New North American Competition?

9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Coaching will be key...as will reffing...everybody forgets about the refs until they want to complain about them.....they need certified refs with some experience....will be somewhat difficult but can be overcome.

This would be why it would be good to be partnered with the sanctioning body. They'll have trained referees to hand.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Good coaching will have a huge impact. Can they get good coaches? Can they afford them?

They’re going to struggle if the rest of the teams are planning on doing the same as Cleveland, who have announced Monte Gaddis as GM, Head Coach, and a player. This isn’t meant as a slight to Monte in the slightest, he’s done some incredible work and it’s down to him that the Cleveland team have got off the ground, but is he a good enough HC to take a group of inexperienced/new players and have the end product be professional? I don’t think so personally. 

20 minutes ago, Sammo said:

They’re going to struggle if the rest of the teams are planning on doing the same as Cleveland, who have announced Monte Gaddis as GM, Head Coach, and a player. This isn’t meant as a slight to Monte in the slightest, he’s done some incredible work and it’s down to him that the Cleveland team have got off the ground, but is he a good enough HC to take a group of inexperienced/new players and have the end product be professional? I don’t think so personally. 

I've no idea, if he's a capable coach. Time will tell. I can't wait to see some early games. 

24 minutes ago, Sammo said:

If he’s 5% as good a coach as he is enthusiastic he’ll be decent. However agreed I was surprised he wasn’t interested in getting someone more experienced in as HC. 

Just now, Eddie said:

If he’s 5% as good a coach as he is enthusiastic he’ll be decent. However agreed I was surprised he wasn’t interested in getting someone more experienced in as HC. 

it might be down to the money. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The DoR is going to be based in the UK as well, apart from during the school holidays...

https://everythingrugbyleague.com/morrison-says-recruitment-is-his-number-one-priority-at-cleveland/

Feeling less and less professional to me as time goes on

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Year 1 is mainly about getting things up and running via a very steep learning curve.

I suspect 2022 is when we will see more experienced RL players and coaches in key roles across the comp.

2 minutes ago, Sammo said:

The DoR is going to be based in the UK as well, apart from during the school holidays...

https://everythingrugbyleague.com/morrison-says-recruitment-is-his-number-one-priority-at-cleveland/

They’re not claiming to be professional tbf, it’s a part time comp being played over a couple of months. 

8 minutes ago, Sammo said:

What did you really expect for the modest sum of 300,000 US$ per club though?  Miracles?

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They’re not claiming to be professional tbf, it’s a part time comp being played over a couple of months. 

I mean, each of the West Conference team websites describes the team as ‘pro’ or ‘professional’, so they kind of are

EDIT:

And the NARL Facebook about section says ‘A new professional league based in North America. Launched in March 2021’

3 minutes ago, Sammo said:

I mean, each of the West Conference team websites describes the team as ‘pro’ or ‘professional’, so they kind of are

EDIT:

And the NARL Facebook about section says ‘A new professional league based in North America. Launched in March 2021’

Fair enough, but they don’t mean fully professional, if you know what I mean, just like League One isn’t professional. 

16 minutes ago, Sammo said:

EDIT:

as with everything in America, the "show" is important.. therefore saying you are professional is important, that does not mean that you are. This is going to be going on over a very short time frame therefore they can pay "good money" for a few months work, but its not going to be a yearly wage amount. 

Looking at the posts from the start on here i think we all realise that.. If people are coming from the outside thinking "wow this is a pro RL league in the states?!?!?" then this is working and we want people to be thinking that. 

If they were to come out and say.. well its a bit of a kick about in the park isnt it.. then it'll never work. 

In the UK we are sceptical of people "bigging things up" like this but in america its part of the culture really.. 

14 minutes ago, RP London said:

as with everything in America, the "show" is important.. therefore saying you are professional is important, that does not mean that you are. This is going to be going on over a very short time frame therefore they can pay "good money" for a few months work, but its not going to be a yearly wage amount. 

Looking at the posts from the start on here i think we all realise that.. If people are coming from the outside thinking "wow this is a pro RL league in the states?!?!?" then this is working and we want people to be thinking that. 

If they were to come out and say.. well its a bit of a kick about in the park isnt it.. then it'll never work. 

In the UK we are sceptical of people "bigging things up" like this but in america its part of the culture really.. 

That is all well and good, but if people think ‘wow it’s pro’ then watch a game and it’s park standard then they aren’t going to engage with it. It’s fine that we on here know that it’s all just hype, but we aren’t who this league has to attract, which is someone who hasn’t necessarily engaged with the sport before.

(Union comparison alert)

I've seen people complain about MLR not being professional enough because of standard of commentary, or poor camera work, and the amount of resources they are working with is vastly higher spread over fewer teams. It just feels like NARL is raising expectations too high for what is going to be a very rough and ready product. But I guess we’ll find out soon.

28 minutes ago, RP London said:

The trouble is that to "big things up" there first has to be something sufficiently big behind it and in this instance there really isn't; what's behind it is very modest even compared to minor pro leagues.  That might be one of the reasons why (as far as I can tell) their launch went completely unnoticed by the US media.

Wow, what an amazing  contrast with the TWP threads when all the focus was why isn't there a league of their own?

I think everyone on the forum should change their avatar to Mary, Mary.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Wow, what an amazing  contrast with the TWP threads when all the focus was why isn't there a league of their own?

I think everyone on the forum should change their avatar to Mary, Mary.

An idea can be good in theory but executed poorly!

2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Cake & eat it forum.

That doesn’t mean anything, but I’ll show you what I mean.

One reason why I think that NARL is a good idea done badly is that they’ve started with too many teams. What is the point of 6 brand new teams  all playing and training in Vegas? There is no local community involvement at all, no chance to generate hype or fans, or engage local talent that can’t get to Vegas, or do any grassroots work. Even if you want to start them, do it next year when they can play in the city they’re representing. I wouldn’t bother - start with the one conference, with double the budget. Then you have something that will be able to attract a good standard of player and coach, create a Wolfpack-like event around each game, and will be able to generate hype at a local level.

So, league - good idea. Execution - not so good

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

Cake & eat it and the right to moan. Got it!

So I don’t have the right to be critical? The mystery figure behind NARL is all-knowing and decisions shouldn’t be questioned or debated? Ok.

20 minutes ago, Sammo said:

So I don’t have the right to be critical? The mystery figure behind NARL is all-knowing and decisions shouldn’t be questioned or debated? Ok.

Ignoring the mystery figure distraction, of course you have the right to debate and criticise and others have the right to find it amusing and silly. Carry on.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived