New North American Competition?

1 hour ago, langpark said:

So many people who invested their time, energy, money in this, have been left stranded. They will feel disgruntled and may well turn their backs on RL altogether.

You don’t say...

also, I didn’t blame rugby league people per se, more the sport in general. For whatever reason, and I have my thoughts, it courts disaster and seems incapable of growth.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

It strikes me that one or more, of the original group of investors has got cold feet and withdrawn.

The alternative, is that the front man, lied about having the financial backing in the first place to stimulate the formation of these clubs. This is a completely preposterous suggestion and I'm surprised anyone would believe it. 

Only a complete nutcase would do something like that. In addition, he would have had to be a terrific conman to convince so many people ''the cheque's in the post'' knowing full well, that in a few weeks, his facade would crumble. Why would anyone do that?

Perhaps it was the collapse of half the league teams (from the West) that changed the investors mind? Who knows?

The only thing I'm sure about, is I'm heartbroken. For myself and all concerned over there.

Sadly, there's a recent example in RL that someone has convinced so many people that the cheques in the post. Hopefully not so many credtors shafted this time.

9 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

What Mascord has reported is pretty much on the money, reported to him as almost verbatim from the league meeting by the look of it. The thing is a farce and that they’re tweeting out stuff about sponsors and announcements is irresponsible and pathetic. 

Investors have gone, some teams haven’t been paid and unless there is some miracle in the few weeks there won’t be an official season this year (clubs may try and put some friendlies on for local lads to salvage something). Talk of getting investors for 2022 but the league is tarnished now.

Beyond disappointing for those of us at club level who have been working tirelessly to get this off the ground and ready to go, the import players who put their lives on hold and the local players training hard for it. Only to be told it was BS. The conversation at training last night was horrible.

There have been a few red flags behind the scenes and the clubs have had to push them for transparency. Thank god they did before people started moving families over etc. 

Peak Rugby League, pretty much the final straw for me. The sport is a joke.

Bad times mate, and I understand you are upset, but I find this very harsh to criticise RL. 

This looked like a load of non-RL people coming up with a load of bull - that isn't RL at all. 

2 hours ago, langpark said:

I think it is a bit unfair to pin this all on "Rugby League" people. For me, a rugby league person is someone with a proven track record in the sport, not some mysterious opportunist that appears overnight, promising the world. A lot of RL folks were skeptical and asked a number of logical questions, many of which, could not be answered.

While I respect the fact a lot of American RL teams and players perhaps went into this thinking: "sure, why not, we have nothing to lose" but my concern is the trail of destruction this now leaves. So many people who invested their time, energy, money in this, have been left stranded. They will feel disgruntled and may well turn their backs on RL altogether.

I also feel for anyone who wants to make a serious attempt at this, or something similar, in the future as it will now be met with double suspicion. 

Beat me to it. Very harsh to pin this rebel comp of non-RL people on being peak-RL. 

Even on this thread it was being celebrated that it was non-RL people involved and RL's issue was we are cynical about newcomers. 

Yet still us already involved in RL appear to get the criticism again. 

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

In my view, if people see RL as a version of another game it militates against recognising the importance of grass roots RL development. i.e. a club network with juniors, non-contact forms, and physical infrastructure.

47 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

You don’t say...

also, I didn’t blame rugby league people per se, more the sport in general. For whatever reason, and I have my thoughts, it courts disaster and seems incapable of growth.

One of the main problems League has is that it just not the type of sport that you can take into an area and expect large amounts of people to start playing. I live in a area that is considered a League stronghold and even in its hey day the percentage of kids playing League was probably less than soccer, it just got a lot more publicity because it was the `game`. These days while still strong the game has retracted to a real working class die-hard Rugby League base, fiercely loyal, still insisting their kids play it, but definitely significantly reduced.

Like it or not, unless League can develop a version that is attractive to all walks of people, and I`m talking about sanitised enough that parents will unhesitatingly allow their children to play, I`m talking up to 14 years old, then we are not going to get the numbers that will follow the sport as adults.

I honestly believe that the League has to do whatever it takes to make the game child friendly on a large scale, tackling round the waist, `hold` Rugby League, whatever, but we have to make it a sport that you can take into any new area and kids will take it up on mass otherwise we are banging our head against a wall.

Soccer has that advantage over League, so when it fails initially it`s not so hard to get started again. so does afl down here, League makes the vast majority of parents and kids apprehensive, but even if we get them playing until 14-15 they are much more likely to become followers for life.

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

That can't happen due to Covid travel restrictions can it? Which was the point of the Canadian teams being kept separate this year?

When the West conference collapsed due to insurance, I had an awful feeling the rest would follow. I'm gutted. I've been keeping an eye on the season kick off date just hoping it would come sooner so I knew nothing could stop it happening. 

If it has collapsed, then what's the damage control going to look like? Are there going to continue to pursue this for next year? How many bridges have been burnt?

Well Ottawa is still a 'Go" and we need to get the Wolfpack up and running again...THE FUTURE IS IN CANADA AS IS NOW CLEAR TO EVERYBODY....once flights resume again the Aces and the Wolfpack can rejoin the English Leagues....we are ready willing and able on this end.  Your end????  The future for Rugby League in NA is clearly Canada bound.

On 26/05/2021 at 23:14, Dave T said:

Bad times mate, and I understand you are upset, but I find this very harsh to criticise RL. 

This looked like a load of non-RL people coming up with a load of bull - that isn't RL at all. 

RL as a sport keeps failing, it can’t be coincidence. I’m not blaming RL people, I’m lamenting the fact the sport is incapable of sustained growth, for whatever reasons. I’m embarrassed to have poured any effort into this.

