New North American Competition?

9 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

That's a League One type ground with a very low capacity. That doesn't seem ambitious at all 

What's the current average crowd for the already established semi professional rugby league competition in DC/Virginia?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, langpark said:

So, since kick off is exactly 11 weeks away. When might we start to see these new entities assembling a squad and starting to train? Most of their players will never have played RL before.

For that reason, I think people should stop calling this league 'professional', at least for its first year. 

There seems to be a train of thought amongst some that we’re going to be witnessing NRL standard games in front of five figure crowds across America in about three months time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

34 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

That's a League One type ground with a very low capacity. That doesn't seem ambitious at all 

I disagree, I think its perfectly fine for a semi professional team in a league starting up in only 3 months or so. I'm sure as the league develops other grounds could be considered.

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There seems to be a train of thought amongst some that we’re going to be witnessing NRL standard games in front of five figure crowds across America in about three months time.

Yes I'm not really getting this either. If in the short term if we get a sustainable setup with League 1 standard of play that would be a huge success in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

I disagree, I think its perfectly fine for a semi professional team in a league starting up in only 3 months or so. I'm sure as the league develops other grounds could be considered.

Totally agree. That ground looks fine - much better to fill that than have 1500 rattling round in a brand new AFC Wimbledon style stadium!

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes I'm not really getting this either. If in the short term if we get a sustainable setup with League 1 standard of play that would be a huge success in my opinion.

This league won't be close to a league 1 standard of play for a number of years without teams importing a significant number of players. Think that's the reality initially, as most clubs at the moment are either small amateur clubs or didn't exist until the announcement. The product on the field will need to match the ambitions of the league and no doubt they'll get there if there is significant investment but they will need investment over a long period of time. 

The NARL said for 2021 that matches will be played in front of no crowds, so honestly teams don't need big venues or anything like that yet. They just need venues which can support broadcast and six teams / three matches in the one day.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Just now, OriginalMrC said:

This league won't be close to a league 1 standard of play for a number of years without teams importing a significant number of players. Think that's the reality initially, as most clubs at the moment are either small amateur clubs or didn't exist until the announcement. The product on the field will need to match the ambitions of the league and no doubt they'll get there if there is significant investment but they will need investment over a long period of time. 

I know, hence why I said that would be a huge success. I certainly think it can be done if the funding is there and it stays in place. Semi-professional athletes aided with some RL imports can certainly get to that standard but it would certainly take a while for North American players to develop those RL smarts. Its pretty hard to suddenly get years of grounding, experience and watching the game that most RL players have. The good thing is that there are 14 teams that are essentially starting at the same level and can grow as one.

Interested by the inclusion of San Diego in the proposed line up .

I messaged some NFL loving relatives who live in the City with a link to the story - with an along the lines of ' now you can watch a decent sport ' joke ..

They were actually pretty interested and said it would be something that they'd give a go .

They actually pointed out that in the past few years the City has lost its Hockey and Basketball Franchises to other cities and more tellingly the San Diego Chargers NFL team was moved to LA the other year after 40 plus years in the City .

An audience of 'contact 'sports fans with no team to follow ...If it was marketed right could be a massive ready made fan base for the 'Swells'

8 minutes ago, Rach said:

Interested by the inclusion of San Diego in the proposed line up .

I messaged some NFL loving relatives who live in the City with a link to the story - with an along the lines of ' now you can watch a decent sport ' joke ..

They were actually pretty interested and said it would be something that they'd give a go .

They actually pointed out that in the past few years the City has lost its Hockey and Basketball Franchises to other cities and more tellingly the San Diego Chargers NFL team was moved to LA the other year after 40 plus years in the City .

An audience of 'contact 'sports fans with no team to follow ...If it was marketed right could be a massive ready made fan base for the 'Swells'

Theres a weird think on wikipedia about the old union team Breakers being massive in switzerland ? Bizarre. 

3 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

I hope they add a couple western teams for 2022 you don't want to have the east at 8 teams and west at 6 teams.

I think they said that the Canadian teams will be in the “US” conferences next year so you’ll probably see them all realigned to fit.

5 hours ago, langpark said:

So, since kick off is exactly 11 weeks away. When might we start to see these new entities assembling a squad and starting to train? Most of their players will never have played RL before.

For that reason, I think people should stop calling this league 'professional', at least for its first year. 

What’s the definition of a professional league? I’m fairly sure it’s not how new to RL it’s players are. 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What’s the definition of a professional league? I’m fairly sure it’s not how new to RL it’s players are. 

Anything which dampens the expectations of folk anticipating a league bigger and better than SL by June this year is a start.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Right, I will take up a new sport tomorrow for the very first time and call myself a pro. 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not sure anyone watching it apart from converted Wolfpack fans will know the difference? 

Who are you expecting to watch? Since no spectators are allowed in, and you have to pay to watch it online, then I guarantee you, the vast majority of viewers will know the difference.

8 minutes ago, langpark said:

Who are you expecting to watch? Since no spectators are allowed in, and you have to pay to watch it online, then I guarantee you, the vast majority of viewers will know the difference.

Big mistake not showing it for free or at least letting international viewers watch it for free. 

Sports Flicks has some cash, I mean they outbid Stan Sports (Nine) and Optus for the UEFA Champions rights, so they are potentially contributing significantly to the $4.2m annual budget the competition has.

beIN Sports has been listed as a partner of the NARL, so potentially they may broadcast some matches via their network.

Whilst of course we'd all love to see matches available on FTA and via every free online streaming service, if the investment Sports Flicks is making ensures the competition has the funds to effectively establish itself, that's far more important.

On teams in the competition, Perez has already said the League is looking at Montreal, Vancouver and somewhere in Atlantic Canada for future teams.

Potentially they'll just make Canada its own 6 team Conference.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

14 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Anything which dampens the expectations of folk anticipating a league bigger and better than SL by June this year is a start.

I don't think even one person on here or involved with the league is expecting that, or have said it will be. 

Getting funding and setting up a new league is the start.

If they get paid it will be semi professional regardless of the standard.

Just now, JM2010 said:

I don't think even one person on here or involved with the league is expecting that, or have said it will be. 

Some on here are anticipating close to that - see comments about just how quickly this league will surpass Super League or the lack of ambition of a club playing out a stadium that only holds 1,500.

I've not seen anything so ridiculous from people involved or those closer to the game in America.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Some on here are anticipating close to that - see comments about just how quickly this league will surpass Super League or the lack of ambition of a club playing out a stadium that only holds 1,500.

I've not seen anything so ridiculous from people involved or those closer to the game in America.

I'm just happy that someone has invested in North America and hopefully they'll be able to gradually increase the amount of teams and, more importantly, strengthen the game below the league

9 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Sports Flicks has some cash, I mean they outbid Stan Sports (Nine) and Optus for the UEFA Champions rights, so they are potentially contributing significantly to the $4.2m annual budget the competition has.

beIN Sports has been listed as a partner of the NARL, so potentially they may broadcast some matches via their network.

Whilst of course we'd all love to see matches available on FTA and via every free online streaming service, if the investment Sports Flicks is making ensures the competition has the funds to effectively establish itself, that's far more important.

On teams in the competition, Perez has already said the League is looking at Montreal, Vancouver and somewhere in Atlantic Canada for future teams.

Potentially they'll just make Canada its own 6 team Conference.

And of course Sports Flicks is heavily connected to Serbian RL. 

Red Star Belgrade Rugby League Pty Ltd (Australia) is a shareholder and is owned by Colin Kleyweg who is Sports Flick’s commercial director.

Archived