New North American Competition?

44 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

The more I look at the whole NARL venture the more I see it having two very distinct levels, in the short term at least. 

The East conference has many well-established clubs and they’re well-established due to history, identity and also having players and/or coaches with experience, whether that be in Australia, BZ, France, the UK or by playing internationally for the USA.

The west distinctly lacks any of that on the surface. The West will be crawling whilst the East conference pushes into a steady jog. Given time I’m sure both will be equal but I think there’s disparity for 2/3 years at least. 

Canadian and East Coast sides the people behind them are already involved in the sport and they have some local players to draw from. Toronto Wolfpack is now owned by a Toronto sports consortium, Ottawa is run by Eric Perez, Brooklyn Kings have been playing in US Competition. Cleveland is run by Monte Gaddis who has experience playing rugby league in USA, UK & Serbia.

As for the West Coast Sides in the NARL... I get the feeling they could either be Union sides looking to paly both codes or could even be wishful thinking by the competition organizers. Would be more organic and sustainable if they contacted California RL and had 4 side in the NARL West Conference (L.A, San Fran, Sacramento) and Utah.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Canadian and East Coast sides the people behind them are already involved in the sport and they have some local players to draw from. Toronto Wolfpack is now owned by a Toronto sports consortium, Ottawa is run by Eric Perez, Brooklyn Kings have been playing in US Competition. Cleveland is run by Monte Gaddis who has experience playing rugby league in USA, UK & Serbia.

As for the West Coast Sides in the NARL... I get the feeling they could either be Union sides looking to paly both codes or could even be wishful thinking by the competition organizers. Would be more organic and sustainable if they contacted California RL and had 4 side in the NARL West Conference (L.A, San Fran, Sacramento) and Utah.

What about the news of 300+ juniors in Utah? That's come out of left field.

new rise.jpg

5 minutes ago, Pulga said:

What about the news of 300+ juniors in Utah? That's come out of left field.

Show me mate? Where? 

15 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Intersting. A few quotes from that article that don't add up:

"Nothing much has happened since Utah Avalanche folded"

Yet somehow...

"this year, Utah Rugby League has initiated a youth program that currently has about 350 youth members"

umm, what? They are still required to wear a mask everywhere in Utah at the moment, how did they manage to get 350 kids playing RL?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abc4.com/news/local-news/what-will-change-in-utah-when-the-mask-mandate-ends/amp/

Is this the same Richard Fale (Utah) who was looking at buying the NZ warriors some years back?

I think it might be.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, langpark said:

"this year, Utah Rugby League has initiated a youth program that currently has about 350 youth members"

umm, what? They are still required to wear a mask everywhere in Utah at the moment, how did they manage to get 350 kids playing RL?

I`m always keen to be optimistic about development stories, but if this were credible, wouldn`t we have heard or seen something of it before now?

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Intersting. A few quotes from that article that don't add up:

"Nothing much has happened since Utah Avalanche folded"

Yet somehow...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abc4.com/news/local-news/what-will-change-in-utah-when-the-mask-mandate-ends/amp/

Talks about "youth programme members" not players so this might just be signing kids for coaching sessions (possibly via schools or 3rd party engagement) when they can do sports later in the year. Even just this would be good progress though.

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Talks about "youth programme members" not players so this might just be signing kids for coaching sessions (possibly via schools or 3rd party engagement) when they can do sports later in the year. Even just this would be good progress though.

We also have to keep in mind that this is Utah we are talking about.

For obvious reasons a lot of Mormons from Aus, NZ, and particularly the PI's, migrate there. So keeping that in mind it's not beyond the realms of possibility that somebody could drum up a significant amount of interest in a RL program there.

In saying that the numbers probably are fudged, but they aren't impossible.

41 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

We also have to keep in mind that this is Utah we are talking about.

For obvious reasons a lot of Mormons from Aus, NZ, and particularly the PI's, migrate there. So keeping that in mind it's not beyond the realms of possibility that somebody could drum up a significant amount of interest in a RL program there.

In the aftermath of the 2017 WC, there were videos posted on social media of Tongan-American children in Utah performing the Sipi Tau.

There`s the familiar problem with it all being "Rugby" though. Will second-generation Islanders in the U.S. know or care enough about the difference between League and Union to pursue RL development, when RU is already long-established?

35 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

In the aftermath of the 2017 WC, there were videos posted on social media of Tongan-American children in Utah performing the Sipi Tau.

There`s the familiar problem with it all being "Rugby" though. Will second-generation Islanders in the U.S. know or care enough about the difference between League and Union to pursue RL development, when RU is already long-established?

They will when they see it being played! give the new NARL a couple of years and prepare to be surprised.

38 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

While, I live in Arizona (just South of Utah) we have a high population of Pacific Islanders that moved here because of The Church (I'm also a Mormon 🙂 )

Many of them do know the difference, there are also a lot that don't. Either way, they support the Tongan National team in big numbers.

I was surprised a few years ago when a group of Tongans were playing basketball at my Church building and they asked were I was from. I told them England and they asked me about Rugby. One of the group enthusiastically told me that his favorite Rugby player was Fui Fui Moi Moi.

6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I`m always keen to be optimistic about development stories, but if this were credible, wouldn`t we have heard or seen something of it before now?

Indeed, a photo at the very least.  Even of FIVE kids playing, never mind 350!!

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNd8Ps3Ahjh/?igshid=136p46oz3p93

New York has rebranded.

I am whelmed.

Assuming I'm looking in the right place, it's still the "old" brand on Twitter.

Mind you, it does look like a copy of the Mets' colours and skyline graphics so probably would be a good idea to change.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, Arizonared said:

While, I live in Arizona (just South of Utah) we have a high population of Pacific Islanders that moved here because of The Church (I'm also a Mormon 🙂 )

Many of them do know the difference, there are also a lot that don't. Either way, they support the Tongan National team in big numbers.

I was surprised a few years ago when a group of Tongans were playing basketball at my Church building and they asked were I was from. I told them England and they asked me about Rugby. One of the group enthusiastically told me that his favorite Rugby player was Fui Fui Moi Moi.

As I put about 20 pages ago , I'd expect many teams to have sizeable numbers of Pacific Islanders , many of those would I suppose be in the western states 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

As I put about 20 pages ago , I'd expect many teams to have sizeable numbers of Pacific Islanders , many of those would I suppose be in the western states 

I just hope there's no syphoning of precious funds to MLR clubs in NARL clothing.

Just now, Omott91 said:

I don't mind it. Unique that that they don't have a mascot or nickname using just ''Rugby League''. 

Cleveland also is just Cleveland RLFC. I think it's missing a trick with their marketing.

new rise.jpg

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think its much better than the old one but could be made far better again with a little more clarity, things like the stars are barely noticeable. 

What stars? :kolobok_biggrin:

Genuinely can't see them! 

NYRL rebrand is a disaster. Can't see the stars. Writing is tiny. N is huge, Y looks cramped.

They switched back on social media which is strange.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

Archived