3736-mipm.gif

15 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Ricky Wilby is a RL man Dave. RL as a sport keeps failing, it can’t be coincidence. I’m not blaming RL people, I’m lamenting the fact the sport is incapable of sustained growth, for whatever reasons. I’m embarrassed to have poured any effort into this.

You're absolutely correct Tex, there is a pattern of failure. A myriad of reasons and circumstances, to be sure, but a pattern.

Sucks for you man, and everyone involved.  A buddy of mine has been busting his ass for months with eyes on Ottawa/CcCRL and now NARL tryouts. Had already bought his Vegas tickets and everything. Even in honest failure people get hurt, and it's so much worse if there was any shadiness. 

Hope you find a way to take some pleasure in the sport again, even if it takes a while to get back. 

I really hope it doesn't collapse.

But the concept was far from a joke. And isn't fantasy land material.

It's frustrating. I'm fired up for this. And I don't think they aimed too high with the salary cap. Perhaps trying to do it in 2021 was tough especially with so much chaos in the economy.

I've been impressed with the hardwork done at club level and I don't want to see them let down.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

It's reassuring to see that Toronto have finally tweeted. They haven't done so since the ###### announcement on 31 March!

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

6 hours ago, PhilCarrington said:

Sadly, there's a recent example in RL that someone has convinced so many people that the cheques in the post. Hopefully not so many credtors shafted this time.

But anyone who HASN'T got their head up their backside appreciates that that was due to the small matter of an unprecedented global financial crisis due to this little thing called Covid. 

41 minutes ago, Hello said:

But anyone who HASN'T got their head up their backside appreciates that that was due to the small matter of an unprecedented global financial crisis due to this little thing called Covid. 

Wish it would hit here in Oz this 'financial crisis' as property prices are beyond a joke. Someone's got money

1 minute ago, langpark said:

What is his proven track record in RL?

Am genuinely asking, as I had never heard of him until recently. 

I’ve heard in the past that he was a P.E. Teacher in Huddersfield and former bag carrier for the Catalan dragons.

Apologies if this is wrong.

6 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Ricky Wilby is a RL man Dave. RL as a sport keeps failing, it can’t be coincidence. I’m not blaming RL people, I’m lamenting the fact the sport is incapable of sustained growth, for whatever reasons. I’m embarrassed to have poured any effort into this.

I don't know Ricky, but hasnt there been questions about him right from the very start? But surely this was more than just him, otherwise why were people so excited? 

What exactly are Ricky Wilby's RL credentials? Because even on here they were pretty much dismissed. 

1 hour ago, langpark said:

What is his proven track record in RL?

Am genuinely asking, as I had never heard of him until recently. 

There are always vague references to him being involved in RL for 15 years, but his own LinkedIn only highlights his involvement with NYRL since 2017 which has been no more than a cap selling business. 

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There are always vague references to him being involved in RL for 15 years, but his own LinkedIn only highlights his involvement with NYRL since 2017 which has been no more than a cap selling business. 

Looks like he coached Huddersfield Uni RL team as well, but I don’t think that amounts to a proven track record

18 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Investors have gone, some teams haven’t been paid and unless there is some miracle in the few weeks there won’t be an official season this year (clubs may try and put some friendlies on for local lads to salvage something). Talk of getting investors for 2022 but the league is tarnished now.

The part of this I have to admit I'm struggling to get, is how the investors can just go and there be no more money.

Generally when you get investment, investors will agree to pay for equity or options based upon a valuation or seed capital based upon a proposal. That money needs to be paid for them to be investor. Now if they choose not to add anymore to their initial investment, convert their options, let their equity be diluted or sell their equity, that is their prerogative, but they can't just take back their initial cash because they don't feel like being part of it anymore.

As such, is it a case that the initial investment has been blown on unforseen costs / or bad calculations? Or worse, did the NARL just take a few people's words that they'd be 'good for the money'?

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

10 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Or worse, did the NARL just take a few people's words that they'd be 'good for the money'?

This, IMO is what happened.

And many went along with it believing they had nothing to lose. I do not exactly agree with that approach, but I can understand why certain teams and/or individuals would take it. 

It is diappointing that some have preyed on their desperation/discontent. 

6 hours ago, Heritage XIII said:

Wish it would hit here in Oz this 'financial crisis' as property prices are beyond a joke. Someone's got money

I dread to think of what they are paying in Lane Cove these days.

On 27/05/2021 at 07:48, Dave T said:

I don't know Ricky, but hasnt there been questions about him right from the very start? But surely this was more than just him, otherwise why were people so excited? 

What exactly are Ricky Wilby's RL credentials? Because even on here they were pretty much dismissed. 

Credentials or not he’s a RL man with a RL background. This wasn’t fronted by randoms who don’t know what RL is. 

3736-mipm.gif

On 27/05/2021 at 09:33, langpark said:

This, IMO is what happened.

And many went along with it believing they had nothing to lose. I do not exactly agree with that approach, but I can understand why certain teams and/or individuals would take it. 

It is diappointing that some have preyed on their desperation/discontent. 

I believe clubs were naturally skeptical from the outset and put quite a few conditions in around payments and contracts being void if payments were missed. I doubt much risk was carried by clubs other than this situation with wasted effort and some guys stumping up cash hoping to get reimbursed later from league payments. 

3736-mipm.gif

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Credentials or not he’s a RL man with a RL background. This wasn’t fronted by randoms who don’t know what RL is. He is the CEO and he, along with a couple others, brought in the mysterious investors and then failed to be transparent about who they are, proof of funds and the fact they had dropped until pushed hard by the clubs.
He’s been driving this and is from a RL background and he’s managed it exactly like a man from RL.

To badge this as an 'RL-thing' is nonsense. 

No existing RL governing bodies were involved, it what was effectively a rebel league. 

The ones who often are proven to be charlatans are those who aren't from RL backgrounds. 

Archived