear to be amateur to RFL/SL/NRL fans should be entertaining enough to all but the most critical NA fan. Years 2021/22/23 should be spent on building a fan base/organizational structure and saleable product to sponsors and media. as long as the game day experiencing is good we'll be off to the races.

Some complain about over-the-hill Aussies coming to the UK, but this is an example where it could help. They'd be playing at a far less demanding level than SL, and their experience would be invaluable for a competition with many new players.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Reported in our Aussie press that Ben Barba could be a possible signing for New york rl.

Nobody with a history of getting into trouble has ever got into trouble in New York!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Omott91 said:

Reported in our Aussie press that Ben Barba could be a possible signing for New york rl.

Blimey. And after he was so close to signing for Valencia.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The more I look at the whole NARL venture the more I see it having two very distinct levels, in the short term at least. 

The East conference has many well-established clubs and they’re well-established due to history, identity and also having players and/or coaches with experience, whether that be in Australia, BZ, France, the UK or by playing internationally for the USA.

The west distinctly lacks any of that on the surface. The West will be crawling whilst the East conference pushes into a steady jog. Given time I’m sure both will be equal but I think there’s disparity for 2/3 years at least. 

Archived