New North American Competition?

21 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Ignoring the mystery figure distraction, of course you have the right to debate and criticise and others have the right to find it amusing and silly. Carry on.

He is raising legitimate concerns and making valid points, you are simply chiming in each time with your "witty" one-liners. Carry on. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, langpark said:

He is raising legitimate concerns and making valid points, you are simply chiming in each time with your "witty" one-liners. Carry on. 

If it's between me and him mind your own, carry on!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

31 minutes ago, egm said:

Dunno if you've seen the news lad but I think there's a little virus going around

Deliberately selective quote, clearly said they should wait until next year if they feel this number of teams is needed.

I'm impressed by some of the talent the western clubs are signing, a lot of players with either MLR or US Sevens experience, which is great.

Whilst there are definitely differences between League and Unions and again Sevens, don't forget they'll be playing predominantly against other teams which also have a lot of players which are also learning the finer details of the game.

Being based out of Vegas for 2 months, all together, provides a pretty good platform to learn quickly and build combinations, etc and anyway even if there are blow outs, does it really matter?

For me, the only club I'm slightly worried about is Cleveland. Unlike the Western clubs, they are playing against established teams (with exception of Washington, but that supposedly has a number of former Slayers in the team), have to travel more and seem to be either the tightest financially, or just the shrewdest. 

I'm sure they'll be fine as Montē has incredible drive and passion, and that behaviour is infectious, but their set of circumstances are arguably one of the hardest.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Maybe all the Albanian refs that the RLEF are training but who don’t have a domestic competition to referee in can do it? 

We could offer them American or Canadian citizenship...do Albanians make good immigrants...are they a peaceful law abiding people?

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

This would be why it would be good to be partnered with the sanctioning body. They'll have trained referees to hand.

Sounds like a possible plan to me...are you talking RFL?

12 hours ago, Kayakman said:

We could offer them American or Canadian citizenship...do Albanians make good immigrants...are they a peaceful law abiding people?

Give them a test.

Send them to Mexico and if they can climb over Trumps wall, they're in! 

Unfortunate that Atlanta won't be in both competitions, especially as they've been quite vocal about their desire to be in both.

Thankfully it won't impact the USARL Southern Conference dramatically as there will still be five other clubs involved.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Realise they have not started playi g now, but does this mean the NARL 

55 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Unfortunate that Atlanta won't be in both competitions, especially as they've been quite vocal about their desire to be in both.

Thankfully it won't impact the USARL Southern Conference dramatically as there will still be five other clubs involved.

Realise that the comp isn't up and running yet and a number of clubs are still being "created", but I think the NARL now has more teams than the USARL. They also appear to have more funding so it will be interesting to see if the NARL, should it continue, takes control of RL in the USA over the next couple of years. Given the USARL is apparently run from Australia, maybe it should. If California RL gets going with a league post Covid with half a dozen teams, their input could be influential in who controls the game over there. Interesting times.

4 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Shame, feels like a bit of a step back in terms of grassroots development 

They'd realistically need a squad of 40 to make this work, plus the additional costs of making it happen. If USARL is going to be a development league I think for now it ought to be separate teams otherwise you're going to have 'reserve' teams missing games due to lack of players etc. This seems like the right call to me.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

18 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Shame, feels like a bit of a step back in terms of grassroots development 

Depends what you consider grassroots development, Atlanta will have the same presence in the city at the very least and hopefully an increased one. Makes the southern USARL a Florida league I think, given the logistics do they need Atlanta more than, say, a Daytona and a Miami team?

The USARL is not run from Australia, that thought / notion is incorrect. Yes the Chair of the USARL, Peter Illfield, is an Australian and is currently in Australia, but in fairness he was elected and re-elected as Chair whilst running the Philadelphia Fight.

All the other members of the board are based in the US currently, though much like the AMNRL board beforehand, there is possibly too much Australian influence, especially for a sport which has been in the States for 20+ years.

Now on comments about the NARL maybe taking control of the game across the US, I don't think we'll see that happen. As the USARL has shown, it is difficult to actually focus on Development/Growth, the Premier competition and the Representative teams all simultaneously.

It's why most of the growth in the US has happened outside of the USARL's remit, as the USARL management poured most of their effort into the East Coast competition and the Hawks.

The emergence of the NARL actually gives the USARL an opportunity to reevaluate it's priorities and where it pushes resources, it also provides an opportunity for the body to reconcile with the likes of Oregon, California, Utah, Texas, Carolina and Mid-West RLs plus the US Women's, Wheelchair and Master's RLs and truely bring them into the fold.

Whether the USARL continues to run its own competition, I guess is up to them. There is definitely room for them to, especially when you look at US Rugby who continues to run National Club Championships and Conference based competitions below MLR.

Anyway, hopefully who looks after what can be dealt with overtime. As I mentioned before, the NARL, USARL and likes of California, etc don't have to get on at the moment. The cross-overs are minimal and less so with the likes of Atlanta not trying to play in both competitions, there is also more than enough of the US still left claim.

On 24/04/2021 at 09:39, Whippet13 said:

Depends what you consider grassroots development, Atlanta will have the same presence in the city at the very least and hopefully an increased one. Makes the southern USARL a Florida league I think, given the logistics do they need Atlanta more than, say, a Daytona and a Miami team?

The Southern Conference was always very accommodating in allowing Atlanta to take part, but from a logistics perspective, it is a pretty taxing inclusion, especially to the more southern clubs.

Jacksonville to Atlanta is almost 5 hrs one way alone. Miami to over 9.

Having the Southern Conference focus just on Florida may allow the league to grow at a faster rate and rival California for the most RL clubs.

Considering there are 60 RU clubs in Florida, there is no reason why League couldn't have at least 10 or so.

Archived