New North American Competition?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Listened to that podcast, good to hear more about the 6 West Coast sides, so there going to centrally funded and based in Las Vegas for 1st year, then looking to get investors to buy into them in the second year. Setting up and funding 6 clubs from Scratch an then looking to sell these franchises to people in the Various cities they are names after. Good Luck to them but in my opinion it would just be simpler to work with newly established California Rugby League to run West Coast sides? 

What stood out to me are their contradictory aims of being able to offer players decent part time money while wanting to stick to the RU off-season.  How they expect to generate the revenue necessary for the former with such a short little season is difficult to see.

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

What stood out to me are their contradictory aims of being able to offer players decent part time money while wanting to stick to the RU off-season.  How they expect to generate the revenue necessary for the former with such a short little season is difficult to see.

These clubs are not RaRa clubs in sheep's clothing are they

Trying to usurp the RL seed money to subsidise RaRa during their off season? 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

With the loss of £15 million a year in Sky tv funding I can see some fringe Super League players and top Championship players heading over to the new North American League.

If you were a young lad with little holding you here then I see no reason not to go for it.

39 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If you were a young lad with little holding you here then I see no reason not to go for it.

I can see it possibly becoming like playing in Elite 1 or Queensland/ NSW cup. Then hopefully the NARL and Canadian championship should benefit the US and Canadian national teams 

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

With the loss of £15 million a year in Sky tv funding I can see some fringe Super League players and top Championship players heading over to the new North American League.

Not likely, they won't qualify for visas.  It's been documented that MLR's had a lot of trouble getting visas for RU players they wanted to bring over unless they're International players or other top pros.

12 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

how about the Las Vegas Strippers?....

On a serious note I just don't like it because it's so cliché,  and the logo looks poor also.

They could have used many different names like Las Vegas Big Horns which is a sheep that roams the Nevada desert (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_bighorn_sheep) or the Las Vegas Red Tails (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-tailed_hawk)

BNdQa3lu.jpg

new rise.jpg

38 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Not likely, they won't qualify for visas.  It's been documented that MLR's had a lot of trouble getting visas for RU players they wanted to bring over unless they're International players or other top pros.

Maybe see a few more declaring themselves for Ireland, Scotland and Wales then...

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

47 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

There are plenty of players who fit that bill and will be representing Wales, Ireland, Scotland, France, Jamaica, Greece etc in the World Cup. 

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

I can see it possibly becoming like playing in Elite 1 or Queensland/ NSW cup. Then hopefully the NARL and Canadian championship should benefit the US and Canadian national teams 

Indeed, and hopefully will see some more Yanks and Canucks making it into the established leagues too.

22 hours ago, Izmir Zaferi said:

The Las Vegas Black Jacks is also the name of the former Las Vegas nation Rugby Union championship team. 

It does have history although I dislike the logo.

I was encouraged by the podcast, the guy running the West Coast is a Rugby League guy with business 
background. He did say that they plan on adding a team in Los Angeles and somewhere else next year as well. I imagine they may well be hoping that the CRL guys get involved but if they are planning on 'selling' the teams then I sort of get them staying away from the present guys as well till they have something to offer for sale. 

It was interesting the passing 'the USARL WAS..." rather than "is' the governing body of the Rugby League in the USA. It seems evident to me that part of the USARL is actually breaking away due to a perception that the game must go pro or lose entirely out to the union Major League Rugby (I have specifically heard that sentiment from the Atlanta guys who were affected by the emergence of MLR in their city) 

I also got a lot out of the podcast. I also picked up on the "WAS" in relation to the USARL.

I was encouraged by his background and enthusiasm.

He also said that the West would add two expansion teams. Named LA and Colorado. 

He also said one game a round would be broadcast on social media / YouTube. Also said there would be an announcement about TV soon.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

On 01/05/2021 at 07:25, DlEHARD said:

I also got a lot out of the podcast. I also picked up on the "WAS" in relation to the USARL.

I was encouraged by his background and enthusiasm.

He also said that the West would add two expansion teams. Named LA and Colorado. 

He also said one game a round would be broadcast on social media / YouTube. Also said there would be an announcement about TV soon.

I seem to be a bit ''backward'' in finding all these newsfeeds/podcasts about the NARL.

Will you please keep posting here with (links) any news about these developments. I'd be very grateful.

I'm really excited about this growth spurt in the America's.

I feel the American public will take to the game quickly and with a great deal of enthusiasm once it hits the mainstream media.

Coverage of (Aussie) NRL will/would do wonders to promote the game over there.

What a great boost it would be, to have competitive Canadian, USA, Jamaican and Brazilian teams in the next World Cup. 

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

What a great boost it would be, to have competitive Canadian, USA, Jamaican and Brazilian teams in the next World Cup. 

I can clearly see the Canadian national team improving off the back of the NARL.

With the USA team it is an unknown as the USARL controls the national side and we don't yet know how their relationship is going to work out. If the NARL sticks around I imagine they will want to be the recognised IRL body at some point as that adds credibility to their organisation and will help attract players, sponsors etc, but it won't get to that for a couple of years. In the meantime it is in the interests of the USARL to work with the NARL and create a SL/RFL relationship (I mean the good parts).

As for the podcast, it was a good listen. I really liked that they plan to have a moving magic-style roadshow event each round in the West Conference during 2022. This sounds like a perfect excuse for me to visit the US next year and take in a couple of rounds.

Also interesting this is an hour long interview on a Rugby Union podcast where the presenter was very enthusiastic about both codes and happily discussed league for 99% of the show. It demonstrated the seeming lack of (widespread) animosity in North America which exists elsewhere between League and Union, hopefully that will make the growth of League in NA easier than it has been elsewhere.

6 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I seem to be a big ''backward'' in finding all these newsfeeds/podcasts about the NARL.

Will you please keep posting here with (links) any news about these developments. I'd be very grateful.

You got it. I'll post whatever I find. I'm finding it very interesting. I really hope the venture is successful.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

4 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

With the USA team it is an unknown as the USARL controls the national side and we don't yet know how their relationship is going to work out. If the NARL sticks around I imagine they will want to be the recognised IRL body at some point as that adds credibility to their organisation and will help attract players, sponsors etc, but it won't get to that for a couple of years. In the meantime it is in the interests of the USARL to work with the NARL and create a SL/RFL relationship (I mean the good parts).

I don't think they'll be looking to become a national governing body as it's covering more than one nation (USA and Canada, with other potential areas in the future). I seem to recall Canada RL are supportive of the NARL, And USARL have released a statement saying they wish to work with them but nothing set out yet.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 30/04/2021 at 21:22, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Maybe see a few more declaring themselves for Ireland, Scotland and Wales then...

Would be super ironic if NARL was able to recruit a much better standard of player than MLR.

Because international RL is comparatively so much weaker and less lucrative!

13 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

It's enough to make you smash your foot! 

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

What an interesting podcast.

This fella, Rob Curtis, is very credible.

He's oozing cool professionalism.

I can't wait for this thing to roll out. 

Archived