Titans trying to sign Darryl Clarke

Just now, The Frying Scotsman said:

It's all about opinions I guess, but yeah... Miles above IMO. 

Think we all agree the NRL is a comp of a higher standard lad but the very top SL clubs could hold their own over a season in the top half of the NRL.

Top NRL players have come over here in recent years and struggled- Merrin, Widdop etc and we have sent average SL players to the NRL and the Aussies think they are great - Sutton, Hodgson etc - even Bateman wasn't really classed as a top top SL player and went over there and hey presto he was pronounced the best 2nd rower in the world...

Also isnt the WCC about 11 - 9 to the NRL in the 2000s?? - hardly miles above - what ever that means.

I lived in Oz for a few years and was a regular at NRL games and they were great but not a patch on a Wigan V Saints, a Hull Derby game or Leeds under the lights on a Friday night for sheer enjoyment and intensity. 

Maybe give SL a go as well as the NRL kid, you may just enjoy yourself.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Think we all agree the NRL is a comp of a higher standard lad but the very top SL clubs could hold their own over a season in the top half of the NRL.

I didn't really want to stray off-topic 'lad', on a thread about D Clark. But it has been discussed on here already (quite recently). The SuperLeague dream team was announced last season and comparing it to 20 years ago was... Embarrassing if we are honest. The level of player has dropped dramatically. 

The NRL on the other hand gets stronger every year. (Again - only my opinion, but backed up by most RL fans worldwide I suspect). The League gets faster, skills get better,intensity higher, level of athletes continues to improve etc. I was really quite astonished how high the level.was last season, despite the Broncos/Dogs being a bit adrift of the rest in terms of level. The bottom of SuperLeague however, is really quite poor most years, especially after the first few.weeks of the season, when teams start to fall behind, and effectively give up.

I think anyone can see that "WCC results in the 2000s", while a certain measure of standard, are not really a serious method of comparison. (FWIW the NRL have won 7 of the last 8, and 3 of these have been 30 point hammerings! All 8 were played in England). 😆

I do watch Super League thanks 'kid', and I really enjoy it. I enjoy going to live games, and I am well aware of the atmosphere. It's very enjoyable. But from a performance point of view? Miles off the NRL nowadays IMO. 👍🏾

21 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I didn't really want to stray off-topic 'lad', on a thread about D Clark. But it has been discussed on here already (quite recently). The SuperLeague dream team was announced last season and comparing it to 20 years ago was... Embarrassing if we are honest. The level of player has dropped dramatically. 

The NRL on the other hand gets stronger every year. (Again - only my opinion, but backed up by most RL fans worldwide I suspect). The League gets faster, skills get better,intensity higher, level of athletes continues to improve etc. I was really quite astonished how high the level.was last season, despite the Broncos/Dogs being a bit adrift of the rest in terms of level. The bottom of SuperLeague however, is really quite poor most years, especially after the first few.weeks of the season, when teams start to fall behind, and effectively give up.

I think anyone can see that "WCC results in the 2000s", while a certain measure of standard, are not really a serious method of comparison. (FWIW the NRL have won 7 of the last 8, and 3 of these have been 30 point hammerings! All 8 were played in England). 😆

I do watch Super League thanks 'kid', and I really enjoy it. I enjoy going to live games, and I am well aware of the atmosphere. It's very enjoyable. But from a performance point of view? Miles off the NRL nowadays IMO. 👍🏾

Cheers son, actually 2 of those 8 recent NRL wins were played in Oz.

Maybe try some NRL games in person and then you can really compare- Still not sure what miles off means but I'm assuming its an 8 point difference that was between Saints and the Roosters in last years WCC - if it was a 10 point difference would it have been light years difference??🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Cheers son, actually 2 of those 8 recent NRL wins were played in Oz.

Maybe try some NRL games in person and then you can really compare- Still not sure what miles off means but I'm assuming its an 8 point difference that was between Saints and the Roosters in last years WCC - if it was a 10 point difference would it have been light years difference??🤣🤣🤣

No bother son. Like I say it's all about opinions. I would indeed like to try some NRL games in person. 

In my opinion there is a massive difference in intensity, skill and athleticism. I respect your opinion that the 2 competitions are a lot closer. Can't see it myself, but that's what forums are for. 

7 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Top NRL players have come over here in recent years and struggled- Merrin, Widdop etc and we have sent average SL players to the NRL and the Aussies think they are great - Sutton, Hodgson etc - even Bateman wasn't really classed as a top top SL player and went over there and hey presto he was pronounced the best 2nd rower in the world...

Also isnt the WCC about 11 - 9 to the NRL in the 2000s?? - hardly miles above - what ever that means.

I lived in Oz for a few years and was a regular at NRL games and they were great but not a patch on a Wigan V Saints, a Hull Derby game or Leeds under the lights on a Friday night for sheer enjoyment and intensity. 

The NRL is certainly a higher quality competition. At his time at Leeds Merrin was our best player. Hodgson goes well in the NRL as he would in Super League. Sutton is a steady squad player who doesn’t even make the team every week. Plenty have gone to the NRL and not been successful, Sam Tomkins, Zak Hardaker, Kallum Watkins, Ryan Hall, Joe Greenwood. Luke Thompson has looked average player over there so far. 

On 30/03/2021 at 23:20, Mr Frisky said:

Ah those NRL tinted glasses so many on here seem to wear.... - "miles above SL"....🤔🤔🤔

Ahhh .... Those Yorkshire tinted glasses so many on here seem to wear.

Assuming you watched some of the games this weekend - do you still contend that the gap is not big?

