Titans trying to sign Darryl Clarke

According to the press over here we are trying to sign Warrington hooker Clarke to fill our difficult no.9 spot.

what do Wire fans think of him? Will he be a success in the NRL like Hodgson?

I am cautious as every player we’ve signed from England (Mathers, Watkins, Sarginson and Greenwood) have been god-awful.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

According to the press over here we are trying to sign Warrington hooker Clarke to fill our difficult no.9 spot.

I am cautious as every player we’ve signed from England (Mathers, Watkins, Sarginson and Greenwood) have been god-awful.

He's a very good hooker, very quick. With the big forwards the Titans have he'll get lots of space to exploit.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

Kallum Watkins was never able to recover fully from injury while in Australia.

Clarke would be a good buy.

2 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

every player we’ve signed from England (Mathers, Watkins, Sarginson and Greenwood) have been god-awful.

Ah! The master plan is working! 😀😀😀😀

Good stuff. Hopefully they've sent the email to darryl.clarke@warringtonwolves.com. Should get to him, no bother.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

Been unlucky signing English players have the Gold Coast. Clarke would be a decent signing 

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

Been unlucky signing English players have the Gold Coast. Clarke would be a decent signing 

I think the club is pretty cursed too its not like the Origin or Kiwi players they've signed have been any good either!

4 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

And most English fans would have told you that would be the case beforehand. All average or very unpredictable Super League players so it was always a bit strange that Gold Coast thought they'd be stars in the NRL.

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

They’ve not. They’ve largely signed rubbish. Mathers was a distinctly average Super League player at very best, Sarginson baffles me that he’s getting contract after contract, Watkins was signed three-five years too late and Greenwood had potential but has never really made the most of that. 

5 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

I thought Greenwood was alright. He's a run of the mill forward and I thought he did a job when he was asked, which was basically fill in for others in a few games.

I think the problem with signing english players is that they are hyped up and they either need to be stars or they are failures. Which is mad because I suspect they are on a lot less than a lot of the Aussies.

Clarke isnt Hodgson. I think hed do a good job for you, off the bench or an stand in for a few games. But I think if he does get signed he'll be big news and then dubbed a failure pretty quickly. I think the same is about to happen with thompson at the dogs btw. 

17 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I thought Greenwood was alright. He's a run of the mill forward and I thought he did a job when he was asked, which was basically fill in for others in a few games.

I think the problem with signing english players is that they are hyped up and they either need to be stars or they are failures. Which is mad because I suspect they are on a lot less than a lot of the Aussies.

Clarke isnt Hodgson. I think hed do a good job for you, off the bench or an stand in for a few games. But I think if he does get signed he'll be big news and then dubbed a failure pretty quickly. I think the same is about to happen with thompson at the dogs btw. 

Indeed, I've always been concerned about how some English players seem to take any NRL club when quite obviously not all are equal. The dogs recently and especially the Titans generally have been rubbish regardless of the English players they've had. For Thompson signing for the dogs is a bit like Boyd Cordner coming to England and signing for Hull KR.

I think a few get blinded by the name "NRL" and for some players that has really damaged their career.

5 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

Far better than Hodgson, who was bang average in SL but not as good as Roby. Clarke is a former SL Man of Steel and Wire pay good wages to their best players so don't expect him to go to Oz without a decent transfer fee and big money- and transfer fees are what the NRL clubs don't seem to pay.

He would be successful in the NRL as he's a top top player and someone Andrew Johns has said in the past is a great player the NRL clubs should be looking at.

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

every player we’ve signed from England (Mathers, Watkins, Sarginson and Greenwood) have been god-awful.

Ah! The master plan is working! 😀😀😀😀

To be fair of the 4 players named above only Watkins would be classed as a top SL player and he was awful for the 12 months before he went to the NRL as his head wasn't in the right place - Leeds were happy to offload him to any NRL team.

No matter which SL player goes over the Aussies want them to fail - especially the backs. Sam Tomkins wasn't exactly a failure in the NRL in his first season he played very well and in season 2 he was injured all the time but the Aussies were baying for blood- if Sam went back tomorrow he would still be one of the best full backs in the NRL and he's now 32.

Before Hodgson went to the NRL he would have struggled to get into a list of the top 5 Super League hookers. Roby, Clark, McIlorum, Houghton were streets ahead of the rest in my opinion and players like Shaun Lunt were thought of more highly. I think any of those first 4 would have been a revelation in the NRL. Sometimes I think people put down the quality of our players that have stayed in Super League. Just playing in the NRL doesn't necessarily make you the best.

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

Before Hodgson went to the NRL he would have struggled to get into a list of the top 5 Super League hookers. Roby, Clark, McIlorum, Houghton were streets ahead of the rest in my opinion and players like Shaun Lunt were thought of more highly. I think any of those first 4 would have been a revelation in the NRL. Sometimes I think people put down the quality of our players that have stayed in Super League. Just playing in the NRL doesn't necessarily make you the best.

I've said in a previous post that if Roby had gone to the NRL he would be up there in the same bracket as Cameron Smith- Aussie coaches have said in the past the one name they always talked about before playing England was how to keep Roby quiet.

6 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

Don't you Aussies manage to create your own players anymore?  Maybe your coaches are God Awful.

Was Roby better than Hodgson in SL? Or was it maybe just that he was at saints and hodgson was playing behind a hull kr pack? It's a lot easier to look good at dummy half if your pack's much better than the opposition. If they swapped places...? 

Would roby have made it in the nrl? Maybe. But Hodgson has. And hes certainly become a multiple times better player, far better then roby ever was, because of it.

I'm probably a bit biased but I feel hes the best hooker in the world at present. When have we been able to say that about an english player in a spine position in the last 20 or 30 years? 

9 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Was Roby better than Hodgson in SL? Or was it maybe just that he was at saints and hodgson was playing behind a hull kr pack? It's a lot easier to look good at dummy half if your pack's much better than the opposition. If they swapped places...? 

Would roby have made it in the nrl? Maybe. But Hodgson has. And hes certainly become a multiple times better player, far better then roby ever was, because of it.

I'm probably a bit biased but I feel hes the best hooker in the world at present. When have we been able to say that about an english player in a spine position in the last 20 or 30 years? 

Yes Roby was far better. I'm fairly astounded really at this post. Houghton looked far better than Hodgson playing behind a similarly beaten pack. McIlroum looked better at Catalans. Clarke looked better at Castleford. This is a complete red herring.

Also what can certainly be compared is their international impact. England have always looked far better and more threatening with Roby or Clark on the field than Hodgson, who has time and again stifled play and slowed down the attack far too much.

Archived