New North American Competition?

On 27/05/2021 at 14:09, Dave T said:

To badge this as an 'RL-thing' is nonsense. 

No existing RL governing bodies were involved, it what was effectively a rebel league. 

The ones who often are proven to be charlatans are those who aren't from RL backgrounds. 

Can’t be bothered getting into a huge debate about it Dave but this type of thing happens often in RL. That’s the point I’m making here, I’m not sure why you’re getting defensive on behalf of the sport when it’s endemic.

The sport as a whole seems to have a problem with bad investors, I don’t know what it does to solve that, I’m at the point where I don’t really care either. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Can’t be bothered getting into a huge debate about it Dave but this type of thing happens often in RL. 

If "this type of thing" does happen more often in RL than other sports (more appropriate to say "to RL" rather than "in"), the explanation lies in the undue emphasis on the pro game. 

When RU spread their game around the world they did it by setting up amateur club structures. Likewise, genuine RL enthusiasts build the game from the grass roots. They can have no other motives beyond altruism and love of the game. Such people are committed and reliable.

By contrast, attempting to concoct a pro league, with nothing or next to nothing underpinning it, risks attracting people similar in outlook to the kind of tin-pot local businessmen RL in the North of England is bedevilled with. i.e. blokes who regard the game as "Rugby", ignore amateurs, juniors, schools, and any sort of development, whose only interest is paying players to win games.

7 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

If "this type of thing" does happen more often in RL than other sports (more appropriate to say "to RL" rather than "in"), the explanation lies in the undue emphasis on the pro game. 

When RU spread their game around the world they did it by setting up amateur club structures. Likewise, genuine RL enthusiasts build the game from the grass roots. They can have no other motives beyond altruism and love of the game. Such people are committed and reliable.

By contrast, attempting to concoct a pro league, with nothing or next to nothing underpinning it, risks attracting people similar in outlook to the kind of tin-pot local businessmen RL in the North of England is bedevilled with. i.e. blokes who regard the game as "Rugby", ignore amateurs, juniors, schools, and any sort of development, whose only interest is paying players to win games.

In fairness, RU didn't have a pro game when they were spreading!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Well put.

It still amazes me that so many people seem to be convinced this can be profitable. Most NRL clubs operate at a loss year after year, yet somehow the Las Vegas Blackjacks were supposed to appear out if thin air and some how be a viable entity. 

I also have a minir gripe with the constant use of the word "investor". An investor, by definition, is someone who puts money into a project and exoects to make a profit from his investment. 

The appropriate term should be "benefactor". At all levels of RL, let alone this gamble called the NARL. 

14 hours ago, Hello said:

But anyone who HASN'T got their head up their backside appreciates that that was due to the small matter of an unprecedented global financial crisis due to this little thing called Covid. 

Those debts were piling up bfore covid, but don't let that stop you blaming it.

50 minutes ago, langpark said:

Well put.

It still amazes me that so many people seem to be convinced this can be profitable. Most NRL clubs operate at a loss year after year, yet somehow the Las Vegas Blackjacks were supposed to appear out if thin air and some how be a viable entity. 

I also have a minir gripe with the constant use of the word "investor". An investor, by definition, is someone who puts money into a project and exoects to make a profit from his investment. 

The appropriate term should be "benefactor". At all levels of RL, let alone this gamble called the NARL. 

I don't know what the "investors" were seeing in Las Vegas given the MLR have taken games there in front of almost no spectators. The likes of Seattle, New England and Washington makes more sense as they seem to get behind every pro team no matter the sport.

2 hours ago, langpark said:

Well put.

This I agree with and would be my guess they pulled out. I doubt rugby clubs of either code will ever be profitable in the US. They probably realized that before a ball had been kicked.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, PhilCarrington said:

Those debts were piling up bfore covid, but don't let that stop you blaming it.

So much so that at the beginning of the season they requested a salary cap rise so that they could pay even more in wages.

5 minutes ago, Hello said:

So much so that at the beginning of the season they requested a salary cap rise so that they could pay even more in wages.

Hello and PhilCarrington - Might I respectfully ask you to not let this thread degenerate into another slanging contest over the now defunct organisation to which you are referring.  Water under the bridge and all that.

6 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Hello and PhilCarrington - Might I respectfully ask you to not let this thread degenerate into another slanging contest over the now defunct organisation to which you are referring.  Water under the bridge and all that.

Don't worry I'm not one to bang on and this is my last post for now. However, I think that you'll find that an analysis of TWP and the interest that they generated is completely relevant to a thread on a potential north American League. Thought that the main point of a forum was to discuss points relevant to the issue in hand. If any slight divergence is not allowed, you can lock 99.9 percent of the threads on these boards for starters.

2 hours ago, Hello said:

Don't worry I'm not one to bang on and this is my last post for now. However, I think that you'll find that an analysis of TWP and the interest that they generated is completely relevant to a thread on a potential north American League. Thought that the main point of a forum was to discuss points relevant to the issue in hand. If any slight divergence is not allowed, you can lock 99.9 percent of the threads on these boards for starters.

Do as he says or her will have no choice but to call The Cameron down on ya.

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So do we know what’s happening yet or is all of this based on a Steve Mascord tweet? 

I suspect the NARL is busy looking for new investors and that will be the primary role of the 2 new directors who joined a few days ago. I read that article as they could try to run as an amateur comp this year on a shoe-string budget and plan to go semi-pro next year when fans will be allowed into games, which would be more attractive to investors.

38 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Strange article. Starts off with:

Teams in the North American Rugby League (NARL) East Conference say they have no intention of returning to the USA Rugby League (USARL) LLC domestic competition even if their new league doesn’t happen in 2021.

Then the article goes on to speak to on to speak to only one representative, from one club 🤔

4 minutes ago, langpark said:

Strange article. Starts off with:

Teams in the North American Rugby League (NARL) East Conference say they have no intention of returning to the USA Rugby League (USARL) LLC domestic competition even if their new league doesn’t happen in 2021.

Then the article goes on to speak to on to speak to only one representative, from one club 🤔

Only one prepared to go on the record?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, langpark said:

Perhaps, but they could mention that if it is the case. 

The take-away from the article seems to be that promised money has not been forthcoming, that the split with USARL is real and lasting, and that you could fertilise whole farms with what is being spewed out by some people with regards to what's going on.

The sad fact is that if we could cut the grand gestures and grandstanding out that a League 1 standard expenses-paid league in North America would be an amazing success. But we seem to want to cut straight to having a Super League rival in a fortnight.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I still hold out hope that things can be resolved in some way. But it is concerning that if NARL doesn't get off the ground and clubs have burnt their bridges with USARL then the whole escapade would have actually put the development of RL in North America back rather than moving anything forward.

9 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

So we might end up with usarl, narl, cal rl, Utah and canada all separate and variously allied with or actively opposed to each other, with no clear big player. Sounds great  for the future. 

You forgot the proposed independent Canada Co-operative RL 9s competition due to start next year 😀 

Pre-season matches scheduled for 6th June (that I can see)

Atlanta v Delaware

Philadelphia Fight v DC Cavalry

Archived