A new tactic in Vogue?

9 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Your last point is a fair one... But I would still prefer either to allow stripping the ball, full stop - or not at all.

Preferably simply allow ball stripping. This still makes it less likely for the defender to try a con.

I think its just clarifying that 1 on 1 stripping is fine, its got rid of the daft rule that if a defender was bounced off then a subsequent defender came in he couldn't try a 1 on 1 steal

2 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

I disagree on this point. Players are fundamentally taught to tackle the ball as first point of contact now anyway because it makes it easier to win the ruck. The call for the other players to drop off is only going to be done when the bloke locking the ball is pretty confident he has a good lock. 

The tackler might think he`s locked the ball up and stopped the momentum. But when he makes the call, and other tacklers drop off, the ball-carrier has the chance to prove him wrong. That`s the contest. Better players on either side of it will prosper.

If the ball-carrier is someone like Junior Paulo, when the tackler moves from locking up to ripping, he could find himself steamrollered and grasping at thin air.

2 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

At best, it's going to improve the ruck speed of those tackles involving a failed strip, as there's more potential to spin out and get to ground, but no player is going to be attempting offloads in the middle of a steal attempt IMO. 

Depends on the player. It`s true of a hard yards merchant whose intent is always to get to ground as quickly as possible. But when a natural ball-player spins out, he`s more likely to be looking for an offload.

And it depends on how players are coached to think and play.

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I want to see skill rewarded. This rule, so far, completely fails to do that and takes us back to the messy rucks of the 1980s. Something jaded old men seem to want but which will be a complete turn off for most people watching.

This rule change has no effect on how tidy or messy rucks are.

If you think it does have, please explain precisely how.

4 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

This rule change has no effect on how tidy or messy rucks are.

If you think it does have, please explain precisely how.

Because twice yesterday I watched four blokes wrestle on the floor, the ball emerge, and then a delay whilst we waited for the referee to decide how who to award the ball to.

If I wanted to watch nonsense like that, I could have just switched over to the union.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Because twice yesterday I watched four blokes wrestle on the floor, the ball emerge, and then a delay whilst we waited for the referee to decide how who to award the ball to.

If I wanted to watch nonsense like that, I could have just switched over to the union.

Exactly why I don't like it, we're going to now get 3 or 4 tackles wrestling an attacker into a position so that 1 can then strip the ball. 

35 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

On several occasions though you saw a team turn over the ball through their own efforts rather than waiting till the kick on the last tackle.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

On several occasions though you saw a team turn over the ball through their own efforts rather than waiting till the kick on the last tackle.

I assume I did but, rather like the most tedious aspects of rugby union, it was mostly hidden (and would have been invisible to anyone in the crowd) and relied on the interpretation of a referee to be allowed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I assume I did but, rather like the most tedious aspects of rugby union, it was mostly hidden (and would have been invisible to anyone in the crowd) and relied on the interpretation of a referee to be allowed.

As a fan of one of the teams involved it was an exciting change of pace imo.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

As a fan of one of the teams involved it was an exciting change of pace imo.

Let's see how it develops. From what I've seen so far, as you can tell, I think it's messy, fiddly and adds nothing to the game.

45 minutes ago, dkw said:

Exactly why I don't like it, we're going to now get 3 or 4 tackles wrestling an attacker into a position so that 1 can then strip the ball. 

The more complicated we make the rule , the more frustration we will see with it 

It's like the PTB , players must roll away and not change/add any further grip or contact with the player in possession , if they do , penalty , then everybody knows where they stand 

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Let's see how it develops. From what I've seen so far, as you can tell, I think it's messy, fiddly and adds nothing to the game.

I think its making it more simple, though naturally the more innovative coaches and players (Richard Agar who'd have thought it) will learn to game it I suppose

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I`d have to see the cited incidents to know whether they were as you describe or had any connection with the rule change. 

The ball can come loose on the ground whatever the ball-stealing rule is. And the ref then has to decide how it came loose. There`s nothing new in any of that.

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I mostly watch NRL where this has been the ball-stealing rule for a while. I haven`t noticed any of the downsides you mention.

If you`re right about SL, it might have more to do with the general mess that`s partly caused, and certainly exacerbated, by allowing illegal PTBs as standard.

7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It's like the PTB , players must roll away and not change/add any further grip or contact with the player in possession , if they do , penalty , then everybody knows where they stand 

The rule is now 6-again rather than penalty, which has encouraged refs to crack down on these post-completion offences.

8 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I agree. There is no skill in ripping the ball from someone. It is difficult enough to referee when it is purely one on one. This will frustrate supporters.

It will discourage attacking play which is not what we want. 

It sounds too much like union that teams are already organising players to respond to a call so one can then strip the ball. 

It happened in the game today and looked really scrappy. 

Is my memory playing tricks on me but hasn’t the one on one strip rule been like this before?

I can see why some are against it but to me it makes more sense, Leeds obviously had worked on it (maybe Sean long influence?) but i think it will settle down a bit, It also puts more onus on the ball carrier to carry it properly, far too many times attackers carry the ball loosely and end up getting a strip penalty this may help.

For me though the 6 again rule has been a success, the game stopping for penalties for slowing the ruck down were getting very tedious and thankfully this has helped.

On 27/03/2021 at 20:05, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Can a player start to strip the ball before the other players drop off?  

Players will be getting into position to strip the ball before the give the call for the other players to release. 

Don`t know if this has been discussed elsewhere, but this year we`ve also aligned our ball-stealing rules with the NRL in relation to a player attempting to ground the ball for a try.

The previous position gave the charge down rule a run for its money in the battle for most egregiously unfair law in the game. How could it ever have been right to penalise defenders for trying to stop an opponent scoring by playing at the ball?

Archived