New North American Competition?

6 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Some of the comments on this topic are laughable, and sadly very revealing. When Big Picture says there are 8000 college athletes a year being turned out and only a handful of NFL contracts available, it means that there's a huge pool of potential high quality athletes that might be interested in an NARL opportunity. That's a big pool and several orders of magnitude bigger than the number of RL players, of high quality that we produce.

Just because they are not household names or current NFL superstars, the knockers want to denigrate them. (Envy man, its everywhere!)

Then the idea, that Perez is a bullshitter, (risible), he's done more, against an incredible inertial mass and envious fearful Super League, to raise the profile of Rugby League here (yes here) and in North America than anyone else has achieved in the same time (Let's not even mention the new ''millionaire at our expense'' Robert Elstone).

What the doom-mongers who forecast the impossibility of ''breaking through'' in North America are really confessing, is their own lack of confidence (shame on you all) not in the Yanks ability to get it done, but their lack of confidence in the game itself.

They see rugby league, as cheap fare, only mildly interesting to elderly Northern folk, who are dying off rapidly and in truth, totally unpalatable, to young, new world people of both sexes. (Shame on you).

Well I'm firmly in the other camp. I believe (really believe) that Rugby League is the greatest game of all, so when I discover that someone like Eric Perez, is backing the game with everything he's got, I'm willing him to succeed and I'm not surprised he's having a go. It makes sense to me and I'm confident that providing our people (god help us) don't put insurmountable barriers in his way (instead of cheering him on) he/they will be successful.

I want to say, that the glaring, livid, putrid green, envious comments of the knockers is loathsome and they should stop pretending, to have the games best interests at heart.

Its plain to see, that you don't.

Good leveller, Toronto. Sorts out the wise from the fools. The dreamers from the pragmatic.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Good leveller, Toronto. Sorts out the wise from the fools. The dreamers from the pragmatic.

WTF are you on about?

By the way, aren't you a Wimbledon fan who just wants the Bronco's money to prop up their sagging P&L account?

You are one of the pretenders I'm on about.

I've stated this on other threads in the past. I've been watching the game since 1985 as a kid. There were 5 countries in a world cup and occasionally a Welsh team. We now have multi nation World Cups, with Qualifiers, and also a team in Canada to name just a couple of things. For anyone not wanting our game to succeed in any country must question why the watch the game and why they don't want it to be successful. 

To me there's no reasoning behind it and one of many reasons why our game struggles. Constant negativity. I realise some on here may be trying to wind people up. Well don't. It doesn't help anyone let alone TGG.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I'd say Perez has made fools of a lot of people who probably said what he did couldn't be done.

5 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

WTF are you on about?

I think what we appear to have in NARL is USA RL with a bit of money. A modest, semi-pro comp. I think that’s great, but it’ll need time and patience to take root. 

I wish it well but I’m certainly not expecting NARL to challenge Super League as the biggest rugby league comp in the Northern Hemisphere within “seven to 10 years”, as the Perez BS suggests.

My issue is with Perez and his useful idiot followers like Steve Mascord (and you) is they talk down the British game and say the likes of Ottawa and Toronto are its 'saviour' to stop it 'dying'. The British game doesn't need Ottawa and Toronto. The likes of Perez want Ottawa and Toronto in the British game for their own benefit.  

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I think what we appear to have in NARL is USA RL with a bit of money. A modest, semi-pro comp. I think that’s great, but it’ll need time and patience to take root. 

I wish it well but I’m certainly not expecting NARL to challenge Super League as the biggest rugby league comp in the Northern Hemisphere within “seven to 10 years”, as the Perez BS suggests.

My issue is with Perez and his useful idiot followers like Steve Mascord (and you) is they talk down the British game and say the likes of Ottawa and Toronto are its 'saviour' to stop it 'dying'. The British game doesn't need Ottawa and Toronto. The likes of Perez want Ottawa and Toronto in the British game for their own benefit.  

That last paragraph is utter bol locks. 

20 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

You've got some nerve, given your behaviour on the Broncos thread

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

5 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

You've got some nerve, given your behaviour on the Broncos thread

That's very different because the Dons Trust are going to be involved with a steering group.

Do keep up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

No need to get abusive. 

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That's very different because the Dons Trust are going to be involved with a steering group.

Do keep up.

I keep forgetting. Too busy imagining the 3,000 AFCW fans that will be cheering the Broncos to victory every week.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

30 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

I've stated this on other threads in the past. I've been watching the game since 1985 as a kid. There were 5 countries in a world cup and occasionally a Welsh team.

This is worth repeating. There were literally five countries. Five. That's not "five and then lots of tier two countries at various levels and with some heritage connections". It was just the same five it had been for decades.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This is worth repeating. There were literally five countries. Five. That's not "five and then lots of tier two countries at various levels and with some heritage connections". It was just the same five it had been for decades.

Yes well said, Ging'.

We also had a similar group of knockers who had nothing but contempt for the inclusion of a Welsh team.

The games best interests at heart? Don't make me laugh. 

