New North American Competition?

58 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Chris Sandow looking to sign to a NARL team apparently.

Hope he's fit. There's a player with the potential to entertain. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Hope he's fit. There's a player with the potential to entertain. 

Why not 

It's easy to become washed up at 30

Butvtyerecis no reason why a player can't motivate himself until he is 38

I Acceot all the training is difficult 

On 01/04/2021 at 13:21, EastLondonMike said:

I have a friend who lives in Austin too, who recently told me the city was attracting a lot of blue chip tech companies from California with the promise of some nice tax breaks. Tesla, Apple and Samsung i think were three of the big ones. Could be a good time for a new exciting sport to take root in the city and surrounding areas.

I recall going to a high school football game in Austin, probably 15 years back now, and the crowds, facilities and the whole event would have put some of the pro RL clubs of the time to shame.

Exciting times if the admin of the game can hold tight.

Correct, Austin is a very fast growing city & Texas has different employment laws & they attract all the top chip tech companies & now rivals Silicon Valley for Technology infrastructure, Mainly young families moving here & the Austin Metro area’s population is around 2.2Million & is expected to be around 5Mill within 20yrs.

Friday Night Lights...Was based on High School Football in Central Texas & all schools around here host 5/7k for these Kids games & double that for Playoffs.

Football-Guns & God are the 3 Religions here so there is literally thousands of very very good athletes who get by passed by the college leagues & they just stop playing as there’s very little rec leagues to carry on playing in......Rugby could be huge here.

Americans in general have zero problem trying something new as it’s ever evolving around here & always developing & they tend to have a can do attitude to life rather than a glass half full.

The Austin Armadillos RL are super quiet to non existent on SM & im hoping it’s because they are too busy recruiting players & staff.

On 01/04/2021 at 15:10, langpark said:

Did anyone see this video from the head of NARL?

https://twitter.com/NARugbyLeague/status/1377684975567405061?s=20https://twitter.com/NARugbyLeague/status/1377684975567405061?s=20

Interesting quote at 0:34 of the video:

"We are pleased to announce that it will be made up of 14 top-tier teams from the US and Canada, each of these teams have a long history of sustained excellence in their former amateur leagues"

Can anybody enlighten me about the Las Vegas Blackjacks' "long history of sustained excellence" in rugby league??

Apologies if this has been answered previously but it’s typical N American salesmanship, Focus entirely at the positive’s & big up everything 

20 minutes ago, mickmike wilson said:

Apologies if this has been answered previously but it’s typical N American salesmanship, Focus entirely at the positive’s & big up everything 

A proper traditional RL press release would be worded something more like:

None of these clubs exist, and if they actually do, they're probably up to something or other that is really really dodgy. Anyway, the quality of Rugby will be ###### and every single one of them will go bust within six months.

Everybody in the USA hates Rugby League, and nobody in the USA has heard of Rugby League. The money involved in setting up what is indubitably a criminal money-laundering operation should have been spent on clubs in the heartlands of England. Specifically my club. But only the men's teams.

I hate everything, but especially Rugby League, because it's our sport and you ain't from round here, are you?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

A proper traditional RL press release would be worded something more like:

None of these clubs exist, and if they actually do, they're probably up to something or other that is really really dodgy. Anyway, the quality of Rugby will be ###### and every single one of them will go bust within six months.

Everybody in the USA hates Rugby League, and nobody in the USA has heard of Rugby League. The money involved in setting up what is indubitably a criminal money-laundering operation should have been spent on clubs in the heartlands of England. Specifically my club. But only the men's teams.

I hate everything, but especially Rugby League, because it's our sport and you ain't from round here, are you?

Don't give up your day job 

On 02/04/2021 at 13:35, DC77 said:

It’s an equivalent of white flight. The right wingers are all bunkering down to Texas (where my brother lives).

The big issue with America is how volatile it will become as statues of slave owners come tumbling down, said tyrants get removed from currency etc. The storming of the Capitol (built by slaves) in January was just a flavour of what is to come. By 2040 non whites will be the majority (before the 1965 immigration act which ended their racist immigration policy it was 90% white, and since then the conservative white nationalist movement has grown, an acceleration we are witnessing now). The white narrative has dominated proceedings for centuries, but that’s changing, and America will change into something unrecognisable, and tens of millions will not like it one little bit.

Mount Rushmore (carved by a KKK member) has two slave owners (jefferson and washington, both of whom owned overs 600 black people (deemed ‘property’ in the constitution), while the former labelled the Natives subhuman in the ‘declaration’ and was the pioneer of scientific racism), another one (T.roosevelt) justified the ethnic cleansing of the Natives by stating “I don’t subscribe to the view that all good Indians are dead, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I won’t enquire on the health of the tenth”, and the last one, lincoln, stated “I am not, nor ever have been in favour of making voters or jurors of (*term for black people), nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people” (black people did not have the vote until 1867 (they weren’t citizens either as like everything else that too was restricted to white people), and the ban on interracial marriage ended a century later). This statue perfectly represents the DNA of the place.

