New North American Competition?

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Because you wouldn’t sell many baseball caps in Timbuktu?

And TV rights and government assistance, two things which administrators crave. There's not much of either in these second world countries. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, steavis said:

I live in London. It's considered a whippet-and-flatcaps northern sport when people think about it at all. And generally speaking, no-one even thinks about it. 

Whippet and flatcaps is your perception of RL as like you say nobody in London has heard of RL.

18 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Brazil only has football, its not like US with American football, baseball, basketball and ice hockey all terribly well established and very popular. No cricket and rugby union either.......

Exactly. Plus brazil has massive populated cities/metropolitan areas like São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Brasilia etc that could accommodate regional competitions rather than 1 big national competition that would involve large travelling distances and costs.

37 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Brazil only has football, its not like US with American football, baseball, basketball and ice hockey all terribly well established and very popular. No cricket and rugby union either.......

Volleyball is popular (and successful) as is, to a lesser extent, basketball. The women have been handball world champions.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, steavis said:

Guys there has only been one successful true expansion franchise - in a non traditional area and still in the fulltime professional top flight - since 1895! 

I'm calling BS. League didn't exist in Australia, NZ, PNG or France (or countless other places) back then, and places like Sydney or Brisbane or Auckland or Toulouse certainly weren't 'heartlands' when the game, or 'professional' competitions started there.

Don't get me wrong, as a sport we are very good at stuffing up expansion, but to try and claim we've only successfully done it once in over 125 years and with huge sums of money is completely false.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

42 minutes ago, steavis said:

A, not in the top flight and B, has been a rugby league area since 1898!

The reason there’s no top flight team is because of the dispersed population, and RL can (and does) thrive without a top flight team. 

1 hour ago, steavis said:

Because everyone involved wants more OUT of it. The IRL had a report targeting wealthy countries because they want someone out of it. Going to Cuba or Brazil etc is almost purely altruistic.

I believe they were targeting G20 nations, of which Brazil is one. That's, in my opinion, why they were allowed into the women's WC.

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, steavis said:

The IRL doesn't have the resources to serious target anywhere. And when enthusiasts pop up organically, they don't have the resources to seriously support them either.

I somewhat disagree. It's possible. The right regions have never been targeted. 

new rise.jpg

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

It might be the best expansion model for Newcastle and Coventry but not the USA.  As they both develop, I believe it will take Newcastle another 5 years to be in a position to challenge for SL.  

5 years? Fantastic!!!

Oh, hang on, were you saying it as a negative? As though 5 years is a really long time?

For me, 9 times out of 10, expansion is failing because people take the "microwave approach". People seem more impatient than ever nowadays and just want instant results. And if they don't get it, they quit.

Newcastle reaching SL in 5 years, for me, is a massive success. Not too fast, not too slow.

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Poland is an absolute must for me and although it’s not ideal and everyone’s cup of tea regrading expansion but the number of potential heritage players in Australia and England could be a huge boost for Poland like with Lebanon and Serbia etc.

Serbia??? What heritage players have they been using? I can answer for you, a few have played over the years, but no big names. Despite this, Rugby League in Serbia has been steadily growing over the years.

This Poland theory going around seeems to be one of the popular myths on this forum. Poland, perhaps, through the use of heritage players, could field a decent national side. But establishing and growing the game IN Poland itself is an entirely different thing. Don't confuse the two. 

6 minutes ago, langpark said:

Serbia??? What heritage players have they been using? I can answer for you, a few have played over the years, but no big names. Despite this, Rugby League in Serbia has been steadily growing over the years.

This Poland theory going around seeems to be one of the popular myths on this forum. Poland, perhaps, through the use of heritage players, could field a decent national side. But establishing and growing the game IN Poland itself is an entirely different thing. Don't confuse the two. 

Serbia like Lebanon, Greece and Italy use a lot of heritage players from competitions like the NSW cup, Ron Massey cup, Sydney shield and junior grade etc.

