Titans trying to sign Darryl Clarke

Is Hodgson that lad who turns up for England/GB and takes three slow steps before passing it on? If he can get on in the NRL, Clark will be a revelation.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Is Hodgson that lad who turns up for England/GB and takes three slow steps before passing it on? If he can get on in the NRL, Clark will be a revelation.

He gets picked based off playing in the NRL and not a lot else. He doesn’t particularly suit the way England want to play, so slows the attack down, but gets picked again and again. England have always looked better with Clark on the pitch. 

We definitely underrate players who stay in Super League. Clark and Roby, while still playing in Super League, have been better options internationally for England than Hodgson and even now, I think you probably have Sam Powell emerging for a claim on the hooking spot, too. The fact people are calling for England recognition for Dom Young after one game in the NRL and probably no more than ten games overall, shows we fawn over the NRL a bit much. 

17 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Clark is probably a Damien Cook style hooker, he would succeed and certainly would not be a bench player. And Hodgson is good but is not at a level Roby was at his peak. 

Roby is like a fine wine...

... I’d love to see Clarke in the NRL. Top draw IMO.

10 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Roby is like a fine wine...

Said it before , the blokes not human . The adulation Smith got in Oz then Roby should get that here . Unbelievable longevity and consistency 

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Said it before , the blokes not human . The adulation Smith got in Oz then Roby should get that here . Unbelievable longevity and consistency 

Absolutely, one of the reasons Saints have been such a good side in Superleague is James Roby

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 minute ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

Hodgson can be a bit flaky in decision making, and the Raiders look far better when he's not trying to make all the plays.  I think he'd do much better for GB if he stopped trying to do everything. 

Yep he can play for GB, as long as Roby and Clarke play for England in the WC this year..

Whatever we're called....🙂

Suggesting he's not capable of being as good as them for England is just wrong IMO. At his best for the Raiders he's superb.  I fully agree he hasn't shown it for England (or whatever we are), but I think a lot of that is him trying to take on too much responsibility, just as he has in crunch games for the Raiders.  Williams will most likely be one halfback for England, and by the end of the year they should know each other's games pretty well. 

20 minutes ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

Whatever we're called....🙂

Suggesting he's not capable of being as good as them for England is just wrong IMO. At his best for the Raiders he's superb.  I fully agree he hasn't shown it for England (or whatever we are), but I think a lot of that is him trying to take on too much responsibility, just as he has in crunch games for the Raiders.  Williams will most likely be one halfback for England, and by the end of the year they should know each other's games pretty well. 

If Roby is fit & healthy at seasons end him & Clarke will be England’s 9s for the World Cup with Hodgson battling it out with Powell & McShane in case of injuries.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Now the rules have changed in the nrl canberra seem to be playing the slowest. Playing the same way  as they did 2 years ago. Slow around the play the ball and drop offs to get to certain parts of the field for the big play. Youre right about the three steps. Then again smith wasn't the quickest out of dummy half and usually took 3 steps too! 

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, I've always been concerned about how some English players seem to take any NRL club when quite obviously not all are equal. The dogs recently and especially the Titans generally have been rubbish regardless of the English players they've had. For Thompson signing for the dogs is a bit like Boyd Cordner coming to England and signing for Hull KR.

I think a few get blinded by the name "NRL" and for some players that has really damaged their career.

The salary must be the main attraction, plus the chance of doing well and then moving to a better NRL club, but agreed Thompson’s move really did baffle me, he’s certainly not a shoe in for the WC squad now. 

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The salary must be the main attraction, plus the chance of doing well and then moving to a better NRL club, but agreed Thompson’s move really did baffle me, he’s certainly not a shoe in for the WC squad now. 

I guess, but the likes of the Titans are still a bit of a graveyard for many careers. 

I just think it shows a lack of research and happiness to go to whoever. Its not exclusive to RL players of course, but given there is only 1 alternative League to move to it should be easier to think about.

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I guess, but the likes of the Titans are still a bit of a graveyard for many careers. 

I just think it shows a lack of research and happiness to go to whoever. Its not exclusive to RL players of course, but given there is only 1 alternative League to move to it should be easier to think about.

It definitely should. I don’t see the Bulldogs as a step up from Saints currently, if anything it’s a step down in standard. Thompson must have thought of it as a stepping stone to a better NRL club. 

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The Titans are an improving outfit on & off the pitch the signings of Fifita & Tino are testament to the clubs ambition and living on the Gold Coast whilst earning good money is a decent attraction.

Archived