New North American Competition?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Bradford went into administration and left the competition after 13 games in the 1960s the bulls version went into administration 3 times in 4 years, they were one of only 4 winners of the GF and one of 2 world champions to go into administration. The game is littered with heartland clubs going into administration numerous times. And yes posters ask what those other clubs mentioned bring to the game but no club has been vilified as strongly as Toronto. And also our game is littered with missed opportunities and a lot of these were partly due to our inward looking game and fans. 

But just keep saying it doesn't make it true. 

This narrative that fans are in some cosy club with each other and have love for other Northern clubs is just nonsense. 

I've highlighted the negativity towards the lower clubs in SL, we had Bradford, Leigh are treated like scumand so on. 

People don't have to like TWP, just like nobody can ever force us to like Wigan. We don't need to be so sensitive about it. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

But just keep saying it doesn't make it true. 

This narrative that fans are in some cosy club with each other and have love for other Northern clubs is just nonsense. 

I've highlighted the negativity towards the lower clubs in SL, we had Bradford, Leigh are treated like scumand so on. 

People don't have to like TWP, just like nobody can ever force us to like Wigan. We don't need to be so sensitive about it. 

I could go back and forth using your own points against what you write, but ultimately it will be pointless because I think my point of view is correct and you disagree. 

I am not sensitive about this just taking part in a fans forum nothing more. 

48 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The governing body can't just do what they want. Even outside of SL the clubs vote. 

True, but with majority support they have introduced 2 Canadian clubs, 2 Welsh clubs and 2 french clubs.

That indicates to me at least that they view their remit at least in some cases as beyond merry old England.

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

True, but with majority support they have introduced 2 Canadian clubs, 2 Welsh clubs and 2 french clubs.

That indicates to me at least that they view their remit at least in some cases as beyond merry old England.

I'm supportive of that as a principle, the problem is that they haven't created any kind of effective pathway and it leads to failure. I'd rather the RFL partnered with other governing bodies instead of just jumping into bed with rich blokes. 

The best thing the RFL can do is create a pathway (including agreement with the different leagues) on how to admit new teams instead of working on an ad hoc basis. 

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm supportive of that as a principle, the problem is that they haven't created any kind of effective pathway and it leads to failure. I'd rather the RFL partnered with other governing bodies instead of just jumping into bed with rich blokes. 

The best thing the RFL can do is create a pathway (including agreement with the different leagues) on how to admit new teams instead of working on an ad hoc basis. 

Totally agree 110% with that, but you can see why both from being de facto the most influential governing body in the Northern Hemisphere and de jure including teams from at least 3 other countries in its competitions that people have come to expect certain things of the RFL?

I totally agree with you that things like French participation in Super League should be on the basis of the FFRXIII working alongside the RFL to decide how many spots it has and how it fills them. 

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Totally agree 110% with that, but you can see why both from being de facto the most influential governing body in the Northern Hemisphere and de jure including teams from at least 3 other countries in its competitions that people have come to expect certain things of the RFL?

I totally agree with you that things like French participation in Super League should be on the basis of the FFRXIII working alongside the RFL to decide how many spots it has and how it fills them. 

To be fair, the RFL are the governing body of the UK (although I don't understand how that works tbh) so Wales comes under that, and they have dipped their toe in France, but the NA thing isn't a natural fit, just because it is in the Northern Hemisphere. It needs (and needed) more than just a rich bloke setting up a club. I can't think of a single example of that working for expansion anywhere ever. But I supported their decision because I don't believe in looking a gift horse in the mouth. 

The Catalans model is clearly the best (but not without problems) and we just haven't ever repeated it. It's bizarre. Admitting TWP was a tricky one as we had a governance restructure during that time which undermined the decision, but they don't ha e the same excuse for Ottawa, they have done the sma eafain, and personally I think that is neglegent. 

Unfortunately the boring stuff will make the biggest difference I. E. governance improvements. 

Isn't this intriguing?

What on earth is happening?

I love the slow release of information, slowly building interest, arousing everyone's curiosity.

It's reminiscent of the Euro XIII build up.

I reckon Eric Perez is all over this, I wonder if the chap from New York is too?

I just hope there's someone from Toronto in the mix as well.

What's Brian McDermott doing these days? 

If the rumour mill can be believed on this, then Eric Perez is heavily involved and will be including a Toronto based team.

So far teams / regions linked to this are:

Toronto Wolfpack, Ottawa Aces, NYC Bears or Grizzlies, Boston 13s, Washington DC Calvary, Atlanta Rhinos and Cleveland Rugby League.

Arguably you'd want one more team so you'd have even numbers, but it's not a bad looking league, if that is what is going to be announced.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

43 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Ottawa appears to have aligned itself with whatever is getting announced as well 

https://twitter.com/ottawaaces/status/1376262821881786373?s=19

So I gather some big announcement is going to be made on April 1st.

Do the Yanks celebrate `April Fools Day`, I hope this doesn`t turn out to be a bad joke.

Definition: `The custom of setting aside one day to play harmless jokes on one`s neighbours is relatively common in the world historically. ` 

4 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Do the Yanks celebrate `April Fools Day`, I hope this doesn`t turn out to be a bad joke.

Definition: `The custom of setting aside one day to play harmless jokes on one`s neighbours is relatively common in the world historically. ` 

i can't imagine someone would set this up as an April Fools joke.

I'm so excited about this being true, it would spoil my whole day! 

5 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Good point.  They might start off with an april fools joke, then make the real announcement a few hours later...

They would not make all this hype only for it to be a joke (at least, I assume they wouldn't), they would lose a lot of credibility IMO.

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

i can't imagine someone would set this up as an April Fools joke.

I'm so excited about this being true, it would spoil my whole day! 

I`m sorry Irish, I`m excited as well, I`m just not letting my expectations get too high, I find personally that`s the best way to deal with these sort of things, but mate fingers crossed.

9 minutes ago, langpark said:

Good point.  They might start off with an april fools joke, then make the real announcement a few hours later...

They would not make all this hype only for it to be a joke (at least, I assume they wouldn't), they would lose a lot of credibility IMO.

Yeah the joke may really be on us, " Billionaires Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch News Corp subsidiary Fox Sports to set up professional American League with large shopping list of NRL and Super League stars."

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah the joke may really be on us, " Billionaires Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch News Corp subsidiary Fox Sports to set up professional American League with large shopping list of NRL and Super League stars."

Where did that come from? Did you make that up? 

6 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Hey Irish maybe I should have saved that headline for a couple of days you reckon, I`ll stop yanking (excuse the pun ) your chain now. 👍

Off topic but I've been enjoying the championship coverage this weekend and it's convinced me that the championship is very worthy of tv coverage and (I believe) a great vehicle for bringing new fans into the game.

The Widnes v Whitehaven (haven't seen it all yet) looks like a great game, really fast and open.

The games have knocked spots off the RaRa ''six nations (eton) wall game and goal kicking championships'', just finished.

Let's keep the championships on terrestrial television! 

1 hour ago, Heritage XIII said:

Wasnt Super League back in the day launched on April 1? If so, could be a genuine announcement with a slap in someone's face?

Let's hope it's something worth counting down for!

Technically it was 'Star League' which was launched on April 1, 1995, but that pretty much was Super League.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Archived