Leigh? Nowhere near the required level 

Salford? - "Championship standard" as another poster on here correctly pointed out.

Leeds? Watch the "tackling" at Jordan Turner's try for Cas. Admittedly unusual for a club with their standards, but that was bush footy level. 😆 

Seriously: watching the games this round has reinforced for me, that the NRL is currently "miles above" as you pulled me up for saying. Hull played well, (as they did previously against York) and Wire looked good against paper thin defending and a toothless attack, but the bottom end of the comp looks like semi pro stuff if I am honest.

On 28/03/2021 at 05:09, goldcoaster said:

According to the press over here we are trying to sign Warrington hooker Clarke to fill our difficult no.9 spot.

what do Wire fans think of him? Will he be a success in the NRL like Hodgson?

I am cautious as every player we’ve signed from England (Mathers, Watkins, Sarginson and Greenwood) have been god-awful.

He's amazing you'd be lucky to have him GC

55 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Assuming you watched some of the games this weekend - do you still contend that the gap is not big?

Salford? - "Championship standard" as another poster on here correctly pointed out.

Leeds? Watch the "tackling" at Jordan Turner's try for Cas. Admittedly unusual for a club with their standards, but that was bush footy level. 😆 

Seriously: watching the games this round has reinforced for me, that the NRL is currently "miles above" as you pulled me up for saying. Hull played well, (as they did previously against York) and Wire looked good against paper thin defending and a toothless attack, but the bottom end of the comp looks like semi pro stuff if I am honest.

Are you really a RL fan??

Yep the Bulldogs and Brisbane and streets ahead of the top SL teams for what I saw this weekend...🤣🤣

With questionable views like that i bet people like you keep repeating them 2 or 3 times....

3 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Are you really a RL fan??

Yep the Bulldogs and Brisbane and streets ahead of the top SL teams for what I saw this weekend...🤣🤣

With questionable views like that i bet people like you keep repeating them 2 or 3 times....

I’m surprised most haven’t figured it out yet. He’s actually got enough posts to get onto cross code now 🙄

On 30/03/2021 at 21:30, The Frying Scotsman said:

Even if that is true, Sir Kevin's point was that he is now too old for the NRL, and he is correct.

It would be absolutely astonishing if an NRL team wanted to contract him as a player given he is 36 and has never played at that level.

Good player, but he isn't going to play NRL.

He's been playing at international level for 15 years - and he's excelled at that.

Whatever your views on the NRL/SL debate, internationals are obviously a couple of levels up.

People called Romans they go the house

On 30/03/2021 at 21:44, The Frying Scotsman said:

Sure.

But your reply was to @Sir Kevin SinfieldSinfield 's point about it being too late for him to play NRL at 36. 

Roby might indeed play in the WC as you say, although I would be surprised if the coaches ignore a fully fit Hodgson given the level he is playing at, and the number of NRL players who will be at the World Cup. Perhaps Roby/Hodgson or Clark/Hodgson.

Hodgson even played a chunk of the Warriors game last week as a ball-carrying forward with the backup guy playing 9 off the bench. I can't see him missing out on the England team personally. The week-to-week level he is playing at is miles above SuperLeague.

Doesn't that suggest that he was not doing it at hooker and was moved? But I'm guessing.

6 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

After 2 rounds I would say you have a good point.  Turner must have had a course on hypnosis. A number of teams were slow in thought and deed.  But I'll wait to see 2 or 3 more rounds.

But Saints had at least 3 class players out and Wigan 4, but still looked the business.  

BTW, Hardaker looks not simply sharper, but looks trimmer.  Harry Smith almost looks big enough to play loose forward... I think that Wigans conditioning is working.   Although thanks to the wonders of wiki Hanley is 6ft and Smith is 5ft8.

Nothing is certain in life (ok, maybe death and taxes) but I would be amazed if Daryl Clark wasn't a huge success if he went to the NRL.

His distribution is fast and effective from dummy half, he is extremely dangerous running with the ball while his work rate and technique in defense is also first class.

There isn't a single part of his game that I would worry about if he went over there and he would definitely make the Titans a better team.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• 2 weeks later...

The talk of which comp is better (NRL or SL) is not worth having as it not a fair comparison. The NRL salary cap for each club is more than 3 times that of SL - money talks and if you can effectively triple your income you will go to the NRL. 

There are some great players and strong clubs in SL, but they just can’t compete with the NRL money. We’ll see more and more players come to the NRL from England, just as in football great players come to England from all over the world - it’s the richest league

On 08/04/2021 at 19:00, Dunbar said:

Nothing is certain in life (ok, maybe death and taxes) but I would be amazed if Daryl Clark wasn't a huge success if he went to the NRL.

His distribution is fast and effective from dummy half, he is extremely dangerous running with the ball while his work rate and technique in defense is also first class.

There isn't a single part of his game that I would worry about if he went over there and he would definitely make the Titans a better team.

I’m pleased to hear it. Hooker is a position we have struggled with. 

3 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

The talk of which comp is better (NRL or SL) is not worth having as it not a fair comparison. The NRL salary cap for each club is more than 3 times that of SL - money talks and if you can effectively triple your income you will go to the NRL. 

There are some great players and strong clubs in SL, but they just can’t compete with the NRL money. We’ll see more and more players come to the NRL from England, just as in football great players come to England from all over the world - it’s the richest league

Thanks scoop.😉

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I hope he wasn’t watching today , they were indescribably bad

It was bad. Very bad. No answers to Manly. And not questions themselves. 

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

Archived