A proposal five years ago to put Harriet Tubman (black slave) on the $20 dollar bill instead of Andrew Jackson was dismissed by Trump and co...catering to his base of tens of millions, before Biden started up the process again. It’s still a farce as one side of the note would be a slave, and the other (Jackson) another slave owning tyrant (who as president also pioneered the trail of tears on the Natives). This move (attempting to appease both sides) is akin to putting a tiny plaster on a dam that’s about to burst. 

A US author James Whitman (he wrote a book on the US race laws influence on the Nuremberg laws of Nazi Germany) stated the difference been America and Germany is Germany has completely dealt with its past (which was a twenty year period of its history) America has never done that, hence the enormous discrepancy in tolerance between the two today.

I’ve lived in Texas for 18yrs & it’s been growing quickly for around 30/40 & if anything it’s speeding up & it’s more financial & weather than anything political.

Homes in Cali were several times more expensive than Texas & the Californians I meet say this & advantageous Taxes,  the lack natural disasters such as the annual wild fires, Santa Anna winds & mud slides etc made it an easy choice.

The Southern States also benefit by Snow Birds relocating to warmer climbs 

14 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

I'm interested to know when the games are being played. Initially it looked like all the east games would be played on sat and west om sunday. On chashing kangaroos the chap that is heading up the narl was suggesting games would all be on a Saturday and would be timed to run one after the other to try and get the maximum global coverage; one advantage of playing in two time zones 3 hours apart.

Whatever they end up doing, spinds like a nice little evening and night slot at the weekend, about the only one currently where theres no league to watch. It would be good if their website clarified the fixture schedule and timings soon though.

The east games are magic weekend style at one location on a Saturday with games back to back from 2:30 est. West games are all being played in Vegas so I assume same format but not sure on the day. Obviously they are 3hrs behind so if they play Saturdays there will be some overlap but you’d have back to back games for about 8 hours 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

Exactly Where Is All The Money Coming From For All These Somewhat High-Profile Signings.  I mean, just look at this guys career teams.......  Maybe his best years are behind him, I don't know, but he was NRL standard only 3 years ago.    WOWZIE.....

3 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Seriously hope I wrong about this competition but I’m starting to fear it’s all a bit like the guy who “funded” the Denver test and wanted the World Cup in the USA.

Why?

15 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Where’s all the money coming from?

Who’s funding all the travel? accommodation? Stadia? Wages etc?

Have you spent some time looking into the answer to those questions?

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Have you spent some time looking into the answer to those questions?

Not as much as I’d like too other than the odd podcast and news articles but can’t quite nail down who’s funding this whole project.

Feel free to educate me marra.

32 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Not as much as I’d like too other than the odd podcast and news articles but can’t quite nail down who’s funding this whole project.

Feel free to educate me marra.

Not my place to, I dont see how you can come to that conclusion with no information.

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

Not my place to, I dont see how you can come to that conclusion with no information.

So you can’t tell me who’s funding this endeavour as well.

It must all be a very special close guarded secret I guess.

Anyway go the Austin armadillos 👏👏👍👍

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I've never looked, and I've also not made a comment on it to say I was worried about it. If I wondered about it I would try and find some information before jumping to completely uneducated conclusions in case I end up looking ridiculous....

4 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Listen to the chasing kangaroos podcast from a couple of weeks ago. 

53 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Where’s all the money coming from?

Who’s funding all the travel? accommodation? Stadia? Wages etc?

The investors behind the comp, who wish to remain anonymous for their own reasons - which is fine with me as it's their money.

The NARL has a rapidly growing stakeholder group involved in it and from what's been said elsewhere they are actually paying clubs, suppliers and employees the money they have been promised so far - in full and on time. There has not been a single criticism or rumour of trouble so far over there.

I look at how they handled the Tony Williams situation as an example of how serious they are, came down on that immediately and decisively to keep the comp squeaky clean - it set an example to certain other established pro-RL competitions as well.

Ok, it may fail down the line, but it might just be a great success as well.

All been positive so far - relax, sit back and enjoy the ride.

On 11/05/2021 at 13:13, dkw said:

I've never looked, and I've also not made a comment on it to say I was worried about it. If I wondered about it I would try and find some information before jumping to completely uneducated conclusions in case I end up looking ridiculous....

My goodness, have I upset you in the past marra?

Why so pis#y

Ive read and heard so much about “big things” coming out of North America in the past from the Toronto Wolfpack, David Niu professional USA league, Denver test and the  USA hosting the RLWC etc to make me somewhat sceptical of this latest North American venture.

Archived