New North American Competition?

7 hours ago, The Rocket said:

It seems it`s the administrative side of things that often hold these new ventures back, think WolfPack. There`s plenty of people who just want to play the game and perhaps crossing T`s and dotting I`s and jumping through administrative and bureaucratic loopholes isn`t their strong point.. It`s such a shame that the IRL, NRL or whoever can`t come on board with these things, even in  strictly advisory capacity to help get them started, you`d have to think that some sort of advisory body could be a sound investment in helping get these League off the ground.

The head guy, rob curtis, interviewed on chasing roos was saying how great he and the team were and how much sport and event setup experience they had. He said he'd set up possibly the biggest grass roots/participation football club in the world with the New York Red Bulls.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

It is a big admin mess up, however let's be honest, there was always going to be something that went wrong in year one.

A brand new league, featuring a conference with six new teams with minimal to no existing RL infrastructure, with minimal staff setting everything up (and most based on the East Coast), honestly unless you have amazing processes in place, something is always bound to go wrong.

They'll learn from this and hopefully the Western Conference will be back, though that said if we were offered an 8 team Eastern US / Canada semi-pro competition back earlier in the year, most of us would have happily taken that.

From the outside looking in, errors you'd expect and accept are teams not making it to either the start or finish line. Foreign players withdrawing and/or just dialing it in. Low standards of play. Games short of numbers and/or with swapped players. Refs making comedy decisions. That sort of thing.

Still from the outside looking in. If a well-resourced for the long-term league - which is what we're led to believe, and genuinely all hope, this is - can't fund the required insurance and so loses an entire conference before a match has been played, then I think that's a fairly massive red flag. I say this whilst watching multiple US sports leagues at pretty low levels finding ways of playing during the pandemic.

Obviously, the 8-team Eastern US/Canada semi-pro league is a definite positive. Hopefully this genuinely is just a glitch and things move forward after this season as planned.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

From the outside looking in, errors you'd expect and accept are teams not making it to either the start or finish line. Foreign players withdrawing and/or just dialing it in. Low standards of play. Games short of numbers and/or with swapped players. Refs making comedy decisions. That sort of thing.

Still from the outside looking in. If a well-resourced for the long-term league - which is what we're led to believe, and genuinely all hope, this is - can't fund the required insurance and so loses an entire conference before a match has been played, then I think that's a fairly massive red flag. I say this whilst watching multiple US sports leagues at pretty low levels finding ways of playing during the pandemic.

Obviously, the 8-team Eastern US/Canada semi-pro league is a definite positive. Hopefully this genuinely is just a glitch and things move forward after this season as planned.

Insurance in the US is a bit of a cluster-f at the moment. Whilst I can't speak directly to the type of insurance that the NARL would have been applying for, there has definitely been changes around standard health and home insurance offerings from many providers, with costs going up and large groups of individuals currently no longer eligible.

From previously being involved in various emerging and established Leagues, I have experienced the frustration of not being able to get the levels of coverage you want or need, as such, I can believe that this may not be a cost issue at all.

What is a bit strange however is that the Eastern Conference appears to be unaffected by the insurance issues. You would think that either that policy could be extended or if they are getting around that by doing team or player level policies, that same approach could be extended.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

15 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

What is a bit strange however is that the Eastern Conference appears to be unaffected by the insurance issues. You would think that either that policy could be extended or if they are getting around that by doing team or player level policies, that same approach could be extended.

Difference is that the Western players would be in a large continuous contact group at the same location for several months, that's different to the East where it is contact at team level, apart from on match days.

I can see the insurance broker thinking: Lets see, 260+ young men, all together in Vegas, for several months, during a pandemic.....hmmm.....what possibly could go wrong here?

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do you know what’s happened and why, or are you just speculating and enjoying the failure? 

Neither, I'm just someone who has travelled to the US for sports before. The last thing you want to happen is breaking your leg or something and end up on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars of medical care. Which means the first thing you do, before you register for events or book your flights, is figure out insurance.

And that's just to look after yourself. When you're the organizer of an event, and there for responsible (and liable) for much more, the importance only goes up. 

2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

I can see the insurance broker thinking: Lets see, 260+ young men, all together in Vegas, for several months, during a pandemic.....hmmm.....what possibly could go wrong here?