Also why not use the heritage polish players to kickstart development on the ground in Poland like that of Lebanon in 2000?

13 minutes ago, langpark said:

5 years? Fantastic!!!

Oh, hang on, were you saying it as a negative? As though 5 years is a really long time?

For me, 9 times out of 10, expansion is failing because people take the "microwave approach". People seem more impatient than ever nowadays and just want instant results. And if they don't get it, they quit.

Newcastle reaching SL in 5 years, for me, is a massive success. Not too fast, not too slow.

Just guessing it mate.  They will need to build to compete with the top 3/4 in the championship.  Remember it all started in the late 90’s.  Great work by the club.

2 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Union is a thing in Brazil, they even have a professional team in the South American competition

Cricket probably not a thing there 

4 hours ago, steavis said:

Because everyone involved wants more OUT of it. The IRL had a report targeting wealthy countries because they want someone out of it. Going to Cuba or Brazil etc is almost purely altruistic.

Brazil is a wealthy country. It just has a large gap between rich and poor. 
Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Poland, Serbia, Spain, Greece for me. 
Plenty to get you started. 

6 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

Brazil is a wealthy country. It just has a large gap between rich and poor. 
Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Poland, Serbia, Spain, Greece for me. 
Plenty to get you started. 

Brazil also has a population of more than 200 million and more than a dozen TV networks, and Brazilian TV already pays big money for the rights to broadcast sports.  The Brasileirão's deal with Rede Globo, Esporte Interativo and Premiere paid them 1.032 billion R$ or 199 million US$ in 2019.

5 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

I'm calling BS. League didn't exist in Australia, NZ, PNG or France (or countless other places) back then, and places like Sydney or Brisbane or Auckland or Toulouse certainly weren't 'heartlands' when the game, or 'professional' competitions started there.

Don't get me wrong, as a sport we are very good at stuffing up expansion, but to try and claim we've only successfully done it once in over 125 years and with huge sums of money is completely false.

Your definition of success is different than mine. No current team in a fulltime professional league - not successful. Sure it's probably BS. But it's my BS and I believe it. No-one else has to. Every team in Super League bar Catalans is pre-WWII and the sport has contracted from being coast to coast in Australia in 1995.

33 minutes ago, steavis said:

If it hasn't still got a team in a fulltime professional competition, it's not a success. 

So if there’s a village with three men’s open age teams is RL a failure there because they haven’t got a professional side? 

31 minutes ago, steavis said:

Your definition of success is different than mine. No current team in a fulltime professional league - not successful. Sure it's probably BS. But it's my BS and I believe it. No-one else has to. Every team in Super League bar Catalans is pre-WWII and the sport has contracted from being coast to coast in Australia in 1995.

What UK full time football teams are there who were founded post-WW2? Forest Green Rovers certainly, are there any more? And how about Union teams?  

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What UK full time football teams are there who were founded post-WW2? Forest Green Rovers certainly, are there any more? And how about Union teams?  

Forest Green are actually a very old team. It's just that Ecotricity chap found them ion the lower league and flooded the team with talented vegans, built a new stadium, etc. The pies are good there, BTW!
Similar story of massive rise from small amateur team to professional ranks at Salford City, although fewer vegans, and formed much later than Forest Green.

I'm not claiming to have known this without Wiki-ing, but there are a few league clubs that were certainly formed after WW2. Stevenage, Burton Albion.. and then the complication of AFC Wimbledon (and MK Dons.) But obviously Hertfordshire, Derbyshire, South London and Buckinghamshire have been Association Football heartlands since the early years of the FA Cup.

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Brazil also has a population of more than 200 million and more than a dozen TV networks, and Brazilian TV already pays big money for the rights to broadcast sports.  The Brasileirão's deal with Rede Globo, Esporte Interativo and Premiere paid them 1.032 billion R$ or 199 million US$ in 2019.

That really doesn't sound very much considering the size and popularity of Football in Brazil.

Archived