New North American Competition?

4 hours ago, Gomersall said:

These are the types of signings that should get people excited. We now have a realistic pathway to introduce top American athletes to the sport.

• Like 7

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

I'm starting to think he might be a bit of a grifter 🤔

Whatever he is I wish the game had more people like Perez involved. He deserves a lot of credit for getting off his backside and setting up not one but two clubs and even prior to that getting great crowds for internationals at Lamport and getting a RL tv programme shown in Canada.

• Like 9

I don't think NARL would be happening (and only time will tell if it is going to succeed) if the Wolfpack had not existed. It took David Argyles fortune to ascertain that there is indeed an appetite for RL in North America and Eric Perez was correct to state that it had to be top-down driven as opposed to bottom-up driven. So now we have NARL which, I feel, will be well supported by Canadian fans and if American fans support their teams anywhere close to the level we saw in Toronto in 2017 ie 5-6000 fans per game then it will take hold, marketing will be the key and who does marketing better than the Americans?

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I don't think NARL would be happening (and only time will tell if it is going to succeed) if the Wolfpack had not existed. It took David Argyles fortune to ascertain that there is indeed an appetite for RL in North America and Eric Perez was correct to state that it had to be top-down driven as opposed to bottom-up driven. So now we have NARL which, I feel, will be well supported by Canadian fans and if American fans support their teams anywhere close to the level we saw in Toronto in 2017 ie 5-6000 fans per game then it will take hold, marketing will be the key and who does marketing better than the Americans?

I think most American teams will struggle to get that level of support but agree completely that it had to be top down initially to generate interest.

3736-mipm.gif

40 minutes ago, Damien said:

Whatever he is I wish the game had more people like Perez involved. He deserves a lot of credit for getting off his backside and setting up not one but two clubs and even prior to that getting great crowds for internationals at Lamport and getting a RL tv programme shown in Canada.

100%. A lot of people don’t like successful people though sadly, any chance to have a pop at them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

These are the types of signings that should get people excited. We now have a realistic pathway to introduce top American athletes to the sport.

Top American Athletes would be employed in their first choice sport if they were really "Top American Athletes" the fact is that by trialling or signing for a relatively new start up sport kinda indicates they have fallen from some lofty perch "at the top".

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Top American Athletes would be employed in their first choice sport if they were really "Top American Athletes" the fact is that by trialling or signing for a relatively new start up sport kinda indicates they have fallen from some lofty perch "at the top".

Just because they haven’t made it in the NFL doesn’t mean they aren’t superb athletes who can be good RL players. There will be some unbelievable athletes who don’t make it professionally over there. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That's the spirit mate. The amount of talent that goes to waste in the US is astounding, there a very few alternatives for those that dont make it in pro football. 

• Like 11

3736-mipm.gif

2 hours ago, RugbyFan99 said:

He's been stringing along credulous types for years

Hold up, are you telling me that Eric Perez, an advertising person trying to promote a sports competition in a completely new market, is making the product out to be slightly better than it likely will be in order to attract new customers?

I’m shocked and appalled. I always thought advertising was about being honest and telling potential customers that it’s rubbish so they can make an informed choice. Or better still, not telling them at all. That’s proper Rugby League marketing.

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

marketing will be the key and who does marketing better than the Americans?

...Americans with money, would be more accurate.  The size of the marketing budget is just as crucial as the actual marketing tactics.

As for Perez, he has always come across a bit dodgy to me.  But that being said, in my opinion, he DOES have credibility.  Yes he talks big, but he has also achieved something.  What he did with Wolfpack was an incredible achievement, regardless of how it all ended for them.

I listened to that Mick Gledhill interview.  I am all for thorough journalism and asking the pressing question.  But Gledhill and his colleagues were just so painful to listen to.  They started out asking a question, then would go off on a 5 minute tangent (basically giving their own opinion/answer to the question they were asking Perez) then at the end of it all, just pause suddenly and expect Perez to somehow answer.  The question had long gotten lost in all their rambling.

Also there were some inaccuracies, they were saying things like:  "RFL have made it clear they don't want Canadian teams in their leagues".