260+ ?? Over 43 players per team? For a six-match competition!? Really?

8 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

The head guy, rob curtis, interviewed on chasing roos was saying how great he and the team were and how much sport and event setup experience they had. He said he'd set up possibly the biggest grass roots/participation football club in the world with the New York Red Bulls.

Not trying to diminish what he achieved with the Red Bulls, but setting up a grass-roots soccer network probably in a country that was starved for an alternative to gridiron, with a game with a high international profile, a large Latino population and less likelihood of injury possibly made that job a lot easier, we all know of the expression `soccer mums` they win elections ! They also often decide what sport their kids play.

But that wasn`t what I was referring to in my original post any way, I was more referring to all the administrative things that go with setting up a business or in this case a sporting organisation, payroll, government regulations, leases, etc etc. You often hear in the movies the star says " I just wanna play football " this is exactly how these blokes probably feel, all that other stuff often requires a completely different type of person, a type that is however essential and often hard to find, especially unpaid.

Not the NARL, but it looks like there is going to be a San Diego RL team after all this year:

https://www.giantsrl.com/article/7663/lifelong-giants-fan-grows-rugby-league-in-california

The Barracudas! Sadly no news on whether they will be calling their home ground Arena 84.

California RL do seen to be pushing on over there.

Far too many pages for me to understand the current landscape.

Can anyone answer to bring me up to speed? 

1. when is season due to start?

2. how many clubs are looking likely to make that starting line?

3. How long is the planned season?

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

Far too many pages for me to understand the current landscape.

Can anyone answer to bring me up to speed? 

1. when is season due to start?

2. how many clubs are looking likely to make that starting line?

3. How long is the planned season?

www.google.co.uk

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

www.google.co.uk

Thanks for that insight. What I did prior to my post was google NARL and all that came up was NRL activity.

I then googled North American Rugby League. The only insight that search gave me was that the western division is delayed until 2022. 

Sorry to have asked such an exhausting set of questions that were not answered by my prior google searches.

44 minutes ago, langpark said:

Cleveland form partnership with Penrith Panthers. Sounds great, but does anyone know what it actually entails, other than random shout outs from Panthers players? 

Nothing physical, but its going to get some Penrith fans following Celeveland on the socials and maybe a few will buy sportflicks subscriptions. In return, Panthers look like they are helping grow the game, which is good for their image. Easy media win for each club that costs absolutely nothing, well done to them both.

7 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Sorry to have asked such an exhausting set of questions that were not answered by my prior google searches.

I accept your sincere apology.

https://www.narugbyleague.com/

3 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

The Barracudas! Sadly no news on whether they will be calling their home ground Arena 84.

:kolobok_biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I accept your sincere apology.

https://www.narugbyleague.com/

Have you even looked at that website? Have a gander at the “News”.

The beauty of a forum like this is that you can chat and learn current affairs and opinions. 

Sarcasm can be funny, but when you double down with your own ignorance... well.

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Have you even looked at that website? Have a gander at the “News”.

The beauty of a forum like this is that you can chat and learn current affairs and opinions. 

Sarcasm can be funny, but when you double down with your own ignorance... well.

Thing is, a lot of this thread is filling in the blanks so if anyone answered your questions there would be a lot of guesswork. But the schedule as planned is there. The teams who will play it are there. The links to social media are there.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Thing is, a lot of this thread is filling in the blanks so if anyone answered your questions there would be a lot of guesswork. But the schedule as planned is there. The teams who will play it are there. The links to social media are there.

Well there is no news of the Western Conference being delayed until 2022, so again, I beg your pardon from asking three simple questions from my fellow RL supporters that would have their finger on the pulse far more than the obvious interweb searches that you suggested, have subsequently demonstrated.

36 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

In return, Panthers look like they are helping grow the game, which is good for their image. Easy media win for each club that costs absolutely nothing, well done to them both.

"Look like" they are helping? Wouldn't the ideal scenario be for them to actually help them?

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Well there is no news of the Western Conference being delayed until 2022, so again, I beg your pardon from asking three simple questions from my fellow RL supporters that would have their finger on the pulse far more than the obvious interweb searches that you suggested, have subsequently demonstrated.

You should read the thread then.

Archived