New North American Competition?

Just now, The Frying Scotsman said:

They were not on the list that I saw either.

There were 6 teams listed - Toronto, NY, DC, Boston, Cleveland and another one (I forget).

I can assure you though, that Cleveland are definitely involved.

Atlanta and Brooklyn are in, so it looks like an 8 team league which makes sense. Obviously evolving all the time which is to be expected for something being arranged quite quickly. I think this season will be a bit of a dry run and just get some games played. The proposed magic weekend style fixtures suggest it's quite ad hoc this season and they are reducing the organizational burden.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Atlanta and Brooklyn are in, so it looks like an 8 team league which makes sense. Obviously evolving all the time which is to be expected for something being arranged quite quickly. I think this season will be a bit of a dry run and just get some games played. The proposed magic weekend style fixtures suggest it's quite ad hoc this season and they are reducing the organizational burden.

Yeah - that's why I said CoVid permitting start (above).

My understanding is that the "real" season won't start until end of this year/early next year.

The 5 teams I listed are definitely in, and I probably should have been paying more attention, as I thought it was 6 in total, but it must be 8 as you say. 

The guy I spoke to is 100% in the know, and has signed an NDA so could not expand on certain things.

5 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

My understanding is that the "real" season won't start until end of this year/early next year.

The 5 teams I listed are definitely in, and I probably should have been paying more attention, as I thought it was 6 in total, but it must be 8 as you say. 

The guy I spoke to is 100% in the know, and has signed an NDA so could not expand on certain things.

Is Ricky Wilby's Nyc team involved? 

18 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Is Ricky Wilby's Nyc team involved? 

No, that team doesnt exist. I get the impression that this league is instead of funding that team. Whatever money was earmarked for that is now being spread across a league instead. 

3736-mipm.gif

27 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Exactly, I mean it's going to be pretty patchy this year but it will be good just to get some games on. We're running around trying to recruit and it's not easy even though we had a big/good squad in 2019. Hardly any imports and people having a year off hasn't helped.

3736-mipm.gif

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Toronto are on the list along with Boston, DC, Brooklyn, New York, Atlanta

Would be good to see Toronto back. If they can maintain their support it could a big thing for that comp.

I'd be surprised if Wilby's NYC team wasn't there, as they have been promoting this and even accidentally released their team logo on Facebook earlier in the week.

Same with Ottawa who have been actively pushing the build up, among others like Atlanta, etc. Maybe these other teams are joining post pilot or they are involved in some other way (feeder arrangements / etc).

Anyway I guess we'll find out more in a couple of days, I just hope the USARL and CRLA are both across it and are supportive.

For the US, there is definitely a place for the USARL's East Coast competition to feed into the new RLA competition, whether in its current design or for it to become multiple regional competitions.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

I've also read that a team from Northern Virginia is included, is that right? 

The NOVA Eagles are pushing the Washington DC Calvary's launch, so it more sounds like they are associated with that franchise versus entering on their own.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

18 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

I'd be surprised if Wilby's NYC team wasn't there, as they have been promoting this and even accidentally released their team logo on Facebook earlier in the week.

Same with Ottawa who have been actively pushing the build up, among others like Atlanta, etc. Maybe these other teams are joining post pilot or they are involved in some other way (feeder arrangements / etc).

Anyway I guess we'll find out more in a couple of days, I just hope the USARL and CRLA are both across it and are supportive.

For the US, there is definitely a place for the USARL's East Coast competition to feed into the new RLA competition, whether in its current design or for it to become multiple regional competitions.

The 'New York' team are based in White Plains, about 20 miles outside NYC. They are branding themselves as New York Rugby League but it will be a slightly different version than what Wilby was planning to play in the UK game. Wilby is overseeing the whole competition so I doubt he's focusing on one team per se. As I mentioned previously, it feels like the funding going into the league was likely the funding earmarked for that team which I can't see happening now after the Wolfpack debacle.

3736-mipm.gif

Is it mostly Americans that play in the squads or is it foreign lads living over there? In an MLR game I was watching at the weekend they mentioned one of the players was a USA Tomahawk international, can't remember his name now but there must be some decent players there.

1 hour ago, frank said:

Would be good to see Toronto back. If they can maintain their support it could a big thing for that comp.

It will be interesting to see. I along with others have often thought that a major draw for the Wolfpack was the novelty of playing in a foreign league and that 'starting your own league' wouldn't translate into the same popularity. I doubt they will be anywhere near as popular but I hope I'm wrong.

3736-mipm.gif

1 minute ago, Keith989 said:

Is it mostly Americans that play in the squads or is it foreign lads living over there? In an MLR game I was watching at the weekend they mentioned one of the players was a USA Tomahawk international, can't remember his name now but there must be some decent players there.

Its a mix. There are definitely some good American players, a few expats and then teams will fly people in for the season, something which will obviously happen more now with the funding.

3736-mipm.gif

2 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

It will be interesting to see. I along with others have often thought that a major draw for the Wolfpack was the novelty of playing in a foreign league and that 'starting your own league' wouldn't translate into the same popularity. I doubt they will be anywhere near as popular but I hope I'm wrong.

Playing in a foreign league isn't a novelty to Canadians though, it's the norm in other sports and it would be the case with this league too as it seems to be a US-based league.  That might be enough for it to get some popularity in Toronto, but what the US teams can do to generate interest remains to be seen.

I think it will depend on how much Perez gets involved in the revived Wolfpack and whether they can use the old Wolfpack branding and marketing channels.

Perez showed before the Wolfpack he could attract crowds of 6K+ to Wolverine games to Lamport and that was against a range of opposition, not just the Tomahawks, so if he is actively involved and has a budget, I could see him being able to hype up select games again.

Having access to the old branding and marketing channels would of course just make the job easier. There are possibly a couple of thousand Wolfpack diehards who would happily come back and watch their team should it be revived. Having access to the FB account, CRM, etc would just make the job easier, as they already have sizable followings.

I hope they do have something like the popularity of before because it could really anchor the league and help it grow. A lot of the teams are starting from zero fans with not much scope to bring any in so it will be good to have some teams that take it up a notch on that front.

3736-mipm.gif

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Playing in a foreign league isn't a novelty to Canadians though, it's the norm in other sports and it would be the case with this league too as it seems to be a US-based league.  That might be enough for it to get some popularity in Toronto, but what the US teams can do to generate interest remains to be seen.

Playing in the UK league certainly was given they were the first sports team to ever do it. Playing in a US league that they know isn't a top league will undoubtedly impact the appeal but hopefully they can still attract a good number.

3736-mipm.gif

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Not 'would'...'will'. They are definitely included.

So are they going to relocate to the US as well? No sports teams are currently allowed exemptions from border crossing restrictions. 

4 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

The Nyc team were promoting the countdown too.

What was the logo?

5 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Could David Argyle be convinced to invest in this new league structure?

Archived