Looks like there are try outs in Vegas next month, they’ll award 140 contracts for the Western Conference teams (Max $20, not bad for such a short season) and players will get accommodation in Vegas for the duration of the season. Surely that has got to be attractive to a lot of lads in their early and mid-20s, regardless of if they’ve played before or not. 
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=125766122921073&id=100514275446258

Edit - and here’s a promo video https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=125085066322512&id=100514275446258

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I think most American teams will struggle to get that level of support but agree completely that it had to be top down initially to generate interest.

I bet there were a lot of Lamport regulars who went initially because it was a novelty, something different and a party atmosphere and then discovered they loved the game. I remember bringing a half dozen to L1 game 1 at Lamport by mid season I had a dozen or so and by the last game I think we were 20. On more than 1 occasion I talked to Americans who came in from Buffalo and upstate New York. Championship season(1) 20 was a regular outing and by Ch season 2 GF we were 30 with most of them season ticket holders, heck I had 4 people from Montreal and Ottawa!! There's no reason this scenario cannot be repeated in the USA. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

He's a BS merchant. He transparently portrays British RL in a negative light as if it all needs to be torn down and built up again to his benefit. 

The type of BS merchant that conveniently and deliberately underestimates crowds in North america by a factor of around 5 to suit his agenda? Can't imagine which bs merchants on this site might do that ! 

Edited by Hello
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I bet there were a lot of Lamport regulars who went initially because it was a novelty, something different and a party atmosphere and then discovered they loved the game. I remember bringing a half dozen to L1 game 1 at Lamport by mid season I had a dozen or so and by the last game I think we were 20. On more than 1 occasion I talked to Americans who came in from Buffalo and upstate New York. Championship season(1) 20 was a regular outing and by Ch season 2 GF we were 30 with most of them season ticket holders, heck I had 4 people from Montreal and Ottawa!! There's no reason this scenario cannot be repeated in the USA. 

I think the novelty of playing in the UK was a big draw and the Toronto set up was perfect with the stadium easy to access, the party atmosphere etc. Obviously, it could happen in some US locations but they won't have that lure of competing in the established league. It's going to hard to get noticed in New York for example, maybe places like Cleveland will have a better chance at building a fan base.

• Like 1

3736-mipm.gif

30 minutes ago, Hello said:

The type of BS merchant that conveniently and deliberately underestimates crowds in North america by a factor of around 5 to suit his agenda? Can't imagine which bs merchants on this site might do that ! 

Don’t have an agenda, chief. I saw through Toronto for what it was: a novelty act. 

The Toronto model was to have a squad of ready-made, experienced players with no development structure underneath.

In a salary-capped sport, it is a model doomed to fail. And fail it did, quicker than I thought. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Same old knockers at it again. These new teams have to take  more or less what they can to get set up ,they can be more selective when  they are  established.

In regard to talking big why not? Perez has done more to establish teams in NA than the RL have ever attempted. The  guys a breath of fresh air to the game.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

And enabled by too many in the RL media. He had no credibility yet treated like the second coming.

Ya sure that is why Bradford hired him a few years back to right the ship...ya sure.  Stick to the facts please and quit the made up stuff.

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Don’t have an agenda, chief. I saw through Toronto for what it was: a novelty act. 

The Toronto model was to have a squad of ready-made, experienced players with no development structure underneath.

In a salary-capped sport, it is a model doomed to fail. And fail it did, quicker than I thought. 

Come on....this is a ridiculous post for anyone that followed what you said previously...talk about revisionist history!!!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Come on....this is a ridiculous post for anyone that followed what you said previously...talk about revisionist history!!!!!

It’s the truth, Ruth.

Feel sorry for you, chief. I know what it’s like to have a club taken away from me.

Hopefully Wolfpack MkII will last longer than a Double Whopper with Cheese. 👍

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

Just because they haven’t made it in the NFL doesn’t mean they aren’t superb athletes who can be good RL players. There will be some unbelievable athletes who don’t make it professionally over there. 

12 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

That's the spirit mate. The amount of talent that goes to waste in the US is astounding, there a very few alternatives for those that dont make it in pro football. 

I am not saying they will not be very good athletically as individuals, I was commenting on the description that was awarded of "Top American Athletes" which suggests they will be household names.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am not saying they will not be very good athletically as individuals, I was commenting on the description that was awarded of "Top American Athletes" which suggests they will be household names.

I see what you mean but I don’t think anyone thinks that, surely. I think they just mean superb athletes who could become good RL players. 

• Like 2