New North American Competition?

14 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Thanks Gomersall.  Enjoyed listening to the conversation.  It is refreshing, or quite frankly startling, that a GM (or CEO) can speak articulately and outline their vision for their club in such an open manner.  The processes outlined seemed measured and achievable but only time will tell if the world can return to some normality to enable the club to move forward.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Thanks Gomersall.  Enjoyed listening to the conversation.  It is refreshing, or quite frankly startling, that a GM (or CEO) can speak articulately and outline their vision for their club in such an open manner.  The processes outlined seemed measured and achievable but only time will tell if the world can return to some normality to enable the club to move forward.

I thought it was impressive, not least outlining the vision whilst acknowledging the uncertainties of the present situation. I was particularly taken with the plan to run two teams, one in the RFL, the other in the NARL. This was presented as a definite, not a possibility, with the NARL team being the feeder, at least for the foreseeable future.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I do like the hypocrisy of this coming from the the USARL, which in itself was a breakaway league from the AMNRL.

EDITED COMMENT

It would nice if, for once, we could go for a while *somewhere* without splitting into factions.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

Why does only being a month old warrant criticism but not excitement for some?

NARL and CCCRL are two almost opposite business models. Back one of them and get on board. Show us your cards. 

I have a feeling most will just watch and claim they knew which one would succeed or fail.

I hope the both succeed. But why do I need to bet on one like it is a horse race? Like I say, both only appeared a month ago, so it is not like there is a clear "leader" at this point. 

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I thought the AMNRL was set up in opposition to a pre-existing league.

EDIT

Probably my error on that though. I'm looking into it now.

The AMNRL was the recognised body for over a decade. Teams split away from the AMNRL to form the USARL.

Just now, Damien said:

The AMNRL was the recognised body for over a decade. Teams split away from the AMNRL to form the USARL.

Yes. Have amended my comment.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, langpark said:

Not to be picky or anything, but why was this posted at 6am Eastern (3am Pacific) time??

Is there any chance USARL is yet another Australia-based organisation?

Their registered address is in New York. Maybe they just get up early.

It looks like it's a bit of an olive branch from the USARL.  They state that the NARL's efforts are admirable and encouraged, and that they hope they can work together in the future, whilst also exerting a bit of power.  

There are no threats or attacks to either the NARL or to any players who maybe thinking of taking part in the competition.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

On 13/04/2021 at 21:33, Eddie said:

Looks like there are try outs in Vegas next month, they’ll award 140 contracts for the Western Conference teams (Max $20, not bad for such a short season) and players will get accommodation in Vegas for the duration of the season. Surely that has got to be attractive to a lot of lads in their early and mid-20s, regardless of if they’ve played before or not. 
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=125766122921073&id=100514275446258

Edit - and here’s a promo video https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=125085066322512&id=100514275446258

Absolutely - I almost certainly wouldn't have been good enough as a player, but definitely would've rocked up for the tryouts if I lived on the West Cost in my 20s before family/job etc. Accommodation paid for plus a bonus $5k-10k (even more if you're one of the top players) for a season that looks like May through til August/September sounds like a great summer. Even if you didn't make much money, would still be an awesome experience.

On 14/04/2021 at 03:22, Harry Stottle said:

I am not saying they will not be very good athletically as individuals, I was commenting on the description that was awarded of "Top American Athletes" which suggests they will be household names.

You were nitpicking and missing the point completely. Would you have been more satisfied if I had said 'high quality athletes' or 'outstanding athletes'? The point is blokes like this are top level in terms of their raw athletic ability, not in their standing in a sport.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

7 hours ago, frank said:

Perez could be right. SL is not in a healthy state and who knows what   it will be like  down the track. If it remains like it is all the clubs will still be struggling . Leeds, St Helens and not sure about Wigan will still be taking all the S/W.

If this NARL takes off ,it could attract some of the best talent and the above comp which is on it's knees will really suffer.

Oh goody , that'll help the ' game ' 🙄

46 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

aka Horseforce :kolobok_biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

USARL statement

Money talks I suppose. If the NARL are offering money and pro deals players will go there and the USARL will have to accept them. Both comps could exist together, USARL could become a feeder comp if the NARL took off

5 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

It looks like it's a bit of an olive branch from the USARL.  They state that the NARL's efforts are admirable and encouraged, and that they hope they can work together in the future, whilst also exerting a bit of power.  

There are no threats or attacks to either the NARL or to any players who maybe thinking of taking part in the competition.

I read it like that too. Their nose is a little out of joint at not being consulted but they probably recognise this as the biggest opportunity the sport in the country is likely to get. I think they're being fairly magnanimous in registering their disappointment whilst sending out the message that they're willing to work with them. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Archived