22 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

I keep forgetting. Too busy imagining the 3,000 AFCW fans that will be cheering the Broncos to victory every week.

I doubt Plough Lane will be big enough for the Broncos once Wimbledon fans are on board, they’ll have to move to Twickenham. 

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

It’s the truth, Ruth.

Feel sorry for you, chief. I know what it’s like to have a club taken away from me.

Hopefully Wolfpack MkII will last longer than a Double Whopper with Cheese. 👍

That is not a fact Jack.

Its tough losing a club no doubt but the Wolfpack might just still have some life left in them....

And as for the Whopper...I did not even know they had Burger King in England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.  And the Wolfpack crowd figures WERE accurate...so there....

Just now, Kayakman said:

That is not a fact Jack.

Its tough losing a club no doubt but the Wolfpack might just still have some life left in them....

And as for the Whopper...I did not even know they had Burger King in England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.  And the Wolfpack crowd figures WERE accurate...so there....

If SL hadn’t rejected the Wolfpack for not being situated next to the M62 it’s reasonable to assume the NARL never would have happened. Ellstone is a visionary. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If SL hadn’t rejected the Wolfpack for not being situated next to the M62 it’s reasonable to assume the NARL never would have happened. Ellstone is a visionary. 

No doubt about it...that Elstone had the depth and clarity of a large mud puddle...NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Hi old friend. 

I honestly hope they get resurected and soon, I will personally arrange for a fund to pay for Blake Wallace's air fare to send him back to the Wolfpack, he never impressed me and I never rated him above mediocre previously now that I am observing and watching him much closer he has not disappointed, by far the worst player my club has had and we have had some bad ones!

4 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Axemen throwing the gauntlet down 👇🤔

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=937174827023747

That video does certainly outline why Jacksonville appear the most staggering omission from the established USARL teams. Spinner Howland has stated on another forum that the Axemen were not contacted by the NARL and had no idea it was in the works due to NDAs involved with the three teams that were approached, said this was the same for all other USARL clubs and the governing body.

I can't for the life of me see why you would disregard what little 'established' foundations there are in the country in favour of half a comp of start-up teams. I couldn't say for sure but given that video has been put out I Imagine Jacksonville would've been all over an opportunity like this if given the chance.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi old friend. 

I honestly hope they get resurected and soon, I will personally arrange for a fund to pay for Blake Wallace's air fare to send him back to the Wolfpack, he never impressed me and I never rated him above mediocre previously now that I am observing and watching him much closer he has not disappointed, by far the worst player my club has had and we have had some bad ones!

we'll hold you to that..and good luck in the Championship in 2022...

54 minutes ago, UTK said:

That video does certainly outline why Jacksonville appear the most staggering omission from the established USARL teams. Spinner Howland has stated on another forum that the Axemen were not contacted by the NARL and had no idea it was in the works due to NDAs involved with the three teams that were approached, said this was the same for all other USARL clubs and the governing body.

I can't for the life of me see why you would disregard what little 'established' foundations there are in the country in favour of half a comp of start-up teams. I couldn't say for sure but given that video has been put out I Imagine Jacksonville would've been all over an opportunity like this if given the chance.

Yes very very strange. I don't know too much about the politics in USRL but did meet Spinner many years ago when playing his Boston team and he is a really decent guy who has poured many years into USRL. Really strange that he or the Axemen are not involved and weren't even invited 

I wonder if some of the existing teams not being part of NARL is down to the ownership model. I have seen it written that NARL owns at least 30% of every team, which presumably is what they get in exchange for the funding. This obviously gives them a large element of control going forward with how they want teams and the league to progress. I don't blame them for that, if I was ploughing money in I would want something similar. Presumably the clubs that have signed up are happy with that as they wouldn't have signed up too. It may though leave some existing clubs on the periphery, either because they don't want to give up that control or because it is easier for NARL o just do their own thing.

I will throw by 2 bobs worth in here:)

Firstly Toronto Wolfpack, my wife having dealt with them (She ordered a brand new LED system last year costing her business £ 250K that ended up in a container at Southampton docks for months on end firstly due to the pandemic then due to the fact that sadly the TR are no more) During this period she found the management of TR completely straightforward and honest and I know for a fact that David Argyle liquidity problem came like a bolt out of the blue and that he has been desperate to make amends by paying everyone even though legally he does not have to.

It would have been a great investment if TR would have completed the SL season with ALL their matches on SKY paid for by the club.

I really do hope that the proposed NARL will happen and GOOD LUCK to all involved.

As for the LED system TR loss will be French RL gain as she will have it shipped over there for next season hopefully without a massive import duty (Thank you for those that voted leave:(

Paul

4 hours ago, RobertAM said:

we'll hold you to that..and good luck in the Championship in 2022...

Hi Robert,

It is not a casual analysis from me of Mr Wallace's attributes, I have earned this expierience of 60 years comprising playing, coaching and then spectating in this sport. 

As for the last bit of your post, I never wanted Leigh to be nominated as your clubs replacement this season, avoiding the drop will prove to be just as hard for Leigh as it would for Toronto, and I think we will surpass your 0 - 6 return easily.

Archived